Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDFPA Single Lifts

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

daveyc21 infraction for breach of the peace. Thread reopened. Please dont let this take away the achievements of either lifter and personally I think petty bickering over why X pulled this is childish and does nothing for the sport. Here you have two lifters pulling over 300kg and were fighting over why they opened on 280kg and what medal they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

Hopefully Rob and Anto will go at it down in Cork next month, that'd be worth seeing or in France at the world single lifts. Anyway good for Anthony to have some real competition now and as I said before he's the type of guy that would welcome it. I also hope that Rob sticks with the powerlifting as by the sounds of it he could do any sport he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Skull wrote: »
    Hopefully Rob and Anto will go at it down in Cork next month, that'd be.

That would be a nice little event for the first Deadlift Champs alright.

10th Mar : Deadlift Champs - Co. Cork anyone got a venue? Corks only down the road :P

Its in Bandon according to the forum.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Its in Bandon according to the forum.

ok thats not just down the road :P

d'Oracle wrote: »
    That would be a nice little event for the first Deadlift Champs alright.

Another good one would be James Hickey against James O Connell, I know O Connell has been concentrating on his deadlift lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

So what's the story with the ban on people competing if involved with non-tested organisations?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

daveyc21 wrote: »
    I dont pretend to know what Anthony was thinking but in general if your specifically targeting a record especially a world record you generally wouldnt lift 93% of it as your opener. Taking James Hickey as an example. He pulled that 320kg world record as his second attempt the same attempt as Anthony. His opener was 280kg. I did reasonably the same when going for my world record. I pulled 220 as my opener and 242.5 as my record attempt. My thoughts would be and again I'm not saying your argument is any less plausible is that Anthony had a look at the openers and who was there and said right 285 to win it and then 302.5 for the record (which was impressively close btw). Could be completely wrong and wait to stand corrected!

I gave my opening weight at 8am that morning. I didnt know who was competing or what their opening lift was going to be!

I have pulled 280kg x5 that opener should have been nothing..

My second lift 302.5kg is a weight i've done for a double before..

Medals and records mean nothing me. I lift against myself. My only goal is to improve everytime i compete..

I could sit here and give a list of reasons why i had a bad day but i'm not going to. It was my own fault and its something i'll learn from..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I find this whole 'record' obsession really really odd. I'm ALL for PRs...absolutely LOVE beating MY numbers..but really couldn't care less about records. Reason being, that there are faaaar too many powerlifting federations out there..which creates faaar too many records...which means that generally the records for each federation are going to be mainly different numbers cos of different members...which means...essentially a WR isn't really a WR if someone else can lift heavier????:confused: Makes absolutely no sense to me!

Hell, if I wanted I could run around all the feds and see how many records I could clock up myself. Thing is..cos there are hardly any girls competing, it's pretty damn easy to get a record...so one really needs to be realistic...just cos you have a WR it really means F all..Anto is right..it's all about getting stronger, beating your own PRs and not getting hung up on this whole record malark. That's why I'm absolutely shocked how this thread blew up..and that Anto had to come on and kinda 'explain' his bad day when it really is none of our business'.

/Rant over...I apologise

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

gymfreak wrote: »
    I find this whole 'record' obsession really really odd. I'm ALL for PRs...absolutely LOVE beating MY numbers..but really couldn't care less about records. Reason being, that there are faaaar too many powerlifting federations out there..which creates faaar too many records...which means that generally the records for each federation are going to be mainly different numbers cos of different members...which means...essentially a WR isn't really a WR if someone else can lift heavier????:confused: Makes absolutely no sense to me!

Hell, if I wanted I could run around all the feds and see how many records I could clock up myself. Thing is..cos there are hardly any girls competing, it's pretty damn easy to get a record...so one really needs to be realistic...just cos you have a WR it really means F all..Anto is right..it's all about getting stronger, beating your own PRs and not getting hung up on this whole record malark. That's why I'm absolutely shocked how this thread blew up..and that Anto had to come on and kinda 'explain' his bad day when it really is none of our business'.

/Rant over...I apologise

You're like a little mini me. So proud.

You've pretty much nailed the difference between the actual lifters and the glory hunters.

The records and all that are nice, but the talent pool is so shallow that a lot of the time it's not actually representative of any real standard. There's literally hundreds if not thousands of lifters out there worldwide capable of breaking the "world" records people celebrate. Anyone claiming to be the best in the world in that situation and using it to boast is pretty pathetic and is srsly lacking in perspective IMO.

And before anyone starts bitching, you can f*ck off. I've dedicated more time and effort, and given up more than over 99% of the population posting on here for PL. I've been moderately successful competing, and done an ok job coaching so far, and have done as much as possible online to make the sport more popular in Ireland, even if that wasn't a lot.

I've perspective here so before ppl start accusing me of cheapening others accomplishments, get over yourself. I respect anyone with the guts to train and get on the Platform. I do not respect ppl who cherry pick events and records to be a legend in their own back yard.

I care about it and where it's going as a legitimate sport, not somewhere for pumped up trainers to write cool things about their athletes records on their website, and if anyone doesn't like it, they can kiss my ass because I've seen how its gone in the last 7 years and it's only getting worse.

And believe it or not, I do love PL and am not specifically talking about Ironside or any individual lifter above. If I wanted to call out anyone specifically, I would. Anyone posting here more than a week knows that. And for those who still choose just not to believe me, Please review the "kiss my ass comment" above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

This thread is about the IDFPA single lifts not your opinion on records, start another thread if you want to talk about it, back on topic...

From talking to people tonight, it seems a couple of the lads who entered had a real buzz and would be keen to go again.
    A fella who entered the Deadlift and did pretty well seemed very interested when I told him about the Deadlift champs in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Thought I was reading powerliftingwatch for a second there. Nice to see the "James Hanley mentioned someone... let's get him!"culture is still active in powerlifting even if he isn't.

What's with all the kids who can pull more plates than they have pubes? A 250kg deadlift is nothing anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

kevpants wrote: »
    Thought I was reading powerliftingwatch for a second there. Nice to see the "James Hanley mentioned someone... let's get him!"culture is still active in powerlifting even if he isn't.

What's with all the kids who can pull more plates than they have pubes? A 250kg deadlift is nothing anymore.

Fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Bringing it back to topic -

Just to give an indication of the crowd that was there for the day.

daveyc21 wrote: »
    Bringing it back to topic -

Absolutely brilliant.

Hopefully he'll stick with the powerlifting, look forward to seeing him compete again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

He looks a bit like Clarence. They musta been separated at birth. One did powerlifting and one did weightlifting. It's like watching JCVD in Double Impact.

http://www.bdfpa.co.uk/results/2012/2012SingleEventResults.pdf

BDFPA results from the weekend in case anyone wants to check out some of the competition before going to France.

• Advertisement

Skull wrote: »
    http://www.bdfpa.co.uk/results/2012/2012SingleEventResults.pdf

BDFPA results from the weekend in case anyone wants to check out some of the competition before going to France.

The 320kg deadlift for a junior in the under 90kg class and the guy weighed in at 84.5kg. Very close to 4 times body weight that guy really is upping the standard towards the likes of the ipf. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Thud

he has more in the tank too..

Thud wrote: »
    he has more in the tank too..

Sweet Jesus,
    (Nice plates too)

Advertisement