Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little accent confusion

• 07-03-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not native English speaker.
    I found some old comedy video which I find quite funny
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCJfY7TIko
    As I understand most of it, I don't know 2 things.

1. Why is the guy saying with Scottish accent, while I understand him and his mate are from Birmingham (as far as I know it's not in Scotland).

2. Even I listened to it good few times, I can understand last sentence - precisely what he said after "I've been joking to him .... " ?

As by living in Ireland I got used to Irish accent, Scottish accent is still a big mystery for me...

Thanks for explainin.

[

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Just to make it easier to see ;)

BTW, there's no Scottish accent. Jasper Carrot is from Birmingham and has put on a Mancs accent during this routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

He says "I've been talking to them while you were in the bog, I've been telling them how lucky they are to be..." I don't know the last word. Terminal? Two-one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Two-one up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

deman wrote: »

BTW, there's no Scottish accent. Jasper Carrot is from Birmingham and has put on a Mancs accent during this routine.

I thought it was Scottish. Anyway I listened a bit to accents today, and I think I can hear the difference now ;)

Anyway it confuses me even more.
    What the whole joke is about - if there were hundreds United fans around, and guys are from Birmingham, why are they speaking with Manchester accent?

I seemed to be funny for me, but now I think I just don't understand the main sense of this joke.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Two-one up

And what does this expression mean ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

leading by two goals to one

CiniO wrote: »
    I thought it was Scottish. Anyway I listened a bit to accents today, and I think I can hear the difference now ;)

Anyway it confuses me even more.
    What the whole joke is about - if there were hundreds United fans around, and guys are from Birmingham, why are they speaking with Manchester accent?

I seemed to be funny for me, but now I think I just don't understand the main sense of this joke.

They didnt want to get beaten up by all the Utd fans for being outsiders

They didnt want to get beaten up by all the Utd fans for being outsiders

So why did he say, that everybody know they are from Birmingham?

CiniO wrote: »
    So why did he say, that everybody know they are from Birmingham?

They knew because his friend was shouting across the room to him in his thick birmingham accent, its a very distinct accent

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Two-one up

Oh. Sports. Of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement