Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

cant say i feel sorry for Sean Quinn. It seems he has done everything he can to keep foreign assets from the reach of debtors!

he only has himself to blame! greed is a terrible thing

Too true he would have still been a very wealthy man if he had of stopped trying to make more and more . He was very foolish and its good to see that the super wealthy have got burned by anglo irish . I just hope we see more of them loose alot for inflicting the state with that crap hole of a bank .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

In my experience most wealthy people I know in Ireland made their money by being totally immoral gangsters but trying to keep a pretend veneer of respectability on the outside.
    Let's face it, there are very few sustainable and legit ways of making lots of money in Ireland, and I would be very suspicious of anyone who appears to have.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Oh how the mighty have fallen. That sounds a bit mean but with the way things are in this country at the minute it is so hard to feel anything but annoyance at the Quinn family.
    I mean I suppose its only natural that they are trying to keep assets out of the banks hands but when you read that his children can't manage to live on 2 grand a week it just raises my blood pressure slightly.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I don't know (sure it has though) if it's been mentioned but what the absolute fúck would be the point of imposing fines on these bankrupt cúnts? Jail please.

Wonder what would happen in America, he's still largely treated with a massive amount of undeserved consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Jay D wrote: »
    I don't know (sure it has though) if it's been mentioned but what the absolute fúck would be the point of imposing fines on these bankrupt cúnts? Jail please.

Wonder what would happen in America, he's still largely treated with a massive amount of undeserved consideration.

Jail and fines. !
    He'll have money stashed away or his family will. the whole bankrupcy system in ireland is not fit for purpose. See sean fitzpatrick + wife for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Looks like he Was a good businessman, but a lousy gambler, or maybe it was all going down the tubes and he tried the big punt on Anglo to bale out the empire.
    Either way it seems plain crazy with hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1111/breaking26.html

Declared bankrupt in Northern Ireland today. I hope all of those who defended him as a great businessman who did so much for his home region cop on now and recognise how much damage his speculation did to the country.

were you ever as rich as him? Just a question. he may have gotten greedy, but have you had his bank balance ever appear on your atm card

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Sean Quinn was unable to transfer the requested funds to IBRC as his account was affected by the Ulsterbank debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

The fact that he made one terrible investment should not take away from the fact that at one time he was one of Irelands greatest success stories and provided employment for thousands of Irish people.

Yes his legacy is tarnished.

Yes the taxpayer is getting hit for his gamble and we are angry.

Yes he is trying to hide assets to provide for his family down the line (most of us would do the same) that will have to be covered by the taxpayer for whatever he manages to hide away.

Yes he is a great businessman. That is the question that was asked!

Should he go to jail for the anglo investment - absolutely not.

Should he go to jail for defying a high court order and doing crap like selling e15m worth of property for a laptop - yes.

Will he spend a reasonable amount of time - will he fcuk, appeal appeal after appeal from solicitor mates working pro bono will make sure of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Well, any supporters willing to weigh in now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

shangri la wrote: »
    The fact that he made one terrible investment should not take away from the fact that at one time he was one of Irelands greatest success stories and provided employment for thousands of Irish people.

Yes his legacy is tarnished.

Yes the taxpayer is getting hit for his gamble and we are angry.

Yes he is trying to hide assets to provide for his family down the line (most of us would do the same) that will have to be covered by the taxpayer for whatever he manages to hide away.

Yes he is a great businessman. That is the question that was asked!

Should he go to jail for the anglo investment - absolutely not.

Should he go to jail for defying a high court order and doing crap like selling e15m worth of property for a laptop - yes.

Will he spend a reasonable amount of time - will he fcuk, appeal appeal after appeal from solicitor mates working pro bono will make sure of that.

