Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you think we'll have touchscreen laptops (in mainstream comps)

• 29-03-2012 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

When do you think we will start seeing touchscreen laptops? Has to be soon enough right? I know they probably exist out there at present, but I mean touchscreen being included on flagship models, so lets say the next macbooks or any of the high level samsungs.

I'm not proposing that it would replace trackpads, but compliment them. I guess its pretty much here with the Asus tranformer prime, and with windows 8 looking like it will be very touch friendly... when will we see touchscreen laptops becoming mainstream? (Because if its soon enough I might not buy a new laptop till then!)

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to your views

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

It's just a fad - those toys will be used by marketing people until the novelty wears off. The rest of us will continue to do real work on real machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,481 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Multi-Touch input devices already exist. Check out the Explorer Touch Mouse from Microsoft.

I find the whole concept of a touchscreen laptop a bit silly, but hey they made the ASUS Transformer didn't they.

It won't be far away if Microsoft get their way with Windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Reaching over your keyboard to touch a screen and put a big fingerprint on it seems a bit silly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think touchscreen laptops are a good idea at all. Windows 8 is very difficult to use with a mouse or touchpad at times so maybe we might see a few by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Reaching over your keyboard to touch a screen and put a big fingerprint on it seems a bit silly to me.

Gorilla Glass with some kind of oil-repelling coating would solve that issue, I suppose. With the kind of margins that computer manufacturers are getting, I don't see it in the lower/mid end for a while. They'd have to engineer screen hinges and the surrounding to be stronger for laptops, that isn't cheap.

I'm surprised Microsoft aren't doing some kind of proper desktop interface for Windows 8 tbh (rather than yet another app on the Metro interface), are they just hoping businesses will keep buying Windows 7 licences?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    It's just a fad - those toys will be used by marketing people until the novelty wears off. The rest of us will continue to do real work on real machines.

Hey now, I'm no touch screen fanatic, but I imagine there would be occasional uses for it and that it would be nice to have OPTION to have touch functionality.

I don't see myself leaving my mouse for most usage anytime soon, but I still think that touch/S-pen-esque functionality would be good to have as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Clearpreso wrote: »
    When do you think we will start seeing touchscreen laptops? Has to be soon enough right? I know they probably exist out there at present, but I mean touchscreen being included on flagship models, so lets say the next macbooks or any of the high level samsungs.

I'm not proposing that it would replace trackpads, but compliment them. I guess its pretty much here with the Asus tranformer prime, and with windows 8 looking like it will be very touch friendly... when will we see touchscreen laptops becoming mainstream? (Because if its soon enough I might not buy a new laptop till then!)

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to your views

3 years ago..... http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/27/hp-pavilion-dv3-with-multitouch-screen-spotted-in-the-wild-we-g/

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

First decent implementation of this is the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga, which is to be introduced before the end of the year!
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/lenovos-ideapad-yoga-convertible-tablet-runs-windows-8-is-set/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

stevenf17 wrote: »
    First descent implementation of this is the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga

Hardly innovative, more like a copycat of the Noahpad... ;)

4slOn.jpg

And Dell has this for quite some time

bGA5O.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Torqay wrote: »
    Hardly innovative, more like a copycat of the Noahpad... ;)

And Dell has this for quite some time

I never said it was innovative, :p
    Just that in my opinion its the frist decent implementation of this form factor.

And that Dell.... I wouldn't put someone through the pain of having to use an atom processor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Well the thought of touch screen laptops has never ever crossed my mind, ever. But thanks for making apparent where this big, massive hole in my life has been all this time.

I suppose when everyone totally loses perspective on things and can actually afford to get a touch screen laptop fixed shall we see mindless consumerism back in full flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

stevenf17 wrote: »
    I never said it was innovative, :p
    Just that in my opinion its the frist decent implementation of this form factor.

And that Dell.... I wouldn't put someone through the pain of having to use an atom processor!

Dell very quietly discontinued that line having (slowly) realized no-one was insane enough to pay nearly 600 quid for a jumped up netbook.

Advertisement