Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lissadel House Shut down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Off topic, but if people could stop spelling "decent" wrong, my twitching will probably go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Xiney wrote: »
    Off topic, but if people could stop spelling "decent" wrong, my twitching will probably go away.

you havent got a dacent Sligo accent thats why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The government were given the oppertunity to come ina nd preserve the house, they didn't and now the family that have bought it have used their right to close the house off.

To be honest there are probably people maing a fuss about it that never went to the house when it was open, the fact it is now closed or is going to be closed then people will make a fuss. I couldn't care either way as i never really seen the thrill in visiting a home that embodies everything about inequality in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I couldn't care either way as i never really seen the thrill in visiting a home that embodies everything about inequality in those days.

Hi EuskalHerria. Your name reminds me of Donostia.

The house is only a curiosity and tourist attraction now, the original family are gone.

I was driving to Raghley onle last weekend, and came out at Grange, before heading back towards Sligo. I commented to my Dad on all the many one lane "boreen" roads, in that area.
    He called them "land commision roads" that were laid for the Land Commision when these estates were being broken down into more equitable sizes for small land owners.
    The knocknarea peninsula has similar type roads. It makes you think what a very different place Ireland must have been with these vast estates, worked by tiny tenant holders with no access roads to their rented land.

Anyway, I wouldnt bother letting a big old house like that having any power over the likes of me anymore. But Id expect the council to do their bit in upholding public rights of way also.

T runner wrote: »
    The council have slipped up badly here and its a real shame fair play to the owners they had the guts and foresight to take on this mammoth project and can't fulfill all they want to with it, loss of these jobs is a big deal for the area too and the spin off money for the town - must have been millions for restraunts and shops. Hopefully the decsion of the council will be overturned and all can go back to the 40K in visitors each year.

If the council believe there are public rights of way there, they have no choice and must enforce them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

dardevle wrote: »
    while i don't see there being much loss of revenue
    on the part of the owners from closing the house down
    in the second week of january(i maybe wrong but i don't believe that many of the 40,000 visited at this time of the year),
    to have the opportunity to lay off all the staff and the accompanying
    wage bill in a time of economic crisis and get to blame the local authority
    for the layoffs is quite the stroke....i also note that they will reopen later in the year(high season?)to "fulfill obligations".;)

Exactly. I totally agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Xiney wrote: »

"dacent" is how a lot of the locals at that time (and still some today) would have pronounced the word 'decent' in years gone by. Its an Irish thing.

Hope your twitching goes away soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Jabby wrote: »
    "dacent" is how a lot of the locals at that time (and still some today) would have pronounced the word 'decent' in years gone by. Its an Irish thing.

Hope your twitching goes away soon.

Like Sligonians still say "I seen" and "he done"? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Jabby wrote: »

I think I've been in Ireland too long. These idiosyncrasies are beginning to have the same effect as nails on a chalkboard for me.

Carry on, but be nicer to each other than in the Pamela thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

If the council believe there are public rights of way there, they have no choice and must enforce them.

Sure it was the council that made them public with their recent decsion thats a fact now.

Regardless the owners can't be expected to look after a public road through their land, it was feasible when they were private hence they have closed their gates.

Way i see it as a private ROW the potential for harm was managable on the part of the owners now its public and through their land so there is way higher chance of injury etc which the owners would still have to cover for, Inusurance for the current must be way higher than the previous situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Look the man wants to shut down one way of accessing his property.....yes his property.....they have 7 kids, he wants to shut down one way of accessing the property so his family are more secure.

He is not shutting off access to the beach, he is not stopping people from walking about, he just wants to shut down access in the interests of secuirty.

The man purchased the property when no one else wanted it, has done a super job on doing it up, has brought 40,000 visitors to the place and a few serial objectors to anything to do with planning and premission and rights of way are making it impossible for a man, his wife and 7 kids to feel secure on property they own.

i think he is spot on and more luck to the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Sure it was the council that made them public with their recent decsion thats a fact now.

Regardless the owners can't be expected to look after a public road through their land, it was feasible when they were private hence they have closed their gates.

Way i see it as a private ROW the potential for harm was managable on the part of the owners now its public and through their land so there is way higher chance of injury etc which the owners would still have to cover for, Inusurance for the current must be way higher than the previous situation.

Sure it was the council that made them public with their recent decsion thats a fact now

No, it is not. Do your homework before posting: the council are trying to confirm whether rights of way exist - that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Hi to all on this thread -- know Lissadell area quite well and interested in the debate.

Obvious there are many 'locals':eek:?? in Lissadell who labour under the idea that there is a right of way in the old Demense grounds of the Gore-Booths estate.

It is without doubt that many used these roads in by gone days.

Easements in there variety are many -- won't bother to go into detail.

But net point concerning Rights of Way at Lissadell must consider that Lissadell Court was built by 1830s on a NEW SITE away from old castle Alpine Garden which had no road towards Maugherow -- so Time Immemorial argument for those who talk of ancient rights is flawed.

In the past anybody walking on foot, driving donkeys and carts, or automobiles in the time that Gore-Booths had full control, up to Sir Josslyn's death in 1944 and/or under the Ward of Court committee -- was either with permission or on licence, it was not a private right. At best anyone traversing the land was done by secret, without permission or possibly by force (often verbal) - that does not consitute a right to cross.

Anybody remotely acquainted with Lissadell will realise that the Gore-Booths in the 1950s/60s alleged that £thousands proceeds of commerical forestry etc were embezzled. With owner suffering from mental illness -- it was a 'free-for-all' with some people treating the Estate as they pleased. I'd imagine this is when those who claim a right will take advantage of the total mayhem in regards to management and access.

I'm sure many people in the vicinity of Lissadell covered the various roads within the Demense grounds, believed they were permitted to do so because they were not literally chased off the grounds, but tolerated. As to how they legally defined the act of walking or driving across these lands can be detailed as they seem to have done in affidavits or statements for the Co Development Plan motion of December last.

I listened to Ocean FM debate and Cllr Leonard said that Sligo Co Co are not trying to create any NEW public right of way. He seems to miss the point that it is either a right of way or it is not a right of way, if you are successful in court asserting it is a right of way what you are doing is getting legal sanction.

If you believe you have a PRIVATE right of way -- which is blocked -- you ask your neighbour to stop, if they refuse, you go to your solicitor and take an action to assert this right and IF as Cllr Leonard articulates on behalf of disgruntled locals or those whose legal propreitorial rights are infringement the ATTORNEY GENERAL will assist you because it is a PUBLIC RIGHT.

Of course none of the locals :eek: have done this -- but Sligo Co Councillors seem to believe the road (directly driving past an 1830s private house:eek:) is a right of way. How convenient for people after five years of the family in situ to take this course of action -- where they never have to dip into their pocket, take the risk of legal action, but are protected by a Planning Act which attacks the private rights of a family who paid for the House.

Is it me -- or is the fact that the Local Elections are coming up this year that certain Councillors have decided to come out and seek this Motion?

On this thread some person who wrote about Josslyn being in Australia -- does he recall or know of a tree dropped on the road in front of the house being left there to stop access and gates and barriers being vandalised and destroyed by anonymous people at night?

Also where are these neighbours so inconvenienced? There are about three houses towards Lissadell C of I Church, it would appear that people living in the Gate lodges contacted the local paper to say they were not in favour of Lissadell Action Group LAG Lol.

The road past the Coach house to the Beach is dangerous being narrow with embankments which means only one car can safely pass.

There are have been instances of late night thefts around the Estate reported to the Gardai.

Can anyone really be surprised that the family wish to secure a property they were told by Sligo Co Council before they bought the land that NO RIGHTS OF WAY (of whatever description exist) along with assurances by the VENDOR there was no such rights of way.

The Avenue on the Carney side up past the Coach house is regularly used during the day by many, pedestrians use it -- to my knowledge those who own Lissadell have never stopped anyone.

Some few, unrepresentative people, many dislike the owners of Lissadell erecting gates, fair enough. They might claim a right to walk and drive the lands, fair enough. Let the chips fall where they may.

In the past when Lissadell was an absolute horrendous tragedy, many of the people who claim to have long associations with the grounds didn't nothing to help the place to be developed.

Now the Councillors and those opposed to Lissadell have had their say (look at the state of Hazelwood House, the first and finest Palladian Mansion West of the Shannon, in the 1970s the Co Council, being the wonderful planners they are, allowed a Synthethic Nylon factory and then a Video Cassette Manufacturer to erect monumentally ugly plants literally a stone's throw away -- with the result that place falls into decay and fixtures stolen). Now its time for the owners of Lissadell to have their's.

Yeats trail opened and visitors will be told sorry Lissadell is closed. Sligo has lost out.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Yeats trail opened and visitors will be told sorry Lissadell is closed. Sligo has lost out.:(

well said ma'learned friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

shellyriver what a first post! welcome to the boards. Well said if there is right of way get it in court, if not they can do as they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Super post shellyriver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Look the man wants to shut down one way of accessing his property.....yes his property.....they have 7 kids, he wants to shut down one way of accessing the property so his family are more secure.

He and his family only use it as a holiday home / come here for holidays. He does not have to literally lock 400 acres to feel secure. He can lock the door of the house, the gate to the courtyard /containing the shop + cafe etc no problem.

he just wants to shut down access in the interests of secuirty.

Why did the previous ownrers not "shut down access in the interests of secuirty" so ?

The man purchased the property when no one else wanted it,
    He was reported to have paid only 1.5 million for 400 acres of land in scenic north Sligo, and the price included Lisadell house + other buildings. Maybe if people did not use the right of way going through the lands the price would have been higher ?

has done a super job on doing it up,
    Pity he did not buy most of the antiques / contents of the house at the well publicised auction at the time so....it would be a more original package now if he had.

has brought 40,000 visitors to the place and a few serial objectors to anything to do with planning and premission and rights of way are making it impossible for a man, his wife and 7 kids to feel secure on property they own.
    lol. I think he has angered more than a " few serial objectors ". Many of the locals as well as visitors to the area are not impressed with the shoddy new barrier he erected, denying access on an often and well used right of way.

Re reply from the above - tnx

I know the first blog was a bit of a tour de force -- but having searched web re the closure (having been in the House on Sunday afternoon the last day its open) I was genuinely amazed at some of the blogs.

Anyways - lets hope the hope matter is resoved ASAP. Sligo is a small area, and with the exception of Markree and Annaghmore or Coopershill has little heritage in anything like good order. Tours around Sligo Abbey and Rourke's/Parke's Castle I leave a lot to be desired.

Plans for Hazelwood have to be applauded, with a reservation over housing density -- again private finance.

Look at the bigger picture re culture/history and tourism in the area, Sligo Co Co and Corporation finances -- they can't finish new Museum up the Mall (no money), don't have finance for new bridge at Cleveragh, are paralysed as what to do with O'Connell Street (no funds).

Sligo Co Co had chance to buy Lissadell -- choked or didn't have money.

To me it seems that aside to what I wrote previously, there would appear to be a sense of grievance with the Co Council (by either Executive or Elected Representatives) to get back at 'de Landlord class'.

Will be interested in statement from the County Manager et al.

Pity only half decent local paper didn't run a more extensive article regarding the County Council meeting, which according to Cllrs was a torrid and hotly contested affair -- they all seemed like pussy cats when asked on radio 'why and what exactly they did what they did'.

This affair just reeks of the worst time of typically Irish, typically Sligo small-minded parish pump nonsense, allied with so-called libertarians who essentially without any real entitlement think they can dictate to anybody who fails to be convinced by their prejudice, disregard and often small-minded ignorance.

UP DA ROVERS!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Shellyriver,

I sincerely hope you will become a frequent poster. Absolutely 'nail on the head' in both your post's and a big +1 from me. It appears though that unless Ed Walsh is a bluffer, the game is up; "But lawyers Eddie Walsh and his wife Constance Cassidy, who bought the 400-acre estate more than five years ago, claim that irrespective of the outcome of legal action they want to wash their hands of the project." Taken from the Indo, full article here http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lissadell-owners-plan-court-action-1597829.html

Now a mate speculated the end result would always be a break up and sell off of the property in order to make €€€€€ and he may be right, but I think Walsh has enough money and his true motive in purchasing this estate was a combination of a type of lifestyle and a love of our history and old houses.

If this facility is to remain closed then shame on all involved, having being there when it was more or less abandoned and decaying and after the work done by this family I could only say that once again the people of Sligo have shot themselves in the foot.

Walsh will probably return to his other 'manor' in Kildare or Meath and recall with bitterness the process of acquiring, restoring and eventually breaking up the historic estate. The irony is that he will probably make millions at the end of it all.

He will end up having the last laugh and Sligo will end up with ......

You could'nt make it up!:confused:

To me it seems that aside to what I wrote previously, there would appear to be a sense of grievance with the Co Council (by either Executive or Elected Representatives) to get back at 'de Landlord class'.

Cannot see how you make that out. While 'de Landlord class' was treated shamefully in much of 20th century Ireland ( the carving up of the estates etc ) the country council has nowadays more to do than "get back at 'de Landlord class'" by upholding peoples right of way. Pity the new owners erected that new barrier etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

People seem very certain about the law in this matter. I doubt if there is anyone the who knows all the facts.