Anyone could be a success story if they could borrow money without having to worry about paying it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I think the three of them should have been jailed because they were either not guilty or all guilty of contempt but I do have some sympathy for his statement that he never borrowed money from the Irish Tax payer,it was the goverment who turned it in to our debt and he could not have forseen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 patleit

So people in Cava,Leitrim etc. spoiled their votes in the childrens referendum with remarks supporting Sean Quinn. Sean Quinn by his own addmission gave the go-ahead to strip assets so his debtors could not get their hands on them. He did that for his children so he said. He wants his children to live the life of millionaires despite the fact he gambolled away the money. He does not care how his actions affect the children of others. Sad that those people who spoiled their votes in his support appear to
    think that its more important to help him hold on to the money for his children then to protect the rights of children generally in this country

patleit wrote: »
    So people in Cava,Leitrim etc. spoiled their votes in the childrens referendum with remarks supporting Sean Quinn. Sean Quinn by his own addmission gave the go-ahead to strip assets so his debtors could not get their hands on them. He did that for his children so he said. He wants his children to live the life of millionaires despite the fact he gambolled away the money. He does not care how his actions affect the children of others. Sad that those people who spoiled their votes in his support appear to
    think that its more important to help him hold on to the money for his children then to protect the rights of children generally in this country
    Talk about aiming at the wrong target! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He'll be back in business in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Sean Quinn...what a dope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

syklops wrote: »
    We lost a lot of things during the boom, but its nice to see we didnt lose everything. Things like begrudgery and the delight we have at seeing people who tried, fail.

Stay proud lazygal.

Actually it is not begrudgery but morals she is showing....something perhaps you lost during the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

A Quinn windfarm was the target of n arson attack recently. With the types of activity going on and the kind of individuals involved it indicates that Sean Qunn knew some ver shady people and dodgy operations. It seems his 'friends' show no qualms about thuggery violence and corruption etc...organized crime and mafia style business is not all that different from what we are seeing. I hope it stops before it gets out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

He made mistakes with his business choices and he will be known as a failed busines man.
    lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1111/breaking26.html

Declared bankrupt in Northern Ireland today. I hope all of those who defended him as a great businessman who did so much for his home region cop on now and recognise how much damage his speculation did to the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Mickey harte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

I used to really admire Sean Quinn for his achievements and in particularly for doing it in his own community. I also bought in to the story of the plain man who had no interest in the trappings of wealth - playing cards for tiny stakes etc..

Of all of the business people whose demise you could take pleasure in he would have been close to the last and way behind some of the property developers with their "in yer face" vulgarity or some of our tax rats.

However what made me lose my faith was
    (1) having gambled away his fortune he is not man enough to pay his debts and wants me and mine to contribute to him remaining wealthy
    (2) the sheer greed and stupidity of the Anglo gamble
    (3) the delusion of profitability of the insurance company - what the Quinns are saying is either knowingly untrue or demonstrates such a complete lack of comprehension of financial services as to undermine any reputation for business acumen
    (4) the victimhood
    (5) the "f*****g cake"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,288 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just in case anyone forgets what a great family the Quinns are - you wouldn't want to be forgetting this stuff;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Maybe the thousands who marched supporting him had a whip round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ironically he back in the news for attempting to remove mention of the quinn family from the internet.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

"Sean Quinn will be back in business within the year".

Ten years on, hows that working out?

Another gambler, playing fast and loose with peoples livelihoods. The scum of the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hard to believe this Thread started in 2011, I'd pretty much forgotten about this Debacle apart from the F*****G 2% levy we all pay annually on non life insurance policies because of this shower.

The Indo on the rampage over the Quinn families successful bid to have Google "Forget Them", regardless, I'll be reminded twice a year for the foreseeable future when I get my Home and Car Policies Renewals. 😡

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

His republican buddies must be devastated! Maybe Gaa lads will have another March for him. Unfortunately like so many before him he has the money well hidden away and won’t be dying a pauper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,213 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They won't be devastated, isn't the party leader Taoiseach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,626 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The Streisand effect should be legally required reading for anyone going for right to be forgotten

Advertisement