Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Total War Game May Be Shogun 2?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Griffin87 wrote: »
    i dunno i always get so hyped up about tw games.

But my head was wreaked after buying empire so im going just ignore the reveiws and just look at the twcenter forums.

Please dont mess this game up CA.

the game a year developement cycle is probally why the tw games are so buggy at the moment.

Are they still very buggy?have'nt played them in a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Are they still very buggy?have'nt played them in a while now.

I've gotten them all within a few months of release, and I hadn't noticed too many bugs to be honest. Main problem has been the battle and campaign AI being a bit pants.

I still love Empire and Napoleon TW, going to try some multiplayer campaign this week and see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I've gotten them all within a few months of release, and I hadn't noticed too many bugs to be honest. Main problem has been the battle and campaign AI being a bit pants.

I still love Empire and Napoleon TW, going to try some multiplayer campaign this week and see what it's like.
    Campaign AI was incredibly frustrating, especially in Shogun I. Alliances were pretty much useless, because as soon as your "ally" saw an undefended territory of yours...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Campaign AI was incredibly frustrating, especially in Shogun I. Alliances were pretty much useless, because as soon as your "ally" saw an undefended territory of yours...

He would attack?:D

Be fair to it though - how many times have you done the same thing to your allies?

I can only answer for myself - ****loads. Only in Empire have I seen alliances as anything other then temporary delays to me invading their brains out while I deal with someone else.

That's probably due to the allies' tendencies (as you say) to stab you in the back in previous games - they don't do it in Empire that much. Only now do I feel a bit of solidarity with my allies, particularly my weaker ones.

• Advertisement

Be fair to it though - how many times have you done the same thing to your allies?

I can only answer for myself - ****loads. Only in Empire have I seen alliances as anything other then temporary delays to me invading their brains out while I deal with someone else.

That's probably due to the allies' tendencies (as you say) to stab you in the back in previous games - they don't do it in Empire that much. Only now do I feel a bit of solidarity with my allies, particularly my weaker ones.
    That's it though, players don't respect alliances because the AI doesn't. I wasn't really inclined to screw my allies over until I realised that the AI doesn't particularly care about alliances.

Just remembered something else though--Geisha assassins. Those b*tches could bring down empires. Good times.

That's it though, players don't respect alliances because the AI doesn't. I wasn't really inclined to screw my allies over until I realised that the AI doesn't particularly care about alliances.

Just remembered something else though--Geisha assassins. Those b*tches could bring down empires. Good times.

Those bitches were too f*cking powerful. You could have the ****tiest army in the world but once you had a Geisha, it was a game of hide and go seek with the enemy - if he could take your provinces before you could nail his Daimyo, or vica versa. Kinda ruined the end-game for me.

I see what you're saying regarding the alliances, but for me if I saw a massive opportunity to backstab an ally and gain loads of ground, odds are I'd do it, regardless of how long we'd been allied or how loyal and helpful they'd been. Though I have to say, it is nice to have an ally you can trust in the Empire/Napoleon games. Of course, they will eventually hate you if you take over enough land via the "territorial expansion" modifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I'm probably going to buy just the limited edition for the unlockable faction some of the prices I saw quoted for the editions with the chessboard and figurine seems a bit excessive for just a game and a chessboard I'd probably never use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Not mad about the chessboard. Would have preferred a more tasteful in unpainted wood or something.

As for alliances, I don't see why they couldn't do what they used to do in Civ and give a random attribute to loyalty. Some allies would betray you, some wouldn't etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i liked how in shogun it would eventually end up with a few large factions. i dont know if it was the AI or the map but it always worked out better than the other TW games where it ends up with me steam rolling 20 tiny factions.

• Advertisement

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i liked how in shogun it would eventually end up with a few large factions. i dont know if it was the AI or the map but it always worked out better than the other TW games where it ends up with me steam rolling 20 tiny factions.
    I dunno, in Rome it always ended up me and those f*cking Egyptians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Official trailer has now been released. Looks lovely, and of course shows no gameplay whatsoever :P

Official trailer has now been released. Looks lovely, and of course shows no gameplay whatsoever :P
    Terrible trailer tbh. I am absolutely none the wiser about the game.

And what was that swordfight about, completely irrelevant.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just as well a demo is being released next week then..

22nd Feb from Steam apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I think this is one Total War game I could safely pre-order without playing the demo. There's going to be bugs (there always are) but I can't see CA messing this up. By going back to Shogun they have no new mechanics to implement like rifles or international sea trading routes.

It's a shame there's no Steam per-order bonus. I think retail copies are getting some. I would have liked if they released the original game on Steam and given it free with pre-order.

They released some "battle reports" vids, showing lots of gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Man, even if it's pre alpha it looks sweet. I've been waiting and waiting to upgrade my pc (currently dual core, Nvidia 9500) so this is a perfect excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Just like most trailers then?

Looking forward to the demo... roll on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Demo up on Steam [URL="steam://install/34350"]steam://install/34350[/URL]

Anyone download the demo?how much diskspace does it require?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

6 gigs. Another 90 minutes. Hope it doesn't suck. Empire left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Advertisement

Wow, 6GB seems large for a demo, unless I am just out of touch with modern gaming requirements (I don't play many new games).

full game is 20gb. Only played for a bit but it seems very slick indeed. Pace of the battles seems a lot quicker. Campaign map is really nice. Music in the loading screen is the same as that from the first game. Performance is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Downloaded the demo last nite. should get a game in tonight. i heard the demo is scripted so we cant judge the batte ai.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

started downloading this morning at 6:00 am local time. its now 7:14 pm, 89% done and the speed has dropped to 3kb/s. perfect.

im actually only playing the demo to see how it runs on my laptop. every part of shogun 1 was fantastic. way ahead of its time.

Whats the A.I like?I've read on various forums that its actually smart :O

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

played the demo last nite. The Battle Ai is scripted in the demo so we cant tell weather the ai is any better.

They done this with the Empire demo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I swore after the fiasco that was Empire I'd never preorder a TW game again, but damn them, something about them going back to Shogun just fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling, an I loved the demo, even with scripted battle AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

What graphics cards are folks going to run this on? I've got a 285 and want to run on 1900x1200 on high(ish) settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Wezo1994

Just been playing the Demo of Shogun 2 and it is UTTERLY AMAZING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

Just played the demo and I have to say the battle graphics are absolutely awesome!! I've a 465 and I could play it on all ultra settings at 1920x1200p but it wouldn't let me turn on any anti-aliasing which was a little worrying!

Advertisement