Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoHardOrGoHome 2: Go Harder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

2011-10-20 Saturday 12.7k

Jogged from Terenure out to Marley Park and back by Dundrum to make 12.7. Added in just a couple of fartlekky type sections but not enough to call it a quality session. Surprised to actually fell the quads a bit tight later that evening. Didn't stay though. Woke up fresh on Sunday.

Total for the day 12.7k
    Week to date 98.2k
    Running streak = 13 days!

2011-10-21 Sunday 5 miserable K

Had a busy day so kept putting off my long run which should have been around 20k or 2 hours. It got too late and all I was bothered doing that late at night was 5k. Still, I kept my streak going. It was never in doubt that I was going to run it was just a matter of how far.

Total for the day 5k
    Week to date 103.2k
    Running streak = 14 days!

Very happy to hit 100k. I had lost track of the weekly total and I thought I had come to around 98k but having just come back to this log I see I got to 103k. Sweet! Definitely a record for me.

I also had a weights induction and my first weights session on Friday which included (if I can remember them)
    lat raises
    lat pulldown
    bench press (2 dumbells)
    bicep curl
    ab crunch thing (can't remember what it's called)
    tricep pulldown?
    side bend with a kettle bell
    back extension (on the Swiss ball)

She gave me a couple of machine weights for my legs but I don't think she realises I'm running 7 days a week. Don't really want to fatigue my legs with non-running-specific exercise. I'd prefer to do hill bounding.

The abs exercise was fairly tough to complete but it was nothing compared to the pain I endured on Saturday, Sunday and to a lesser extent Monday. By Tuesday the tenderness had subsided. Until then I felt that somebody had expertly beaten me up. Unbelievable pain. Shows what a weak core I have. Reckon this will stand to me. Going to head to the gym twice per week until Christmas and see if I can handle 3 days and also change the routine around.

2 hours mountain biking on Friday. Not a huge amount of cross training this week.

Weekly Summary 2010-11-15 to 2010-11-21

Day|Distance (K)|Pace
    Monday|20.8|easy|
    Tuesday|17.3|8k intervals, the rest easy|
    Wednesday|9.5|easy|
    Thursday|19.9|12 easy, 8 hilly|
    Friday|19|easy|
    Saturday|12.7|easy/fartlek|
    Sunday|5|easy|
    Total|103.2

Cross training

Day|Activity|Distance|Time
    Monday|
    Tuesday|
    Wednesday|
    Thursday|
    Friday|Mountain biking|?|2 hours|
    Friday|Gym/Weights||1 hour|
    Saturday|
    Sunday|
    Total|||3 hours|

2011-10-22 Monday 9k

9k with JeffOnTour. Easy

Total for the day 9k
    Week to date 9k
    Running streak = 15 days!

2011-10-23 Tuesday 11k

Missed Rathfarnam interval session so took the opportunity to show a couple of friends the idea behind intervals. Did four intervals at an appropriate pace for them and did one last one faster on my own. 3:27 for the faster one. Don't think I could hold that for four reps let alone eight. Might try to push 3:35 next time instead of 3:40/3:42/3:44. That will be hard.

With warmup and warm down the total was 11k

Total for the day 11k
    Week to date 20k
    Running streak = 16 days!

2011-10-24 Wednesday 15.3k

6k commute followed by longer 9.3k circuitous commute home.

Gym session - 1 hour-ish.

Total for the day 15.3k
    Week to date 35.3k
    Running streak = 17 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You're flying Eamonn. Keep it up. Easy on the running streak stuff. Might be more preferable to take a rest day if you're tired than risking burning the candle at both ends.

• Advertisement

2011-10-25 Thursday 11.4

11.4 @5:17/k felt bored. Into town and back home

Had a massage tonight. Excellent!

2011-10-26 Friday 16.4

Super 16.4k run with Jeff. Started slow but we both felt nice and quick. @4:47/k pace. Last 7k were @4:32/k

2011-10-27 Saturday 4.4k

The bare minimum. Headed into town for friend's 30th so the lads had to wait for me to squeeze in my run. 4.4k @5:27/k

2011-10-28 Sunday 11.6

11.6 @ 5:50/k. Up to Marley park and back.

Weekly Summary 2010-11-22 to 2010-11-28

Day|Distance (K)|Pace
    Monday|9k|easy|
    Tuesday|11k|fartlek but easy overall
    Wednesday|15.6|easy|
    Thursday|11.4|easy (felt tough, wasn't interested)|
    Friday|16.4|started easy finished quick|
    Saturday|4.4|easy|
    Sunday|11.6|easy|
    Total|79.4

2011-10-29 Monday 4.05 @5:05/k

Bare minimum. Running as a commute is a great way to build mileage easily.

