Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigars quistion

• 01-03-2012 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

I herard some saying today that you dont inhale a cigar. But if you dont inhale it what does it do for you?

(sorry if this is a stupid quistion)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Taste, primarily.

Also, nicotine can enter the bloodstream through the inside of the mouth. But I certainly don't smoke cigars for a nicotine hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Xeneon

As BeerNut said, taste is the main reason.

They do come in a lot of different flavours which can go great with things like whiskey, coffee and certain foods.

If you want to try them, James Fox's opposite Trinity college do some decent "beginner" cigars. Their own brand Half Coronas are good for the price.

Some cigar smokers do tend to inhale the smoke but it's always advised not to as they are a lot stronger than cigarettes in terms of actual tobacco content. Some cigars contain the equivalent to an entire pack of cigarettes in one.

Plus it would make you horribly sick if you aren't experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Oh right,thanks for the replys. A friend of mine inhaled a cigar once and his face went green. Iwas very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Inhaling is a difficult habit to break for cigarette smokers moving to cigars. I gulped down a few lungfuls of cigar smoke in my time.
    I'm at the other end of the scale now, I can't inhale a ciggy, not a proper fullbloodied lungful anyway. Whenever I get to taste a cigarette I have to taste it like a cigar, all in the mouth and then exhale. My throat locks if I try to suck it down. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Inhaling is a difficult habit to break for cigarette smokers moving to cigars. I gulped down a few lungfuls of cigar smoke in my time.
    I'm at the other end of the scale now, I can't inhale a ciggy, not a proper fullbloodied lungful anyway. Whenever I get to taste a cigarette I have to taste it like a cigar, all in the mouth and then exhale. My throat locks if I try to suck it down. :)

Ah right, does that mean that you dont inhale cigar. So your lungs arent getting as harmed as if you smoking fags? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You don't inhale.
    However there will still be damage to your lungs. No matter how good your intentions are there will always be smoke entering your lungs. Other dangers still exist too such as the cancer risk to your mouth and throat. Don't think cigars are an easy out from possible health repercussions.

We have wandered into Breach of Charter Territory here but I think that point had to be clarified.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    You don't inhale.
    However there will still be damage to your lungs. No matter how good your intentions are there will always be smoke entering your lungs. Other dangers still exist too such as the cancer risk to your mouth and throat. Don't think cigars are an easy out from possible health repercussions.

We have wandered into Breach of Charter Territory here but I think that point had to be clarified.

Ah right I understand.

Sorry about the breach of charter terriory thing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I remember being 14 and walking into a cigar shop in France and like the D'Unbelievables I asked for one of them, two of them and four of them :D without knowing what they were. Some were cigarillos.

Anyway, I couldn't remember if I was supposed to inhale them or not, so I just thought, 'Ahh shure, why not'.

I got a throbbing headache from it.

But the cigars/cigarillos were lovely. One of them tasted like vanilla and they were very cheap; in the penny sweets price range.

Other cigars I've had like Hamlets and King Edward VII weren't as nice as the vanilla cigarillos.

Sindri wrote: »
    I remember being 14 and walking into a cigar shop in France and like the D'Unbelievables I asked for one of them, two of them and four of them :D without knowing what they were. Some were cigarillos.

Anyway, I couldn't remember if I was supposed to inhale them or not, so I just thought, 'Ahh shure, why not'.

I got a throbbing headache from it.

But the cigars/cigarillos were lovely. One of them tasted like vanilla and they were very cheap; in the penny sweets price range.

Other cigars I've had like Hamlets and King Edward VII weren't as nice as the vanilla cigarillos.

Cool story mate.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Cool story mate.:)

Yeah, it was pretty nice walking around a French village with the liberty of smoking and buying tobacco at that age.

I thought I looked so cool and sophisticated with the cigars. :D

• Advertisement

Sindri wrote: »
    Yeah, it was pretty nice walking around a French village with the liberty of smoking and buying tobacco at that age.

I thought I looked so cool and sophisticated with the cigars. :D

Id love to have done that.

My first fag was at the age of 13. It was the coolest thing ever at the time. Now i think of it as more of a lifestyle.

Love the fags anyway, helps me relax and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rawz

There are a few reasons cigars are not meant to be inhaled, some include:

Since taste is the primary draw to cigar-smoking, simply puffing the smoke in the mouth is plenty to get a good flavor of the smoke. One reason cigars can taste so good is because they can be composed of parts of the tobacco plant that is not generally used in cigarette tobacco, such as the very top leaves. The very top leaves accumulate the most flavor, and also the most strength, since they receive the most sunlight. These leaves, called the Ligero of the plant, can be extremely strong in both flavor and buzz. Another attribute of cigar smoke that doesn't jive well with inhalation is the PH of the smoke itself is not suitable for the inner linings of the lungs. It is very damaging and frankly quite painful to accidentally take a cloud into the chest, and can make you feel sick from the residues that the cigar smoke leaves on your membranes.

Another reason inhalation of cigar smoke isn't necessary, or preferable for that matter, is that the nicotine content in cigar smoke is much higher. The nicotine concentration in the smoke allows diffusion across the inner linings of your mouth that leads to a gradually-increasing, more "mellow" nicotine buzz than the sharp head rush that cigarettes can give. If you're a beginner to cigar smoking, I would definitely stay away from anything close to a Ligero cigar, as it will simply not suit your tastes right away. Cigars generally come in three tiers of strength, Mild-Bodied, Medium-Bodied, and Full-Bodied. Look for a Mild to Medium-bodied cigar that has a Connecticut wrapper, as much of the taste of a cigar results from the wrapper type. Connecticut wrappers tend to have a delicious sweetness that lingers on the lips and are great for a casual smoke. PM me if you're looking for direct links to cigars suitable for someone just beginning to experiment with the different flavors cigars can have.

Happy smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

I herard some saying today that you dont inhale a cigar. But if you dont inhale it what does it do for you?

(sorry if this is a stupid quistion)

Nope, you aren't supposed to inhale. I think it's too strong to inhale. Just by puffing a cigar you would get a taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rawz

Cigar smoke (depending on tobacco strength) has a high enough nicotine content to give a gradual, mellow buzz over the course of an hour of smoking one. The nicotine can pass through the abundant micro-cuts in your mouth and you can feel the effects for sometimes over an hour after finishing one. Its quite a different (more preferable) feeling from cigarette tobacco, but this may just be personal experience/preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 robbie8108

hamlets are a nice cigar to start with or half Coronas

........... But if you dont inhale it what does it do for you?...........

Well I don't smoke cigarettes but I occasionally smoke cigars. Simply because I liked the idea and it turned out that I enjoy it. I'd have a cigar on a long drive or when at a race meeting :)

I wouldn't smoke expensive cigars, generally the likes of henri wintermans half corona, I bought a box or two of Petersons of Dublin corona cigars, when I worked in Galway after leaving home in Cork I used to fill the car at Charleville and light a corona there, it made the drive more enjoyable.

In my amateur view, one of life's simple pleasures :)

Advertisement