Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old, Long Forgotten Car Dealers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

O'Brien's of Tallow,
    O'Brien Bros.of Tallow were one of the first VW Main Dealers outside of Dublin and later held Mercedes Benz and Mazda dealerships.
    de35sj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

white and delahunty formally of dun laiorghe and now in sallynoggin are still going strong nearly 50yrs now in business they also have photos in the showroom of their humble beginings.
    were nissan/datsun,opel,now toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

McCairns motors in Santry, they assembled Vauxhalls.

It was taken over in the mid eighty's by PMPA ,

I can remember picking up a car from it .

There was also a Chrysler factory close to McCairns that i can recall collecting and returning 3 New Triumph Acclaim until we found one with
    out a water leek .So towards the end it must have been connected to British Layland

(I have a vague memory of CJ Haughey doing a deal with the Chrysler employees dose anyone recall this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kiri

McCairns motors in Santry, they assembled Vauxhalls.

Hi, ther was no assembly at McCairns Santry , there was truck/body convertions and modifications in their Heavy plant workshops (on the RHS of the complex) I believe Chryslers(Leyland) were assembled also in Santry on the site of the current Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

2.8trooper wrote: »
    white and delahunty formally of dun laiorghe and now in sallynoggin are still going strong nearly 50yrs now in business they also have photos in the showroom of their humble beginings.
    were nissan/datsun,opel,now toyota

worked up their for a while and bought a 96 astra Olympic from their ,remember all the old forecourt pics in the showroom .

good garage to deal with too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

HB Dennis, New St, Dublin.Although still Trading in other locations.
    Were British Layland dealers 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

Anyone remember the old nsu garage on pappins rd? there is a tyre crowd there now...

Or traynor motors in finglas....ah the memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

Hi, ther was no assembly at McCairns Santry

Hmm, not so sure about that. They assembled Vauxhalls and Chevrolets (I think) back in the day from ckd kits.
    I believe Chryslers (Leyland) were assembled also in Santry on the site of the current Garda station.

They were indeed, though I don't remember there being any link with any Leyland products there. They produced all Rootes products before and after the Chrysler takeover and finished up as Talbot in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

It was taken over in the mid eighty's by PMPA ,

I can remember picking up a car from it .

There was also a Chrysler factory close to McCairns that i can recall collecting and returning 3 New Triumph Acclaim until we found one with
    out a water leek .So towards the end it must have been connected to British Layland

(I have a vague memory of CJ Haughey doing a deal with the Chrysler employees dose anyone recall this)

?? Returning a Triumph car to the Chrysler factory ?? Was that part of the Gregory deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

My Da used to work for Hendrons and Smithfield way back when. still in contact with some of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leojake

archers on the south circular road they were ford dealers hertz car hire are there now any body got any photos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

My mother's Mini (811 YI)had this sticker, bought 2nd hand from my Uncle who worked there all his life, perhaps 40 years + until recently in fact.
    PanhardPL wrote: »
    2503rqp.jpg Esmonde Garage Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

.........we had this on our '78 Laurel too, bought new from Esmonde.
    Here's a 1979 version of Esmondes rear window sticker.
    32101a65.jpg

...........they became a Ford dealer in about 1980 and their sticker had the slogan "Ask Esmonde first for Ford"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Not Dublin or Cork ;) but there was a car dealership for years in Elphin, Co Roscommon, called the New Line garage. Sold Opel for years and then Citroen, I remember it from passing through when I were a lad. Everyone in the area seemed to support the garage by having a Kadett or Ascona and in later years a BX.

I was there a couple of months ago for a funeral and its now a mechanics garage, the owner seems to be into his classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Chrysler employees worked in CJH's constituency and were about to be laid off in 1984. They seemingly were a militant lot and didn't accept that this should be allowed to happen to them so the union (headed up by Matt Merrigan, an old-style firebrand trade unionist) made all sorts of threats against the government of the day which was headed up by the Taoiseach CJ Haughey. Charlie's solution was to order that all of the Chrysler workers be taken on as employees in the civil service - problem solved!

coylemj wrote: »
    The Chrysler employees worked in CJH's constituency and were about to be laid off in 1984. They seemingly were a militant lot and didn't accept that this should be allowed to happen to them so the union (headed up by Matt Merrigan, an old-style firebrand trade unionist) made all sorts of threats against the government of the day which was headed up by the Taoiseach CJ Haughey. Charlie's solution was to order that all of the Chrysler workers be taken on as employees in the civil service - problem solved!

