Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3ds makes Pop sound and shuts down-Help

• 07-11-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I'm here on behalf of my son.
    His 3ds since Sunday has developed a problem. It makes a pop sound and spontaneously shuts down shortly after turning it on. It is fully charged, we've tried it plugged in and out, holding it in the hand and using it on a flat surface.

We've removed the battery, wiped the contacts, checked that everything fitted back tightly again, no moisture dirt on the battery contacts. Still the problem persists.

has anyone experienced the same? What was the outcome/solution if there is one without spending a fortune? Also through buying e-shop cards he has loads of games etc bought to download over the past 18months, do you know if this data can be transferred should the need arise.

Any other helpful suggestions are welcome.

I've tried googling the problem, as you do, but I have yet to find anything helpful. What rotten luck that it's out of warranty because I know nintendo would have replaced the console if that were the case :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Even though it's out of warranty, it's still worth sending it to be fixed, although you'll have to pay a charge.

http://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/

There's the website for official repairs, so I'd advise you to book a new repair there.

They'll give you a no obligation quote before commencing repairs, so you can be assured you won't be overcharged, although some repairs may be expensive.

Even if your data can't be retrieved, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to re-download all the games you had previously. Someone else may be able to confirm.

I've been through the repairs process on my friend's behalf, and I was completely satisfied, although return was a little slower than if you lived in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Your account is currently tied to the handset, not the customer. This may change when the WiiU is released.

your e-Shop downloads are tied to the handset.

If you transfer the SD from one 3DS to another, you cannot play the games and you cannot access certain things - Streetpass data, DLC, Letterbox... Actually, I can't think of anything barring the photos that aren't encrypted for your specific handset.

Registering a new 3DS to your club nintendo account has no affect on e-Shop account. You can tie quite a few different 3DSes to the same account apparently.

Getting your e-Shop account moved to a new 3ds (should you buy a new one rather than repair) is a laborious process, or at least it was for me. And it requires sending your 3DS to nintendo, or so they've told me. This wasn't always the case but seems to be how they want to do it now. they may need you to send in the broken 3DS to confirm it's out of action. You could find yourself sending in the old and new 3DS for them to do an account transfer... it's a bit silly really.

Contact them via the website above and ask 'em. You have no obligations till you send in the handset, and while they can be a bit slow I've found them to be pretty understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

Thank's for the advice, I've emailed nintendo. We'll have to weigh up our options now. If we get it repaired who's to say something else won't go wrong with it again in the near future. We'll have to have a think on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ecarg wrote: »
    Thank's for the advice, I've emailed nintendo. We'll have to weigh up our options now. If we get it repaired who's to say something else won't go wrong with it again in the near future. We'll have to have a think on it.

True, but same could be said of anything that breaks. If you don't get it repaired at all, then you're left with an expensive paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

So the latest is Nintendo phoned me back, very helpful customer care. They're sending me a freepost form to forward the 3ds to them, I've been reassured that any repair puts the console under a new 12 month warranty plus no hassle of system transfer, so it's looking like the best option. Thank's again for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement