Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Hanks: Saint or sinner

• 15-12-2005 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Richelieu

I was talking with someone yesterday about him. She reckoned he was practically divinity on celluloid but I somehow think he's got this simmering creepy quality you know?
    The guy next door with heads in his fridge...
    Look at his eyes....
    Anyone else hate Tom Hanks???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Richelieu wrote:
    I was talking with someone yesterday about him. She reckoned he was practically divinity on celluloid but I somehow think he's got this simmering creepy quality you know?
    Look at his eyes....

And you win the prise for most pointless thread of the day.

First off does your "someone" know Tom Hanks? this just random thoughts? wat a fridge has got to do with this is beyond me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

err... what?

he's a good actor with some fantastic films. that's about all i know about him other then he has a son who's an actor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think he's a bit over-rated myself, but hate? No. Why exactly would you hate him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I really like Tom Hanks! I think he is a great and talanted actor, he is so good that when you look at him play, you think "eh I could play like that too" but there is something special in Tom, he is very natural.

WIIIILSOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

I don't have a problem with him (mainly cause I don't know him) and I also enjoyed a good few of the films he was in. At this exact moment I can't think of one I hated him in, but I'm sure one that I didn't like will come to me!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh I can't stand him. Never liked him or any of his films.

There are few actors who I just simply can not stand... Hanks is one of them and Meryl Streep is another... and they are both highly over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I only have a problem with everyone of his movies post-Joe Vs the Volcano. Before that was great. And I'll challenge anyone who says that the bit in the Money Pit where he gets stuck in the hole in the floor isn't the finest bit of movie slapstick.

But yeah, since he realised he gets way more pussy turning on the waterworks in EVERY MOVIE, he's gotten a whole lot less likeable. Less gay guys with AIDS, more Pep Streebeck, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I find him watchable. He kind of has that Robert Mitchum / James Stewart thing going on where you like him even if he's the bad guy or in a poor movie.

I agree about Meryl Streep tho. I hate her in everything I've ever seen her in. I even hate her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's hard to fault him as much though when actually watching one of his movies. I generally say I don't like him, something about him I can't quite put my finger on thats always nagged at me whenever his name was mentioned.

It's more a case of thinking "Ah Tom Hanks is in it, that kinda put's me off" and then watching the movie and inadvertadly realising I couldn't imagine anyone else doing the role as well. :)

So overall, I guess much to my own disdain I kinda like him!

Love/hate thing going on big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

I think sometimes he's pretty nauseating but I thought Joe versus the volcano was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

He's grand, no complaints. He seems to get decent parts in decent films and is a lot less annoying on screen than a lot of people.

Also, kind of grew up watching Hanks -- he started off in the easy going family films when I was at the age where I'd enjoy them, then got a bit more serious as I got a bit older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

He plays the everyman role fairly well but other than that he's been in some fairly average movies , most recently The Terminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

He doesn't inspire any emotions either way in me. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Iceman_5000

No way, Hanks is kool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I only have a problem with everyone of his movies post-Joe Vs the Volcano. Before that was great. And I'll challenge anyone who says that the bit in the Money Pit where he gets stuck in the hole in the floor isn't the finest bit of movie slapstick.

Hell yes, I'll agree to all of that. The Burbs? Kickass. Early-Tom-Hanks was funny, and cool, and a bit neurotic and crazy. New Tom Hanks is "Someone please give me another Oscar, I'm ever so bland now". He's the acting equivalent of Ron Howard, and considering the fact they're both involved the Davinci Code film, it's not really inspiring me to go see that one.

New Tom Hanks is annoying, and I wish he would just go away... forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dont mind him. was quite good in The Green Mile and Catch me if you Can.

He however, should not be Robert Langdon. Bad casting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Dont mind him. was quite good in The Green Mile and Catch me if you Can.