Seems FF have form in co-operating with the unions , on saying that I wouldn't mine if Matt Merrigan was my union rep http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Merrigan

Other close garages

National Garages North Strand (Subaru)
    National Garages Long Mile Road (Renault)
    National Garages North Road
    Tractor Motors North Road (fiat)
    PMPA Cable Street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

Corrigans Garage, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare (Saab, and later Seat, dealership)

Anybody got any PMPA stuff lying around btw?
    We used to have a few old PMPA newspapers and stuff until it was thrown away during our house move some years ago.

Silvera wrote: »
    Corrigans Garage, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare (Saab, and later Seat, dealership)

Anybody got any PMPA stuff lying around btw?
    We used to have a few old PMPA newspapers and stuff until it was thrown away during our house move some years ago.

I used to work for PMPA . But after a few house moves myself , chances are very slim anything to do with PMPA survived . I can recall a PMPA grill plate (something like the old AA plates) kicking around ,but can't put my hand on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭johnayo

coylemj wrote: »

I was working with a Talbot dealership in Cork(Deasy & Talbot), and I remember going on a training course to Chrysler in 1982. Manuafacturing had ceased sometime before and there were about 100 workers still working there as part of the Haughey deal. They were doing gas conversions and adding a few other extra's to the new Talbot Solaras that were being sold at the time. I presume these were the same people that were to become civil servants in 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

The Chrysler Hunter was manufactured in Santry, the entire line was shipped over from Coventry when they stopped making it in 1977. As for PMPA, I remem ber a few IRL pmpa car stickers on many cars around the early 80s. I much prefered the rival IRL with a green E sticker..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Speaking of PMPA.
    2e587e12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 willm

I am open to correction as the memory sometimes fails me....
    Huet Motors of Lad Lane, Volvo,BMW , moved to Townsend Street then and closed down.
    Auto Cars in Milltown and Churchtown. Fiat
    Joe Keane, Goatstown. Fiat
    Esmonde Motors,Stillorgan and also Dun laoghaire for a short time. Ford
    Three Rock Motors, Landscape Road. DKW
    Maxwells in Blackrock , I think were Rolls
    Caveys in Camden Street were Alfa Distr
    Rigby Higgins on Clonskeagh Bridge
    Anyone remember Breens opp fire station Donnybrook. ( engineering ) and the auto electricians on Herbert Park , down from lights at Morehampton Road. Powderlys ?
    Serck radiators, grand canal
    Ever Ready , Donnybrook
    Roddy Heron in Clonskeagh
    Victor Motors, Volvo,Mitsubishi
    Crawfords
    Archers. Ford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Speaking of PMPA.

I always thought PMPA sold insurance rather than cars?

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I always thought PMPA sold insurance rather than cars?

PMPA bought around 28/32 garage with the intention of repairing any cars damage under there comp policy. 90% of the garage were also main dealers .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭beetlefan

Shannon motors in athlone, opel dealers, long gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

PMPA bought around 28/32 garage with the intention of repairing any cars damage under there comp policy. 90% of the garage were also main dealers .

I remember a PMPA garage in Kilkenny years ago alright.

Can't recall it being a main dealership though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Tony Hennessy's in Naas, main VW dealer for years, gone since about 99, still doing recovery and service in another site.
    Also P.J Woods in Clane co. Kildare, long time gone, also VW, the father used to buy Beetles from him in the 70's,

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Another few names from Limerick city,

Eric McNamara Motors NSU Main Dealer ,
    Joe Hayes Motors VW Main Dealer,
    Davin Motors Mercedes Benz Main Dealer,
    Gleeson's Garage Roote's Main Dealer
    Bedford Garage Vauxhall Main Dealer
    Limerick Motor Works Ford Main Dealer
    Standard Garage Austin Main Dealer
    White's Garage Wolseley Main Dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rockbrae

Hi, what a great thread :)

What people these days tend to forget is that main larger importers had big nationwide dealer networks.

