Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why has zispin so many names in the republic of ireland

• 06-01-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

why has zispin got so many names here
    is there a difference between them.ive been prescribed mirap by my gp but was told i was going on zispin by my physiatrist i take it there is no difference but i dont get why it has so many names
    bexzis,tazamel,zismirt,zistap,mirap,zispin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Like every drug, there are different trade names. As far as I know, all the names you listed contain Mirtazapine.

Short answer - different 'brands' which contain the same ingredient.

NOTE: I am not a doctor. Just from experience from working in pharmacys, surgerys etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

once amedicine goes off patent, any company can amke it, so they then make it and sell it cheaper than the original version.

similar to panadol and paralief and multiple other things all being brands of paracetamol

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

soon30 wrote: »
    why has zispin got so many names here
    is there a difference between them.ive been prescribed mirap by my gp but was told i was going on zispin by my physiatrist i take it there is no difference but i dont get why it has so many names
    bexzis,tazamel,zismirt,zistap,mirap,zispin

They are all names for mirtazapine. The reason why there are so many "brands" is because, like many things in Ireland, there exists the farcical situation where we have a "branded generic" industry. I'm sure locum-motion can probably confirm it, but I'm willing to bet that nearly all these branded generics cost only fractionally less than the original brand (Zispin), which is a nonsense to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 soon30

you must be wright somedose as as far as i can see ireland is the only country to have so many names for this drug most countrys seem to have only 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It doesn't matter how many brands of generics there are the issue is the price. In other countries there are a number of brands doing generics too but they may not have fancy names. We pay too much here for generics, look at the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055480689

Have a look at the thread above. I believe it will answer the question in full. If it doesn't, come back and let me know.

Advertisement