I am sure there is alot more to it than what we read about in the paper or hear via local pub gossip.

In other words unless we know all the facts we should be very slow to pass speculation about Rights of Way off as fact.

Where were the Sligo CC in 2003 when the place was up for sale. It appears now that the property is a success that the Council want to get a free ride on the back of the owners.

People seem very certain about the law in this matter. I doubt if there is anyone the who knows all the facts.

I am sure there is alot more to it than what we read about in the paper or hear via local pub gossip.

In other words unless we know all the facts we should be very slow to pass speculation about Rights of Way off as fact.

Where were the Sligo CC in 2003 when the place was up for sale. It appears now that the property is a success that the Council want to get a free ride on the back of the owners.

In fairness, Its not the county councils job to purchase and turn huge houses into tourist attractions. There money is far better spent on more everyday service maintenance and they have no right to invest speculatively in stuff like this using public money. It would actually be outrageous.

As regards the right of way, the owners are claiming that there are legally no rights of way. Thats a fact. If they don't want to take the council to court they should at least explain why.

The rights of way to a property and that property closing because it is not viable to continue are two distinct issues.

The only connection between those two issues are being made by the owners. It is up to them to explain exactly how they are related otherwise we should assume they are still unrelated.

It wldnt be the owners who wld take the Council to court over rights of way.

The Council wld have to initiate proceedings which I doubt they have the appetite for.

Asserting public Rights of Way in Irish law via Court is incredibly difficult.

Hi Blackbestie -- thanks for the update from the Indo concerning Eddie Walsh's expressed interest in selling Lissadell -- real shame in the short and long term.

Going back in time I was in favour of State purchasing the house -- but they didn't.

Lissadell gets kicked from both sides, one side says all the original artefacts are gone, the house is a form of shell which embodies only relicts of oppression/landlordism etc.

Others in favour of a more pro-British friendly (revisionist) history say they are not interested in the house because countess markievicz was a 'bloody thirsty murderess'.

But in my humble opinion, these are the extremes of views expressed re Lissadell -- the vast number are just genuinely interested in it as a curious relict of our shared past and a day out, along with any particular interests they may hold.

If Eddie Walsh sells the house -- best of luck to him. But I think its a pity and it's a pity there weren't 10 more couples in North Sligo like he and his wife to promote this area (like them or loathe them they did the job wonderfully).

If, as suggested, the breakup of the estate part of their exit strategy then the gombeens who offered him this, as you and your 'informed'? mate predict(ed), a very lucrative compensation package (if he is the machievellian character some view him) then he must be laughing up his sleeve at the stupidity and blundering of Sligo Co Co, as representatives of their electorate, who offered him this golden opportunity.

However maybe, just maybe, he had a love of the area, the house, ALL the characters associated with that historic home and wanted to undertake the project because he is a wealthy, ambitious and talented human! Maybe that is hard for some to understand who shuffle through this mortal coil, filled with venom and bile. None of us know everything about the place, but its important to be fair and balanced.

Those who are informed, intuitive and reflective just might entertain the prospect that there is another side to the avalanche of infective that people, including this blog, such as Jimmy hold (by the way its nothing personal, Jimmy, I don't know you -- the above is mere crystallised theorising).

But back to the real world, Lissadell is closed. If its for sale -- its a bad time to sell. There are only 400 acres at Lissadell its mostly forestry and foreshore. I suppose some in cyberworld will say he will ride back to Kildare suffering this sheckles in his back pocket, god help them!, as if is is part of a grand master plan.

Now if he sells it lets see if the State, with a second opportunity and bite of the cherry will go for Lissadell -- however, considering the shortage of available cash outlined for current projects outlined in Sligo; allied with inglorious Government killing of Cancer services in Sligo and our local reps inability to a great deal about this life-and-death matter allied with others, I very much doubt it.

There are more important things in life that all this -- 2,000 in Dell have lost their jobs, that's mind-blowing. They can't pick up a canvas and try and sell some art for inflated sums, they live in the real world.

As for local yokels, when the Gore-Booths were threatened with imprisonment by the State in the 1950s for keeping 200 people employed and looking after their non compis mentis brother, locals and local politicans invited members of the Land Commission down to CARVE UP the estate under these elderly ladies' noses! This was when the Gore-Booths had alreay released 28,000 acres of land to tenants -- under the Wyndham Act, Sir Josslyn Gore-Booth, being the first in Ireland to do this reducing the Estate to about 3,000 acres. By the way, the local farmers were only able to buy back this land after a £100,000,000.00 Million buy-out with money provided by the British Exchequer, because tenants didn't have the proverbial pot (with payments staggered over 60 years).

