Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

• 24-06-2010 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The Queen of the UK has been invited to visit Ireland and a state visit expected pretty soon. Personally I am opposed to this, the idea of monarchy and one person just as a result of genealogy and primogeniture being a ruler of a country is sickening to me as a democrat. I'd feel the same if it was the the Dutch Queen or any other hereditary ruler. Thoughts?

There is the link http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0623/politics.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The Queen of the UK has been invited to visit Ireland and a state visit expected pretty soon. Personally I am opposed to this, the idea of monarchy and one person just as a result of genealogy and primogeniture being a ruler of a country is sickening to me as a democrat. I'd feel the same if it was the the Dutch Queen or any other hereditary ruler. Thoughts?

There is the link http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0623/politics.html

How the UK chooses their head of state is their problem, it is not for us to judge. If the Queen visits Ireland on an official visit as a representative of her country why wouldn't we welcome her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Were you also opposed to the visits of other foreign Heads of State who happen to be monarchs?
    Harald of Norway and Karl Gustav from Sweden and the like.

I don`t have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've very few objections to how another country picks their head of state as long as they don't indulge in eating people. They should at least get the same welcome as they extended to our head of state, which as I recall last time was pretty good and included tea, biscuits and probably crumpets - one of five or six meeting occasions in total, all of which have taken place in the UK as far as I recall.

Odds are good that there will be less union flag waving on the streets of Dublin compared with the last state visit by a UK head of state but that's progress and the temptation of 24-hour reality TV as an alternative. Protocol's the most important part of a state visit; I'm sure it'll probably be easier to protest for people that want to than it was when GW Bush came zipping through here and people seemed to dislike that one personally and at a level dislike of someone who drowns kittens for weekend fun. Beatrix from the Netherlands had by all accounts a good time when she visited here in 1990, Harald V of Norway was here four years ago and almost no-one noticed, ditto when Albert II from Belgium came for tea in 2007. Juan Carlos from Spain visited in 1986 and it was noteworthy, though I can't remember why (then again, southern Europeans are more tanned than we are so it was probably exotic).

Possibly best if we send someone other than Ronan O'Gara to shake hands with her as she gets off the plane though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Why should you object to it? Unless she's going to be visiting your house and impacting on your daily routine, it's not a big deal. I doubt that many people will take any notice of it either. We've moved on. Dublin is constantly full of British people, and we're all happy to go shopping in London and up the North. Her position is a choice of the British people, and is nothing to do with us.

There's bigger things in life, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Make the lady welcome, and show them that we have matured as a state, and are a confident people going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

I agree. It's time we grew up as a country and stopped blaming "D'inglish" for everything. It is a great sign that this visit can be contemplated, so lets celebrate that and enjoy the friendship we have with our nearest neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

dan_d wrote: »
    Why should you object to it? Unless she's going to be visiting your house and impacting on your daily routine, it's not a big deal. I doubt that many people will take any notice of it either. We've moved on. Dublin is constantly full of British people, and we're all happy to go shopping in London and up the North. Her position is a choice of the British people, and is nothing to do with us.

There's bigger things in life, to be honest.
    I think most of us have moved on, but I think unfortunately there's still plenty who refuse to. I can imagine someone chucking an egg, at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Will ye give her a Certificate of Irishness for free, as we can't afford to pay for one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'd rather she stayed where she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

She may apologise for some of the atrocities that England has put Ireland through. David Cameron apologised for bloody sunday, she might do the same.

Its not going to be safe at all!! alot of people will be seriously outraged. to be honest I cannot see her leaving the Aras once during her visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Who cares if she comes, makes no difference to the Joe on the street as long as it doesnt cost the Taxpayer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 LikePlace

She'll probably just end up getting locked in Temple Bar with Mary McAleese and buying a silly hat.

(Unashamed mockup of queen in hat at http://bit.ly/aXuHX4 )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Brendog wrote: »
    David Cameron apologised for bloody sunday...
    On behalf of the British people, which includes Lizzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Hand her back the keys to the country, its trashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I've no objection to the Queen visiting but I can imagine a few regular posters on this forum will be apoplectic. The English are proud of their monarchy and its heritage, why should it bother us how they choose them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

All part of the normalisation process I suppose, similar to the recent attempt to have a triumphalist British Army march through Belfast (which thankfully was disrupted.) The problem, however, is that the state which she represents still occupies a part of this country, thus I would think such a visit would be inappropriate to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

FTA69 wrote: »
    All part of the normalisation process I suppose, similar to the recent attempt to have a triumphalist British Army march through Belfast (which thankfully was disrupted.) The problem, however, is that the state which she represents still occupies a part of this country, thus I would think such a visit would be inappropriate to say the least.

Occupied because:
    (1) The majority of people living there want it that way.
    (2) It would go to hell in a handbasket if they left.

Britain don't want the North anymore, but if they offered it to us tomorrow we'd say no as well - we couldn't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Yet another thread of forelock tugging mongs and their delusions that welcoming the head of a state guilty of repeated genocides and an ongoing occupation of part of this island is somehow 'showing their maturity'.
    It's not - it's showing your inate servility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

careful now or you might endup being labelled a west-brit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Our country encompasses the whole island. Our state ends at the border with NI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

My main reservation about the proposed visit is a security one and a worry about the long term consequences for Irish tourism if there are significant protests. Already SF have come out against the visit and they are in the tame camp! I don't think that given the increasing level of dissident republican activity it would be safe for the visit to take place in the foreseeable future.

As an aside, I heard a vox pop on Newstalk this morning amongst which was the classic comment by someone with a heavy Dublin accent who said 'I'm against everything British'. The said same individual probably reads the 'Irish' Sun, drinks Bass and supports Man.United. I despair. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

No, it's a joke. A sick joke. And a vassal state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Perhaps she might as a gesture of good will, remove the title of OBE from Derek Wilford in lieu of the recent Saville Inquiry findings - to show that she too has matured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Make the lady welcome, and show them that we have matured as a state, and are a confident people going forward.

any more clichés?

bmaxi wrote: »
    The English are proud of their monarchy and its heritage...
    I think a large chunk of the British population recognise that the royal family are little more than a tourist attraction these days. Ever been to Buckingham Palace on a weekend? The similarities with Disneyland are hard to miss.
    Our country encompasses the whole island. Our state ends at the border with NI
    The words 'hair' and 'splitting' spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

wtf has that got to do with anything? they are voted in by people :rolleyes: typical nonsense

• Advertisement

aDeener wrote: »
    wtf has that got to do with anything? they are voted in by people :rolleyes: typical nonsense
    The royal family could be done away with by the British people if they wished. But they choose not to and we should respect that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement