Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commercial use of images

• 26-06-2012 2:57pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

A topic that pops up here regularly enough but here's one I hadn't seen before.

I'm just back from the Isle of Wight festival (as a punter, not a tog). One of the stands was run by Ray-Ban sunglasses and at the entrance to their stand they had a big notice which effectively said "By entering this stand you agree to be filmed/photographed and those images can and will be used commercially by Ray-Ban". (Not an exact quote but near as be damned). So just as a browsing member of the public I was either filmed or photographed secretly (I didn't see any cameras) and I gave them the right to use my image in a commercial fashion!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect their disclaimer was not worth the paper it was written on.
    model releases generally need a signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I imagine that the sign holds as much validity as the one I'm about to fashion to wear around my neck that will read "By taking my photograph and using it commercially without my written concent you agree to pay me one squillion euros." :)
    Wonder if customers who can't read would be exempt from having their photos used.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

by posting any post subsequent to this one, the poster agrees to pay the poster known as 'magicbastarder' a sum which shall not be less than €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Saw a not dissimilar poster at the bottom of Grafton Street when they were filming some low budget film :P

thank you - i accept both cash and cheques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

I'm with Ulster Bank ;):p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A topic that pops up here regularly enough but here's one I hadn't seen before.

I'm just back from the Isle of Wight festival (as a punter, not a tog). One of the stands was run by Ray-Ban sunglasses and at the entrance to their stand they had a big notice which effectively said "By entering this stand you agree to be filmed/photographed and those images can and will be used commercially by Ray-Ban". (Not an exact quote but near as be damned). So just as a browsing member of the public I was either filmed or photographed secretly (I didn't see any cameras) and I gave them the right to use my image in a commercial fashion!

Denis , did you have to pay to enter the site ? This would have a bearing on the terms I suppose

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You pay to enter the festival as a whole and the Ray Ban stand was just one of many commercial stands. You didn't have to pay to enter the Ray ban stand separately.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    I'm with Ulster Bank ;):p:D

Me too, so we're both fooked....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Iss this not somehwat similar to what allows private companies to be allowed clamp cars, That basically a sign saying if you enter here we reserve the right to do whatever we want so entering is agreeing to their T&C's

• Advertisement

the law on private clamping is vague and unproven though.

you cannot say 'by entering here, you allow us to rewrite the law as far as you are concerned'. any conditions imposed on entry must comply with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 yossor

Over in Orlando and the hotel complex we stay has a car covered with a graphic of the swimming pool. On the right front wing there is my wife sitting on the edge of the pool with one of the kids. Pic was taken about 2 yrs ago. Did not see any notices re use of pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

My Mam got a flyer in the door years ago for a floor tile place...

Shes in the photo, shopping, with her hand on the tiles we have on our kitchen floor

She called them to say why is she on it, and they insisted it's not her, that it's a model :rolleyes:

I suppose, at least someone thinks my mam is a model

Advertisement