When they got land around the Gore-Booth estate, what do many of these beneficiaries they do apply for planning permission and sell off their sites at vastly inflated prices.

This is the mentality of some of the people you are dealing with -- either etheral and transient or reactionary post-peasantry!

That's about it, I have my say -- looks like Lissadell is closed as far as the Walshs are concerned. I don't believe its bluster or brinksmanship -- he is independently wealthy of Lissadell, best of luck to the new owner, whoever they are. However, next time it might not just be roads that people claim they are entitled to pass that will be closed but the house and general grounds itself. When dust settles and matter goes to court, could go to the Supreme Court, I don't believe the roads will be made public.

But back to the real world -- the locks are up, 11 people have lost their jobs, local businesses are now not going to benefit, Sligo no longer has a promotional and cultural asset and we are made look like a bunch of reactionary fools, cutting off our collective nose to spite our face (for the benefit of a handful of faceless individuals how either had the wherewithal, finance, brains, ability or courage to assert a right of way themselves, in which they could have been assisted (as mentioned earlier) by none other than the Attorney General.

By striking a blow against tyranny, these snivellers sought a new master, the Local Authority, and cowered under the cloak of a tax-payers blundering democrarcy. Edward Said, quoted: 'The oppressed in turn become the WORST oppressor'. What an abuse of such privilege!

Again, take a bow Sligo Co Co.:cool:

In fairness, Its not the county councils job to purchase and turn huge houses into tourist attractions. There money is far better spent on more everyday service maintenance and they have no right to invest speculatively in stuff like this using public money. It would actually be outrageous.

As regards the right of way, the owners are claiming that there are legally no rights of way. Thats a fact. If they don't want to take the council to court they should at least explain why.

The rights of way to a property and that property closing because it is not viable to continue are two distinct issues.

The only connection between those two issues are being made by the owners. It is up to them to explain exactly how they are related otherwise we should assume they are still unrelated.

Excellent post, you hit the nail on the head there....and you have done so without personally criticising another poster. Judging by the poor visitor numbers at Lisadell - certainly in the tea rooms, and by the lack of turnover in the sizeable shop there - the 11 jobs in Lisadell were not sustainable. Even the staff themselves there will tell you that. If the place was a money-making business, then certainly nobody other than a fool would shut it down in this day and age.

The owners said last week that numbers had increased from around 4000 per annum to around 40000 per annum under their ownership. Were they lying or exaggerating?

Marketing is not my field but that seems like an impressive increase.

It appears though that unless Ed Walsh is a bluffer, the game is up; "But lawyers Eddie Walsh and his wife Constance Cassidy, who bought the 400-acre estate more than five years ago, claim that irrespective of the outcome of legal action they want to wash their hands of the project." Taken from the Indo, full article here http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lissadell-owners-plan-court-action-1597829.html

I read that article as well. People would not be surprised if the estate went back on the market. I have been told from a reliable source rents were increased a lot 5 years ago, after it changed hands. It is reported to have cost only 1.5 million , or 3750 euro per acre, so it would not be surprising to see it split up, as the ground itself alone must be worth at least that.

they want to wash their hands of the project.

Typical Indo sensationalist bull****..:(

"They" claimed no such thing.

The owners said last week that numbers had increased from around 4000 per annum to around 40000 per annum under their ownership. Were they lying or exaggerating?
    I am sure the present controversy will do their business no harm when it reopens ( during the peak summer months - there is money there for the picking , showing people around the house + charging well for it ) to buy the amount of free publicity they have got nationally would easily cost hundreds of thousands.

Is the 40,000 figure since they opened or per annum ? Is it visitors to the house, or does it include visitors who may visit the cafe / shop / courtyard area only ?

Either way the 40,000 is a nice little figure. What else is in the area of historic importance for people to visit ? If it was properly managed, and if the contents of the house were all authentic Lissadel, and people were not sometimes discouraged by a barrier, I am confident visitor numbers could be higher. It is in an area of great natural beauty, not far for the main "west coast highway" full of tourists in the summer.

• Advertisement

they want to wash their hands of the project.

Typical Indo sensationalist bull****..:(

"They" claimed no such thing.

lol How are you so certain ? Are you related to the owners ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement