Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosties in Tyrone

• 20-09-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭

Im researching a book of Ghosts in Tyrone and Im wondering if anyone has any stories. Im originally from about 5 miles out the Gortin Road and I've heard of a few stories - one out towards Aughnacloy about a woman on the road and one about a house out round mountjoy. also remember some stories about 17th century soldiers around the Hogshead. plus theres some stories of the houses on gallows hill.

Anyway, this is only at research stage so Im wondering, since I live in the other end of the country these days, if any Tyroners would be kind enough to give me a few leads ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I remember a few years back people from coalisland and nearby swore that there was a haunted house and the bbc sent out reporters to it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7811761.stm

There you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

aye - i remember that too. it was just reflections from car lights though

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AN SEANDUINE

My brother claims to have seen a figure dressed in black run across the road in front of him ,on the main Drumquin to Omagh road,around 3am one morning though maybe it was tiredness playing tricks with his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Nuser

My brother claims to have seen a figure dressed in black run across the road in front of him ,on the main Drumquin to Omagh road,around 3am one morning though maybe it was tiredness playing tricks with his mind.

Wasn't near the cinema by any chance? Lots of stories going around this long time about a ghost out that road, some woman who was knocked down years ago apparently.

Anyway op, there's a story about the parochial house in Pomeroy being haunted - you'd be safer asking the locals - and that a crucifix appears on the gable wall of the house, my da claims to have seen it!

Also, the bridge in Inishateve in Carrickmore is said to be haunted, random passengers appearing in your car!

Anyway, all the best with your research.

thanks folks ... that the cinema in Omagh? Its been years since Ive been out that wee road.

I'm going up in a month or so for a few weeks to see what I can find - Haunted Kilkenny is going to be out this Halloween, Haunted Carlow is already out and Haunted Tyrone should hopefully be out mid 2013. Cheers for the help so far.

• Advertisement

Tune into Q101 at half nine on Friday morning if anyone is interested in this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

maccored wrote: »
    Tune into Q101 at half nine on Friday morning if anyone is interested in this ...

Did ya get all sorted??

Ive heatd about the Coalisland one right enough. I'm from about there.

girl2 wrote: »
    Did ya get all sorted??

Originally from up the road from you then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blzbear

There is a haunted house on the Gortin Road, near Gortnagarn.
    It's deserted- and has been for some years. Some guys went in there to do repairs and stones started flying at them from nowhere.... Needless to say no one goes near it now- only the investigators.

gortnagarn was my backyard, my parents live in Knockmoyle. Is it before McGirrs or after it?

• Advertisement

Did ya get all sorted??

I got a few leads alright ... heading up to Omagh tomorrow for a week to see who i can talk to

Yes, near McGirrs... on the Glenpark Rd- towards Gortin direction. Almost opposite the primary school on the left hand side of the road. You cant miss it. A very spooky looking place, completely abandoned.

i know the place ... cant remember the name of who owned it. its be derelict for years but I never heard it was haunted before.. cheers ... must check that one out.

I've heard that some locals have done investigations there- but they couldn't stay long with the amount of stones flying at them.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Originally from up the road from you then!!

:eek: Ye may tell me more! Yay! I love excitement!

:eek: Ye may tell me more! Yay! I love excitement!

About 2 mile from "the island"....many a night in the venue and frankie campbells....ring any bells!!

About 2 mile from "the island"....many a night in the venue and frankie campbells....ring any bells!!

Holy God, I could know ya! I'm about a mile from the town!!

blzbear wrote: »
    I've heard that some locals have done investigations there- but they couldn't stay long with the amount of stones flying at them.

Yes - I saw video of that. Very very strange.

Holy God, I could know ya! I'm about a mile from the town!!

What direction?

What direction?

Heading out of the town then up the hill headin in the direction of clonoe chapel. Do ya get me??

• Advertisement

I do...

Are you out of the island long? I'm in Dublin for 11 years now

I still live here. Would I know you?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I do...

Are you out of the island long? I'm in Dublin for 11 years now
    I still live here. Would I know you?
    Can you take this to PM please.........or get a room :)

muffler wrote: »
    Can you take this to PM please.........or get a room :)

Muffler this is as close to excitement as I get in my boring life Nowadays!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Muffler this is as close to excitement as I get in my boring life Nowadays!!
    lol :D

I got waylaid and Im only getting to finish off this book now. Still looking for Tyrone based ghosty stories if anyone has any .... the kind though that I can interview the person that experienced it mind you. Not someones aunty's, granny's uncles pet sheep's donkey.

this is now finished. Should be out in bookshops september 2014 sometime. Got some crackers.

1426571_995321267160780_84646801846009075_n.jpg?oh=1b7334fa836b996e8ec7f38661f8c270&oe=54ADDF25

Bridge Street, Omagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Nuser wrote: »
    Wasn't near the cinema by any chance? Lots of stories going around this long time about a ghost out that road, some woman who was knocked down years ago apparently.

Had a friend who said he saw a woman run out in front of his car at around 5am one winter morn by the cinema. He didn't think it was a ghost at the time, but she disappeared into thin air. Must tell him about this..

• Advertisement
Advertisement