Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is lucozade bad for you?

• 18-11-2005 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Ever since I gave up smoking (about 2 weeks ago) I've been hooked on the stuff (lucozade original), drink about 2 litres of it a day, just wondering what effect this could have on my health.. suppose it can't be worse than tobacco.. also why is lucozade so much more expensive than other soft drinks (Like €3 for 2 litres, compared to about €1.70 for coke/7up/etc) Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Yep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Well nothing that contains large quantities of both sugar and caffeine is particularly good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I used get an insanely bad headache as a child if I drank lucozade...never happened with any other soft drink.
    Personally I'd go for a sugary option over the artificial sweetener option every time...I trust sugar over synthesised chemicals especially in something I tend to ingest a lot of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Which lucozade are we talking about? Lucozade sport or the red one with glucose.

PS - Remember the lucozade chalkey sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I suppose the thing to focus on is that it is helping you off the smokes, which are far worse for you. My grandmother used tea to give up smoking, every time she wanted a cigarette she'd pop on the kettle.

If you look up the ingredients/additives/colourings* on the web it'll detail any information about them. It's not great to be having something so sugar loaded frequently, but if you feel it is a temporary measure that you'll cut back on once the major symptoms of addiction pass, I'd say keep it up! Bear in mind that most health professionals maintain that a high sugar diet can lead to developing Type II diabetes.

* E102 (tartrazine) + E110 (sunset yellow)= bad. Lead to hyperactivity.

E number guide here: http://www.ukfoodguide.net/enumeric.htm

However, I must state that we are not in a position to give professional advice. If you have health related queries, you should visit your doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I dont think they should be allowed advertise that it "rehydrates" you faster than water??? How tf can it do that?? :confused: Water is the best thing you can possibly drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I recall my doctor saying there was something very dodgy about Lucosade in large amounts. Two litres of any soft drink a day is far from healthy, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2 Litres of Lucozade a day is very bad for you.

Its an energy drink first of all, so not only designed for sporting, 2 litres is really gonna start showing if you don't cut down.....!

Unless of course, you are a really intensive athlete :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

xzanti wrote:
    I dont think they should be allowed advertise that it "rehydrates" you faster than water??? How tf can it do that?? :confused: Water is the best thing you can possibly drink
    that's the iso tonic bit , gatorade , procari etc but they all contain sugar / glucose / destrose. Cola too gives you a boost and increases your blood sugar lever for a while, but when the caffine wears off and you fall further than if you hadn't taken the caffine/sugar.

how about a diet / caffine free lucozade type drink ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

xzanti wrote:
    Actually, it contains electrolytes the body loses during excercise such as Potassium. It does rehydrate you faster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Shabadu wrote:
    Actually, it contains electrolytes the body loses during excercise such as Potassium. It does rehydrate you faster.

Yeah? Still tastes like fizzy p*ss though.. Think ill stick with the oul H2O tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Too much of anything will have a negative effect in someway. Some more than others of course. 2 liters is excessive

xzanti wrote:
    Yeah? Still tastes like fizzy p*ss though.. Think ill stick with the oul H2O tbh

Isotonic sports drinks like Lucozade Sport bear little or no resemblance to the orange fizzy piss that is Lucozade...

In intense activty, you loose more electrolytes through perspiration than you loose actual water....if you only replace it with water, then you're still down in electrolytes which the body has to synthsise itself in order to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Lucozade original... kept me going for three months in 2004...

Followed up by one month of multibionta to get me insides to work again... :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Shabadu wrote:
    * E102 (tartrazine) + E110 (sunset yellow)= bad. Lead to hyperactivity.
    Well that's how the people in the add behave so can't really complain. :v:

Caffine amounts in US. drinks - includes original Lucozade but not sports one
    http://www.choice.com.au/viewFullWidthPage2.aspx?id=104897&catId=100289&tid=100042&p=4

taurinefig.jpgCat's need this it would appear

smirnoff-logo-web-150.gif + taurinefig.jpg = Adventures! :v:

Advertisement