2011-10-30 Tuesday 4:03 @5:37/k

4k local loop.

2011-11-01 Wednesday 19.25 @6:24/k

Headed out to Ticknock/Three Rock in all my gear. Took me 1h03 to summit Three Rock. Had to walk all the way up the Boneshaker. Should have just gone up the road. I could have run that route. Who would have thought that light pollution could be so beautiful up there. Thought my descent would take about 40 but it actually took 59 minutes. I was getting tired I suppose and I wasn't able to leg it down the descents. Had to be careful.

Listened to All Day - new Girl Talk album. Great running music.

2011-11-02 Thursday 6.2@ 5:41/k

Just ran around Bushy park for a while in a blizzard. The hill was packed with kids - 150/200 probably. All with sleds. Nice to see!

Running Streak is now 25 days!

You're flying Eamonn. Keep it up. Easy on the running streak stuff. Might be more preferable to take a rest day if you're tired than risking burning the candle at both ends.

Rene had a good article about being doing doubles for the sake of it and doing running streaks for the sake of it. High mileage is vital to improvement but running every day isn't. However the whole streak thing is incredibly motivating and usually when I feel tired before a run it's actually just laziness. When I actually get out there I feel great. If I'm actually sick or run down I won't go out and do a run even if it's only 20 minutes. No Ron Hill running on a broken leg for me.

Almost all my runs have been easy pace: between 5:00/k and 6:00/k. Intervals are obviously quicker, that one tempo I did with Jeff was around 4:30 pace towards the end but felt easy but everything is going to plan. I'll introduce a couple of quality sessions and see how the body responds. Real/structured training starts on 2nd of January with a long run.

I'm going skiing on the 12th of January. So that will be a challenge to the streak. Then again I love running in the snow!

Possible revival of this log to shame myself into doing some training.

Just saw a thread I posted a year ago of a 100k week. Circumstances were slightly different and I had a bit more time but this is ridiculous.

Saturday before last I did Achill Roar which was grand. Legs were sore from the cycling though. Took it fairly easy on the run. I was caught by too many cyclists even though I was working well with Nerraw1111.

Went for a 30 minute run on Tuesday, 30 minute lunch time run on Friday and a 35 minute run on Saturday. Pretty pathetic.

On the good side I did three strength sessions spurred on by T Runners excellent challenge thread and discussion thread. (I'll post links later).

• Advertisement

Good first day to the week even though I skipped my planned lunchtime run.

50 minutes run around Bushy park - easy pace. Also did my usual strength routine of the plank (four variations) and the Myrtl routine (explanation to follow).

Going to do the Powerscourt Wicklow Adventure Race this Saturday which will be one of the last races I do this year.

Need to get some solid training done over the winter.

Will hopefully turn up to a few cross country novice races which I've never done before. I'm not targeting these particularly I just think it's probably a good idea to put myself under some race pressure. Too often in IMRA races I find myself running alone and not under any pressure to speed up. (Would also help if I had the training to allow myself to speed up).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I give you three weeks! :pac:

Any plans for next year yet?

Jeez! I'd take three solid weeks of training. I'm going for one week at a time!

No one focus for next year. I reckon if I get solid consistent training over winter then I can focus on particular events later on in the year. So in February I can prepare a list of one or two A races to work towards and a couple of lesser B races.

If the summer goes well I might tag on a Dublin marathon with 6/8 weeks of focussed training. (This is assuming I'm doing relatively high mileage year round - says the guy who can't remember the last time he ran for an hour).

50 minute run in Bushy today. Not easy pace. Medium pace?!

Also 15 minutes of core work. Felt good.

Going well so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

50 minute run in Bushy today. Not easy pace. Medium pace?!

Also 15 minutes of core work. Felt good.

Going well so far!

Welcome back to the training log zone :) Do you wear a garmin Eamonn? What pace is medium? Whats your easy?

See ya on Saturday. I'll be marshalling on the Sugarloaf.

Welcome back to the training log zone :) Do you wear a garmin Eamonn? What pace is medium? Whats your easy?

See ya on Saturday. I'll be marshalling on the Sugarloaf.

Hopefully I'll stay here longer than the last time.

