Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way for a classical guitarist to get a decent gig in Limerick?

• 18-02-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭

Not sure this is the right platform but here goes anyway.

A classical guitarist friend of mine is trying to get some possible venues for gigs around the country and I told him I'd put out feelers in the Limerick region.

He's a top-notch performer but it's a niche market and times are hard but if anyone has any suggestions for him to get a gig, they would be welcome.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Raiser

It would be a pity if he couldn't get somewhere - Classical guitar doesn't translate on TV but its amazing live.

- Best of luck with the search.

P.S. Tell him to ring every number he can get his hands on - Just needs a couple of people with a bit of sense to say yes - Especially with the pubs and clubs being quiet 7 days a week now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    It would be a pity if he couldn't get somewhere - Classical guitar doesn't translate on TV but its amazing live.- Best of luck with the search.

P.S. Tell him to ring every number he can get his hands on - Just needs a couple of people with a bit of sense to say yes - Especially with the pubs and clubs being quiet 7 days a week now.....

So true. I know when Thomas Leeb last played in Limerick (was around the time there was an international guitar festival in Cork I think, possibly 2005) he sounded amazing in an intimate setting. But even a fairly well known guitarist like him had to work hard to get somewhere to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The reality is most punters want a human juke box, and you will find it hard to get steady paying gigs as a classical guitarist in Limerick. They will more tha likely want to jump around to the Galway Girl than listen to you expertly playing your guitar.
    You could go down the original music route and get support slots, but majority of these won't pay....

Advertisement