Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Poll: Parents versus non-parents

• 15-06-2011 10:14pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭

And one more poll!

Another topic that came up at the conference last week was the ratio of posters with kids to posters without. While I'd like to give some of the background to this poll, I suspect it may bias the results, so I'll wait until a reasonable sample of votes are cast (say, over 100 votes or a week's time, whichever comes first), then provide the context.

Thanks all!

Breakdown by gender + kids 134 votes

I'm atheist or agnostic and male, with one or more kids
    0%
    I'm atheist or agnostic and female, with one or more kids
    18%
    MrPuddingDapperGentstimpsonOrionrobindchsmokingmanlegspinDadesbad2daboneRedXIVMenaBlackhorse SlimredfacedbearZamboninozzferrahhtooJames74dvpowerrecediteBanbheblistic 25 votes
    I'm atheist or agnostic and male, without kids
    8%
    BeruthielIckle MagooMoragBoxoffrogsms horatioDublin141guppyCat MelodeonmohawkreetasipstrassiKate10 12 votes
    I'm atheist or agnostic and female, without kids
    72%
    TwoShedsJacksonStephenmewsoReconMemnochVokesZombrexDr. LoonseamusBottle_of_SmokeCrucifixZillahJohnKSarkyaxerMorbertOtaconCerebralCortexSkrynesaverWibbs 97 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not now and not any time soon hopefully!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not now and not any time soon hopefully!

Ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

2 kids - neither parent theistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sounds like A&A is having it's won census...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No kids, which is probably a good thing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As if parents with kids have the time to hang out here ... a bit of self-selection is inevitable, I think.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

bnt wrote: »
    As if parents with kids have the time to hang out here ... a bit of self-selection is inevitable, I think.

Er, both of the moderators have kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So yer might as well do a single/taken/marrield poll while yer at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I think polls like this (unless they are done for fun, or just to get to know people) are pointless in here. The subject sample is far too small to draw any kinds of conclusions from about atheists in general.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

strobe wrote: »
    The subject sample is far too small to draw any kinds of conclusions from about atheists in general.
    It's not about atheists in general, but boards atheists :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

One little fella under two and two more on the way before September.
    ....and each one of them will take turns to be master of the secular universe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I have no citations or links for this, maybe someone else does, but I have heard second hand that there are statistics out there showing that most users of online debate forums such as this are male and i think also often childless.

I wonder if such a thing is true does it risk skewing your poll and diluting the usefulness of it for whatever the intention is?

Also statistically when interpreting your results it would be worth noting, at least in the back of your mind, that the poll does not allow for people who came here and have been posting a long time without children, but have recently had some. My own child is 10 months old. I have been posting here for some years however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

strobe wrote: »
    I think polls like this (unless they are done for fun, or just to get to know people) are pointless in here. The subject sample is far too small to draw any kinds of conclusions from about atheists in general.

I think it's interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Not now, not ever! :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bnt wrote: »
    As if parents with kids have the time to hang out here ...

You know, some of us might have kids in their twenties ++
    My daughter is 23.
    Some of us post while in work, kids at school.
    Night time - kids in bed.
    Believe it or not, parents can and do spend some time to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Three girls, 12, 4 & 3 and one boy 8.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

None for me. Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

No kids here, thank god durex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

You'd get a better idea of the true sample size if you added options for believers and mehs who happen to be passing by as well.

Female, atheist, 1 kid, 1 on the way meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Good god! It's a sausage fest in here! :eek:

No kids here. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    I suspect it may bias the results, so I'll wait until a reasonable sample of votes are cast (say, over 100 votes or a week's time, whichever comes first), then provide the context.
    Is this to finally confirm the long-held suspicion that atheists eat their young?

Dades wrote: »
    Is this to finally confirm the long-held suspicion that atheists eat their young?
    I like the way you're thinking, but I think the gender ratios are roughly the same (or within the error bars) as the gender breakdown poll, so I tentatively conclude that there's no evidence, prima facie, that atheists don't eat their young -- yummy and all as they no doubt are.

You'd get a better idea of the true sample size if you added options for believers and mehs who happen to be passing by as well. Female, atheist, 1 kid, 1 on the way meself.
    WLT, but am looking for the breakdown amongst atheists + agnostics only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

None at the moment but some day, god willing.

I'm so hungry...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

I'm not Atheist. I'm Bipedalhumanoid. I am however, AN Atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Finally over 100, so robin what do we win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

And one more poll!

Another topic that came up at the conference last week was the ratio of posters with kids to posters without. While I'd like to give some of the background to this poll, I suspect it may bias the results, so I'll wait until a reasonable sample of votes are cast (say, over 100 votes or a week's time, whichever comes first), then provide the context.

Thanks all!

Yeah, what we win, where's all our context?

Ach, meant to get around to this last week. Humble apologies. Been busy. Mostly.

Just after the 'Women Atheist Activists' talk at the conference a few weeks back, some (female) friends were wondering about the relative silence of female atheists in Ireland and how many were posting on boards. I said we'd never done a poll here in A+A, but putting my highly inexpert finger in the air, I said that I thought it was probably between 10% and 20%. Turned out to be approximately 30% according to the first poll (stats here), which is above the average male:female ratio for boards forums (around 20% female postership, I believe).

Following on from that, one of my friends (thinking that there were a lower than expected number of female atheists posting here) wondered whether it was because women were busy with kids and simply lacked the time to post. I thought, but didn't suggest, that if it was so, then it didn't feel like that, and was possibly related instead to something which Tanya Smith mentioned in relation to job applications (the factoid that women would typically hold off applying for a job until they felt they met 90% of the criteria, while men would feel able to apply if they only met around 50%; something which she said had made her less enthusiastic about joining up with the atheist groups in Australie). And despite the forum's excellent posters, I'd have thought that A+A does set a fairly high bar conversation-wise. We talked about it for a few minutes more, but without resolving anything.

Anyhow, the figures which come out of this poll contradict the earlier poll somewhat, since the male:female ratio has reverted to 80:20, though on a smaller sample, so without running the numbers, it's possible that we're still within the error bars.

Regardless of that, the stats do show that the number of female parents (33%) is basically twice the ratio of female non-parents (15%).

I don't believe it's possible to draw much of a conclusion from this small data set, other than the simple observation that mums are twice as likely to post as non-mums, and half as likely to post as dads.

Any thoughts on this? Especially from any mums here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well as somebody who fits into absolutely no part of that category, this is something that I've mused over a couple of times.

My hypothesis is this. Firstly I'd describe atheism as a political ideology as much anything else, even though almost all our aims are secular ones and not atheism exclusive, we still group together under a single banner to promote them. The reason for this is that a larger group will have greater political clout if it is cohesive and there is a need in this for uniformity. For this reason people tend to actively participate in only a single political group at a time, because even if the groups ideologies don't clash, if you have members in distinct clashing groups, they will split and weaken the larger whole. Obviously there will be outliers who go against this, but I'd imagine it would be true for the vast majority.

Assuming that my hypothesis is true, then I'd imagine that most women who would otherwise be motivated to join us are instead joining feminist groups (in the classical sense) as given a choice between the two, that is where the issues that most directly affect them are addressed.

Just my opinion on the matter anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Regardless of that, the stats do show that the number of female parents (33%) is basically twice the ratio of female non-parents (15%).

I don't believe it's possible to draw much of a conclusion from this small data set, other than the simple observation that mums are twice as likely to post as non-mums, and half as likely to post as dads.

The poll in this thread don't show those stats at the mo - so perhaps the only thing it suggests is female non-parents have been slower to vote? :D

Advertisement