If anyone is interested, I have listed below the complete list of British Leyland (Austin Morris) dealers in the Ireland at the start of 1972.

BRITISH LEYLAND DEALERS IN IRELAND

JANUARY 1972

Distributor

Dublin
    Brittain Sales Ltd., Naas Road, Drimnagh, P.O. Box 143, Dublin 12

Co. Carlow

Carlow
    Collier Bros. Ltd., Dublin Road
    M. Hennessy & Sons (Carlow) Ltd., Haymarket

Co. Cavan

Cavan
    Portobello Motors (Cavan) Ltd., Dublin Road

Co. Clare

Ennis
    Downes & Howard, Mill Road

Kilrush
    T.J. Reidy, Henry Street

Milltown-Malbay
    M. McCarthy, Main Street

Co. Cork

Clonakility
    P.J. O'Hea & Co. Ltd.

Cork
    Central Garage Ltd., Parnell Place
    Cross & Son Ltd., Sullivan's Quay
    Dennehy's Cross Garage Ltd., Dennehy's Cross
    P.J. O'Hea & Co. Ltd., St. Patrick's Quay
    Woollam's Ltd., 17a Patrick's Quay

Fermoy
    P. O'Connor (Fermoy) Ltd., MacCurtain Street

Mallow
    P.J. O'Hea & Co. Ltd., Cork Road

Millstreet
    Lucey's Garage, Minor Row

Co. Donegal

Bridgend
    James McLaughlin & Sons Ltd., Derry Road

Donegal
    R.E. Johnston's Garage, Quay Street

Letterkenny
    Portobello Motors (Letterkenny) Ltd.

Co. Dublin

Balbriggan
    Scanlans Ltd., Dublin Street, Balbriggan

Dublin
    Booth Poole & Co. Ltd., Liffey Bank, Islandbridge
    Geo. A, Dagg Ltd., Church Place, Rathmines, Dublin 6
    H.B. Dennis Ltd., 48 Main Street, Dublin 8
    H.B. Dennis (Donnybrook) Ltd., Belmont Court, Donnybrook, Dublin 6
    Ever-Ready Garage Ltd., Donnybrook Road, Dublin 6
    Hartigan's Garage, 23 Parkgate Street, Dublin 7
    Huet Motors Ltd., Lad Lane, Dublin 2
    Maxwell Motors Ltd., Temple Road, Blackrock
    Murphy & Gunn Ltd., Rathgar Avenue, Dublin 6
    Red Cow Service Station Ltd., Red Cow, Clondalkin
    Stuarts Garages Ltd., Northbrook Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6.

Co. Galway

Ballinasloe
    Grenham's Garage, Dunlo Street

Galway
    O'Flaherty's Motors Limited, Father Griffin Road
    James J. Ward Ltd., Eyre Square

Loughrea
    Portobello Motors (Loughrea) Ltd., Bride Street

Tuam
    C. Egan & Co., Bishop Street

Co.Kerry

Kenmare
    Randles Bros, Shelbourne Street

Killarney
    Culloty's Garage, Market Place
    Randles Bros, Muckcross Road

Tralee
    Auto Service Station, 100 Rock Street
    Central Motor Service (Kellihers) Ltd., Denny Street

Co. Kildare

Castledermot
    M. Hennessy & Sons Ltd., Main Street

Kildare
    R. Chapman & Sons Ltd., Dublin Road

Newbridge
    J.H. McLoughlin, Main Street

Co. Kilkenny

Kilkenny
    Kilkenny Motor Co. Ltd., Upper John Street

Thomastown
    Modern Motor Works, Ladywell Street

Co. Laois

Mountrath
    Telford & Kennedy Ltd.

Portlaoise
    Laois Motors, Dublin Road

Co. Leitrim

Carrick-On-Shannon
    Portobello Motors (Carrick-On-Shannon) Ltd.

Co. Limerick

Limerick
    Bremen Motors, 20 Thomas Street
    Elm Motors Ltd., Ennis Road
    Standard Garage Ltd., Lr. Cecil Street

Co. Longford

Longford
    Longford Arms Motor Works Ltd., Richmond Street
    W&C Pearse Ltd., Richmond Street

Co. Louth

Drogheda
    L.T. Kenny & Sons Ltd., Dublin Road
    Lawson Motors, North Road

Dundalk
    S. Lockington & Co. Ltd., Barrack Street
    Martin Dundalk Ltd., The Ramparts

Co. Mayo

Ballina
    Kelly's Garage, Circular Road
    Portobello Motors (Ballina) Ltd.

Kiltimagh
    A. Cleary & Sons, George Street

Newport
    Kelly's Garage, Castlebar Street

Co. Meath

Athboy
    John Kerr & Sons, Bridge Street

Kells
    Leinster Motor Co. Ltd., Bective Street

Co. Monaghan

Castleblaney
    Portobello Motors (Castleblaney) Ltd., Muckno Street

Monaghan
    Monaghan Motor Works, Old Cross Square

Co. Offaly

Tullamore
    F.J. Hurst Ltd., Earl Street
    Tullamore Motor Works Ltd., High Street

Co Sligo

Sligo
    Henderson Motors Ltd., Wine Street
    John E. Williams, Teeling Street

Co. Tipperary

Clonmel
    Central Garage (Clonmel) Ltd., Dungarvan Road
    King & Keating Ltd., 36 Parnell Street

Nenagh
    E.A. Moynan & Son, 1/5 Clare Street

Templemore
    Hassetts Motor Works Ltd.

Thurles
    Hassetts Motor Works Ltd., Dublin Road

Co. Waterford

Dungarvan
    Bridge Motors Ltd., Bridge Street

Waterford
    Central Garage Ltd., Arundel Square

Co. Westmeath

Athlone
    Tullamore Motor Works (Athlone) Ltd., Baylough

Mullingar
    Martin Bros, Harbour Street

Co. Wexford

Ballycanew
    H.J. Percival, Ballycanew

Gorey
    Percival Motors

New Ross
    Central Garage (New Ross) Ltd., South Street

Wexford
    North End Garage Ltd., Redmond Street
    The Talbot Garage Ltd., Crescent Quay

Co. Wicklow

Greystones
    Hills Garage
    Watson & Johnson (Greystones) Ltd., Delgany Road

For the record, the Austin & Morris franchises were divided equally and that there already had been quite a clearout of dealers/agents by this point.

In terms of the garages mentioned so far:

McCairns were always Vauxhall, but I think they also had the Chevrolet and Pontiac franchises. They were also Alfa Romeo distributors before Caveys (and I think there was a gap too). McCairns had branches in Galway and Waterford as well and before they ceased trading they had become Opel dealers due to the phasing out of Vauxhall in the early 1980's (1982, I think).

Joe Keane had branches in Taney (Goatstown), Sandyford, Stillorgan (Topaz filling station, now), Rialto (Rialto Motors, now), Clondalkin and Lombard Street. I think they went out of business on the same day as Smithfield (I was about 10 at the time).

In terms of PMPA, a lot of these were originally owned by Brittain's and were named Portobello Motors.

I have a few bits and pieces especially about the BL makes if you're interested.

Regards,

Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

G Luxel wrote: »
    The Chrysler Hunter was manufactured in Santry, the entire line was shipped over from Coventry when they stopped making it in 1977. As for PMPA, I remem ber a few IRL pmpa car stickers on many cars around the early 80s. I much prefered the rival IRL with a green E sticker..:)

My father had a Chrysler Hunter 1.7HS - vinyl roof, sports wheels, fake wood. Anyone know anything about these? I've always want to know but info on Google no help.

I remember an uncle saying it was 1977 but not sure. I always thought it was a run-out edition but they kept producing them in Ireland for another few years you say? I'd love to know was it an Irish car or the last of the Coventry produced ones?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread:o!

Advertisement