My Garmin is faulty. I'm sending it back to get a replacement at a cost of approximately 50 sterling which is not bad.

Easy is quite slow. Slower than 8 minute miles or 5 minute Ks. I reckon 5:30 per K. I'm often running with somebody else so this dictates the pace.

I was probably doing 4:30s on my medium pace. Don't know what that corresponds to in your olde worlde measurements!

I'll get the Garmin back and keep an eye on the pace. When I was following Rene's plan it had a gradual progression to doing your longish aerobic runs quicker and quicker as you got fitter so that it still felt easy. You weren't artificially keeping yourself slow. After a month or so of consistent training running 4:50 Ks seemed as easy as running 5:00 Ks did before the improvement in fitness.

No run for me today unfortunately, work and life got in the way. Might just make time for a quick core session.

Great! See you on Saturday! I'll attempt to bring a smile! :D

Any boardsies doing WAR Powerscourt? Couldn't find an event thread. There's probably an amalgamated super WAR thread covering the different races but I hate the search function in Boards. Very hit or miss.

I have no clue going into this race. Hopefully take it easy as much as I can because the last cycle is going to be tough for me. Especially seeing as there's no Nerraw to work with me!

Only really posting to try to keep the habit of checking in here.

Didn't get to go to Rene's cross country running session due to work pressure. Hopefully it's only temporary.

In other news I'm reading a book called Getting Things Done which should help me fit in training with personal and work life. It's pretty good!

I did get a good 15 minute core/strength session in. Not sure how to measure the effects. May only see a result when I do a half marathon.

Just 5 minutes of core work today. Knackered.

Absolutely gorgeous route for Powerscourt WAR on Saturday. Just felt slow from the start. Wasn't flying but was okay until Maulin came along and I couldn't get going. I couldn't even let the legs go downhill. That was very, very slow. One of those races that I just wanted to end. I'm not normally like that. Prep for the race wasn't great and I had a bit of sleep deficit in the week leading up to it. Would love to do it next year and take 30/40 minutes off it. Then I'd be approaching the level of the leading ladies.

Came in just under 4 hours.

Monday: 30 minute run (approx 6k)

10 minutes of core/strength.

Tuesday 30 minute run (approx 6k)

10 minutes of core/strength.

Had a great massage this evening. I was whimpering when she worked on my left IT band. Aiming to get a massage every fortnight. Not that I'm doing any mileage to justify it!

• Advertisement

Wednesday

25 minute run to work (4.6k).
    Felt exhausted. Might be coming down with something.

25 minute run home. 4.6k. Did not feel energetic. Will take it easy this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Hi E,

You planning on a return to your 2010 form? That'll make 2012 IMRA competitive! I'll tentatively welcome it as long as I dont get my ass kicked in every race. :pac:

Hi E,

You planning on a return to your 2010 form? That'll make 2012 IMRA competitive! I'll tentatively welcome it as long as I dont get my ass kicked in every race. :pac:

I've been so busy that I didn't even see your note on this page all of two weeks ago. Very poor!

Yes! I am planning to be competitive next year. Big time. There's been a huge swing in relative performance between the two of you. I got slower but you got way, way faster.

Next year I'll be your challenger again!

No strength sessions this week. No runs.

Pretty pathetic. I could bring up work, family commitments but hey that's the challenge isn't it!

Quick update:

Monday 2011-10-10 6k run in Terenure - 30 minutes.

Wednesday 2011-10-12 5 minute plank session from RQ's video.
    Thursday 2011-10-13 5 minute plank session from RQ's video.

Monday 2011-10-17 quick jog

4.3k in 20 minutes.

Tuesday 2011-10-18 commute to and from work.

4.6k in the morning - 21 minutes.
    6.0k in the evening - 30 minutes.

Wednesday:

commute in and out and 4k jog with house mate.

13k in total.
    average pace 4:52/k

Thursday 22 minutes - 4k

Friday 4.6 + 4.6 = 9.2k

Saturday 10.8k - 60 minutes (one of sister's last training runs before Dublin City Marathon).

• Advertisement

So despite work pressures I managed to put together a decent week made up of very short manageable runs!

Ran 7 days this week.
    11 runs.
    Total distance 58 kilometres
    Time - 5 hours
    Average pace 5:09/k

By commuting to work I managed to fit in a decent amount of running without it being too much of a burden.

Core strength work:
    Friday - 5 minutes
    Saturday - 15 minutes
    Sunday - 15 minutes

Muscles trembling, sweating - think I'm doing it right!

Advertisement