Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People using my email address to sign up to services

• 31-07-2012 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

My gmail address is a short one, based on my name, and likely similar to many others' names too. For a long time now people have used my email address to sign up to all sorts of stuff. I'm pretty sure it's not purposely malicious... I mean the only way to exploit that would be to have control over google's authoritative DNS servers. But, I often wonder if there is something I am missing. I don't think so, but would be curious to hear others' opinions.

Also, you'd be surprised at how many sites have auth bypass issues when accessed via links in emails. I recently got an email from a hotel in Florida where someone had used my email address to book a room. Using a link in the email, I was able to access the booking details, and could have cancelled, or added a further couple of nights with no further authentication.

Comments

Advertisement