Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash CS5

• 25-01-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this forum and I was just wondering would it be beneficial to learn Flash CS4 or continue practicing it.
    I know it's used in flash banners on the web, but other than that does Flash really have a future in WebDesign or is it even relevant to designing apps for Android phones, ( iphones don't do flash, right?)
    Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Adobe Discontinues Development of Flash Player on Mobile Devices

I don't see it as being relevant to Android, iPhone or Windows Phone and wouldn't employ it in web design as I feel there is no need with the current state of HTML5 and JavaScript.

I personally have flash disabled on my laptop and only enable it for certain websites where it is critical like RTÉ Player. I personally wouldn't be looking at learning Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

In short it depends.
    • Flash is going to be less relevant in the coming years, it is a dying platform.
    • If mobile is not important to you, then Flash still has the most widespread support amongst browsers for multimedia content compared to HTML5.
    • Flash is still a great tool to mocking things up and prototyping things.
    • It's still great for e-learning and Kiosk style applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

You can develop apps in Flash cs5 and compile them for both Android and iOS.

It exports them as a package that can then be uploaded and sold through the App Store and the marketplace. It's no longer a Flash file so it'll work fine on iOS.

I dunno, I still enjoy it and it's my most comfortable programming language...

Advertisement