Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easiest way to move a car with the handbrake on?

• 05-03-2012 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Had 9 cars park in my spot in an underground complex over the last 6 months, with the latest tosser sticking so far out(it's a corner spot so usually I can at least park in front of them) I have nowhere to park without taking someone else's spot. It isn't in gear but the handbrake is on, what is the best way to move it? Don't think I could bounce it, and trolleys for under the wheels are about €100 for a pair which is rather expensive.

Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Trolley jack it up and put biscuit tin kids or trays under the wheels

Biscuit tray lids under each wheel and drag it using the towing eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Or put a rope on it and drag it out.

Borrow skateboards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Whatever you do I'd like pictures and a video.

Maybe even a picture of how it is now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Biscuit tin lids tomorrow it is! Hoping to wedge it into the corner so I can park beside it. I only use the car at weekends and I'm intending to lay it up for 4 weeks ASAP, so if the offending merc isn't gone by tomorrow or Wednesday it'll be stuck until April.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Biscuit tin lids tomorrow it is! Hoping to wedge it into the corner so I can park beside it. I only use the car at weekends and I'm intending to lay it up for 4 weeks ASAP, so if the offending merc isn't gone by tomorrow or Wednesday it'll be stuck until April.

Some cheek who ever parked it there, i would be ringing one of them scrap companies that take cars away feck that.

I usually don't even bother leaving notes, but getting fed up of it now. After 10 days on holiday, the last thing I want late Sunday night is to have no parking space and be forced to deal with this ****. Going to install a fold down security post (the management company can **** off if they have a problem with it) soonish, under €90 and doesn't require anything more than a 12mm drill bit to install which isn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Buy one of those clamps and have a "release fee".

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

patwicklow wrote: »
    Or put a rope on it and drag it out.

This. It'll drag easy enough. I was in a 1.3 corrolla that pushed a parked Mazda 6 (iirc) out of the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Careful with jacks. If the car has a tilt sensor you'll set the alarm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I wouldn't touch it if I were you. Find some way to block him in but if you touch/move the car you could be causing a lot of bother for yourself

Not really, as long as I don't damage it he has no comeback against me(which is how clamping companies are able to operate unfortunately).
    I don't think a 99 c180 would have a tilt sensor but sure, I'll find out tomorrow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Just to point out that if you move someone's car and then block it they'll probably feel justified in moving yours in return.

Is there any way of contacting the driver of the car? and why has it been in your space for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

marketty wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch it if I were you. Find some way to block him in but if you touch/move the car you could be causing a lot of bother for yourself

"Judge, that man moved my car from his parking space for which he pays dearly for and didn't damage my vehicle!"

Yeah, it just doesn't really work for me....

Not really, as long as I don't damage it he has no comeback against me(which is how clamping companies are able to operate unfortunately).
    I don't think a 99 c180 would have a tilt sensor but sure, I'll find out tomorrow! :D

If you move someone's property they have a cad against you
    If you block someone's car they have a case against you

At this point you are in the right but you get in trouble if you do what you are saying

Just leave a note explaining that it is your property and that you will be having the car clamped if its parked there again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

If the space is your's then is there not a procedure in place with the management company to enforce it? Ie. Private clamping company.

Tigger wrote: »
    If you move someone's property they have a cad against you
    If you block someone's car they have a case against you

What case do they have ?

I left a note asking him not to use the spot unless he wanted to pay the €10,000 it cost and the management fee for the year(it's a couple of hundred quid but can't remember what exactly).

Note hasn't been moved and nothing was left on my car!

I also took down his insurance details, if any mysterious scratches or punctures happen to my car I won't hesitate to claim off his insurance and get a solicitor involved (in a civil case, the burden of proof rests on the balance of probability unlike a criminal case - or so I'm told).

Also, clamping is only above ground and I have no legitimate way of getting the car removed/penalised by the management company or an agent of theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

trolley jack under the rear diff,watch out for the steering lock when your rolling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

MugMugs wrote: »
    "Judge, that man moved my car from his parking space for which he pays dearly for and didn't damage my vehicle!"

Yeah, it just doesn't really work for me....

But what if there is some problem already with the car? It would be very easy for the owner to then claim that you caused that damage and very difficult to prove you didn't. I'm on the OPs side by the way I'm just wary of how these things can spiral

MugMugs wrote: »
    What case do they have ?

They can claim damages for every possaible thing that could be wrong withe the car

Also is it a auto many c180s are

Tigger wrote: »
    They can claim damages for every possaible thing that could be wrong withe the car

Also is it a auto many c180s are

If its an automatic then thats a problem moving it.

I left a note asking him not to use the spot unless he wanted to pay the €10,000 it cost and the management fee for the year(it's a couple of hundred quid but can't remember what exactly).

Note hasn't been moved and nothing was left on my car!

I also took down his insurance details, if any mysterious scratches or punctures happen to my car I won't hesitate to claim off his insurance and get a solicitor involved (in a civil case, the burden of proof rests on the balance of probability unlike a criminal case - or so I'm told).

Also, clamping is only above ground and I have no legitimate way of getting the car removed/penalised by the management company or an agent of theirs.
    Note not touched then the owner mustn't he e been back yet
    Just call the management co and let them deal

Or don't I just think its silly to think that you will have impunity zbecause you've been slightly inconvenienced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I usually don't even bother leaving notes, but getting fed up of it now. After 10 days on holiday, the last thing I want late Sunday night is to have no parking space and be forced to deal with this ****. Going to install a fold down security post (the management company can **** off if they have a problem with it) soonish, under €90 and doesn't require anything more than a 12mm drill bit to install which isn't too bad

Remember you'll be drilling into pour concrete which can be all kinds of evil.
    Don't skimp on a masonry bit, perhaps go 6mm first before reaming out with the larger bit.

patwicklow wrote: »
    If its an automatic then thats a problem moving it.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Fiona

Why don't you just take the plates off it and report it to the management company / Garda and local authority and they will take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Go for it.

I'd be letting the air of the tyres of any person that claims a private space thats mine.

• Advertisement

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Why don't you just take the plates off it and report it to the management company / Garda and local authority and they will take it away.

If it's a gated complex the council don't care and you should never remove anything from another mans car. That's a criminal act.

I can't see anything criminal with moving it though and not causing damage.

Advertisement