Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cauliflower ears

• 09-11-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

I have been training bjj for 6 months and I'm not sure if I'm getting cauliflower ears.
    The top/outside of my ear is fine but just beside the ear drum there is a swelling and it is sensitive to touch. been like that for about 2 weeks now. I have a few questions:
    1) Do you think that is the begining of cauliflower ear or just a swelling from a blow to the ear?
    2) what is the best form of protection? ear protectors/rugby caps etc
    3) Do ear protectors protect 100% against cauliflower ears or can you still get it while wearing them?
    4) are you allowed wear them in competition?
    Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

nino1 wrote: »
    I have been training bjj for 6 months and I'm not sure if I'm getting cauliflower ears.
    The top/outside of my ear is fine but just beside the ear drum there is a swelling and it is sensitive to touch. been like that for about 2 weeks now. I have a few questions:
    1) Do you think that is the begining of cauliflower ear or just a swelling from a blow to the ear?
    That's how it starts! You won't get cauliflowers from one incident, it happens over time. If the swelling is big you might want to get it drained (most doctors or a nurse would do this) and give it time to heal. Whether you get it drained or not you'll need to take a bit of time off training to give it a chance, otherwise it'll probably just swell more and get worse.
    2) what is the best form of protection? ear protectors/rugby caps etc
    3) Do ear protectors protect 100% against cauliflower ears or can you still get it while wearing them?
    Wrestling ear guards help but they are no guarantee. I've been wearing them a good while and my ears are still a wee bit mangled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

syringing them is temporary measure and if you train on it your guaranteed it will just refill, go to the ear hospital and get it sliced and drained, they will stitch it and after 4-5 days your ear will be ok and wont be full of scar tissue from the syringes, my ears are caulied to bits but still have some shape due to doing that, the shape in 1 was completely gone and would have stayed like that if i did not go to the ear hospital.

On a side note, strap your ears like the rugby players do and this stops the friction that seperates the skin from the blood vessels and stops the ear filling up, if you do syringe do this and stay like that for 4-5 days to keep pressure on it, not allowing it to fill back up and allowing it to heal sealed.

Or be like some MMA fighters and let your ears get right and cauliflowerd because it will make you look cool!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

cowzerp wrote: »

Or be like some MMA fighters and let your ears get right and cauliflowerd because it will make you look cool!
    Plus chicks dig 'em ;)

Plus chicks dig 'em ;)

Digging them makes them worse-Not advised!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

My mates cauli-ear, worse I've ever seen!

309273_10150305843915680_767965679_7813639_280249_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Nathalia Damp Hedge

Holy sh*t ^^

^^^
    WTF????
    Looks more like a tumor :eek:

He had a bad one then he had a fight in which it got badly bust open. He reaction badstage was funny though when he saw it.

He had a bad one then he had a fight in which it got badly bust open. He reaction badstage was funny though when he saw it.
    Hahaha. Tell me you got that on camera.
    On a sidee note I had an extremely depressing moment last month when I wen to listen to my ipod and the in-ear headphones no longer will stay in my ears :(
    I have to walk around with the hipster Cans on now these days.

• Advertisement

I wish haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

OP don't sweat it. Contrary to popular belief, most people don't get them. If you do, be smart, get some earguards or just take a week off the mat. Get them drained and make sure you compression wrap them afterwards to prevent them filling up again. Once they're healed, wear the earguards for a little while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

cowzerp wrote: »
    go to the ear hospital and get it sliced and drained, they will stitch it and after 4-5 days your ear will be ok and wont be full of scar tissue from the syringes,

are you able to just stroll up and get this done? do you need referral from gp?
    i spoke to my gp about this (auricular hematoma) and she hadn't a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

thanks lads

what would you say gives better protection, scrum cap or wrestling ear protectors?

Obviously you can get scrum caps in any sport shop but where would you get wrestling ear protectors, any ideas, i'm based in cork city?

are you able to just stroll up and get this done? do you need referral from gp?
    i spoke to my gp about this (auricular hematoma) and she hadn't a clue?

You can just walk in but it's cheaper to be referred, once you go once you can keep going back as outpatient for months, I got about 4 done off 1 visit, even the other ear! Don't know how they did not cop that!!

thanks lads

what would you say gives better protection, scrum cap or wrestling ear protectors?

Obviously you can get scrum caps in any sport shop but where would you get wrestling ear protectors, any ideas, i'm based in cork city?

Definetly ear protectors-mostly your ears will be untouched, i wore them while my ears where sore and had no problems, the 1st time it hapened i used a scrum cap and it was better than nothing but moved about too much to be effective for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonny_10

I'm in a similar position, I have only been training a few months and had to get my ear sliced and drained yesterday. (i'm lucky that my wife is a surgeon so she did it for me at home!)

I'd say your best bet for the wrestling ear protectors is to order them online. Couldn't find any irish site but martialartsgoods.co.uk has some.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

got ear drained in the ENT hospital in Cork
    how much pressure/compression do you have to keep on the ear and for how long to stop it filling up again? Forgot to ask the doc!

They bandaged up my head to keep pressure on the ear and i look like i'm after coming out of a car crash! is that necessary?!

They banaged up my head to keep pressure on the ear and i look like i'm after coming out of a car crash! is that necessary?!
    Yes. A nurse from new Zealand put a disposable piece of plastic on mine before. but ya can't get them over here. but unless you want it to fill up again keep the bandages on a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonny_10

got ear drained in the ENT hospital in Cork
    how much pressure/compression do you have to keep on the ear and for how long to stop it filling up again? Forgot to ask the doc!

They bandaged up my head to keep pressure on the ear and i look like i'm after coming out of a car crash! is that necessary?!

The wife put dental roll in my ear and stiched it to my ear to keep the pressure on. Looks much tidier than having a bandage wrapped around your head.

• Advertisement

5-6 days I'd say, let the wound heal shut

• Registered Users Posts: 41 shanesmith

My mates cauli-ear, worse I've ever seen!

309273_10150305843915680_767965679_7813639_280249_n.jpg
    ^^^Thats what happens when u fight John Ging!

Advertisement