Completely agree, reading the Da Vinci code and Angels & Demons, I thought Gary Sinise would be perfect for Langdon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yea but he annoys me in the CSI:New York series. I was thinking of maybe Sam Neil (Jurassic Park/Event Horizon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

Anyone else hate Tom Hanks???[/I

I don't hate him, but I do think he's mediocre. I don't know if a lot of people in Ireland are familiar with his early career, but he had some embarassing stinkers as a comedian when he started out. Mainly I'm thinking of the lame TV show "Bosom Buddies", and the horrible movies "The Money Pit" and "The 'Burbs". "Bachelor Party" and "Volunteers" were OK, but not great. "Big" was highly over rated. "Philadelphia" launched him into being considered a serious actor; and lets face it, you were considered a homophobe bigot of you dared criticize the film at the time (at least in America), so it was a safe role. "Forrest Gump" sucked *** (and grew up in the same county as the author who wrote the original book), but for some reason it got a bunch of acclaim. "Saving Private Ryan" sucked in my opinion, but due to American patriotism and Spielberg worship, it was a huge hit. I did like "Catch Me If You Can" though, but he wasn't exactly the star (not that I'm a big fan of DiCaprio or Spielberg either).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

From the horses mouth:
    Tom Hanks is convinced his movie career is about to end, because he has survived too long on luck alone.

The Forest Gump star has sustained a successful and prolific movie career for more than two decades now, while many co-stars and contemporaries have fallen on the Tinseltown scrapheap.

But the double Oscar winner fears his luck could soon run out. Hanks says: "I look around and know that I am going to pay for it, big time.

"The knives will be out one day. There are quite a few people no longer getting hired who were big stars as recently as 10 years ago.

"So I've already overstayed my welcome. Someone is going to turn round and say: 'See - you are not such a smarty-pants after all, are you?' And although I know that many actors say they've had luck, I've had more than my share. I've had it by the bucketload."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if his acting career ends he can rely on his production skills... and he's mates with some guy called "steven speilberg". i somehow doubt he'll be eyeing up any retirement homes just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Hes ok I never feel any emapathy for his characters though.

Ditto Streep though. Weird.

I don't think anyone likes Meryl Streep, I sure as hell don't..

• Anyone else hate Tom Hanks???[/I

I don't hate him, but I do think he's mediocre. I don't know if a lot of people in Ireland are familiar with his early career, but he had some embarassing stinkers as a comedian when he started out. Mainly I'm thinking of the lame TV show "Bosom Buddies", and the horrible movies "The Money Pit" and "The 'Burbs". "Bachelor Party" and "Volunteers" were OK, but not great. "Big" was highly over rated. "Philadelphia" launched him into being considered a serious actor; and lets face it, you were considered a homophobe bigot of you dared criticize the film at the time (at least in America), so it was a safe role. "Forrest Gump" sucked *** (and grew up in the same county as the author who wrote the original book), but for some reason it got a bunch of acclaim. "Saving Private Ryan" sucked in my opinion, but due to American patriotism and Spielberg worship, it was a huge hit. I did like "Catch Me If You Can" though, but he wasn't exactly the star (not that I'm a big fan of DiCaprio or Spielberg either).

Man a very difficult post to read. What you say about the burbs and money pit is a long way from the truth. Gump did not suck *** as you brilliantly put it, it was a clever entertaining original film, not the best ever but suck ***?? give me a break. private ryan yes overrated, spielberg yes overrated, but for gods sake man, the first 45 mins of private ryan brought film forward as an art, war scenes directed with brilliance, class and pioneering quality.

As far as hanks goes, he is a good actor he has proved that in a number of variable roles, he doesnt inspire like Pacino or nicholson but he is a talented man all the same.

Pacino?, ****, all he does is raise his voice. HOO-YA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lizanne

Richelieu wrote:
    Look at his eyes....
    hate?
    oh god no how can u hate him the mans a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lizanne

Hes ok I never feel any emapathy for his characters though.

Ditto Streep though. Weird.
    are u saying he didnt bring you to tears in the green mile.....he played Paul to perfection

What an actor!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

lizanne wrote:
    are u saying he didnt bring you to tears in the green mile.....he played Paul to perfection

What an actor!!!!!

Personally I remember more of the other characters than Tom Hanks. Thats said I like the films hes in.

• Laguna wrote:
    Pacino?, ****, all he does is raise his voice. HOO-YA!

yep, just like in the Godfather II his best performance where he shouted for 4 hours...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Yeah I dont think he will pull off Robert Langdon, seen trailer and he just doesnt look right.

Advertisement