Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircoach Dublin-Cork express

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bk - does that mean you'll stop posting about Irish Rail then? :D

:D I will stop posting about Irish Rail, just as soon as they stop taking a 200 million a year in subsidies. Even if I never use IR again, it is still going to cost me in taxes.

But I'll admit I'll have less first hand experience of IR's services in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

3 hours non stop. This is great news.

Does it cost any more? Couldn't tell from website.

I do wonder that if GoBus run a similar timetable, will they take some of AirCoach's passengers with their on board toilet feature.

GoBus should def run the hour AirCoach isn't, giving an hourly service Cork to Dublin.

IE will need to react, no doubt. Their avg train time is 2hrs 45 to 2hrs 50. You must get to/from train station too.

So quicker now Dublin city centre to Cork city centre on AirCoach, traffic dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

This is great news. Aircoach need to do a bit of marketing now to promote this new service.
    It's the 2nd Apr already and even the website is not up to date, just a mention in the news section.
    The revenue they are now not getting because of lack of awareness could easilly been spent on a bit of Pre-Launch advertising.

Roll on the GoBus service so we can have some healthy competition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I've seen this happen before with Aircoach on other route launches, in particular the Greystones one which had a banner linking to the timetable for about 6 months but nothing in the timetables section itself, parts of the website such as live position were broken for a while before they were removed and there are still a few bits of the site that are outdated even before the new route launch.

The impression I get that there is nobody there who is really dedicated to the web side of things, be that the website, social networking, or that kind of thing and if there is there is only perhaps one person who is able to do certain tasks, as the news is always well updated but other things are only done in batches I presume as the news is done through an administration interface and the rest needs some kind of web/development skills which may not be in wide supply in the company which causes the slowdown.

Having worked in IT myself, the above is not that uncommon, particularly in small companies that are based mostly outdoors with very if any full-time few office staff - however it's not something that is quite hard to address. just a few hours work on that website would make a big difference almost immediately, even I could do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Oh come on, we both know that it is not so simple, what exactly is going to help in the short term without some investment that is no doubt tight?

• Advertisement

Well it doesn't require investment really, whilst a total redesign would be nice, just some small few minute tweaks to the current one would make a huge difference.

EG:
    - More interaction on Twitter and Facebook, offer a free tickets to a random person when a milestone of followers or fans on Facebook are reached.
    - Links to Facebook and Twitter via a little logo at the bottom of every page
    - Update of 'Our Service' page to look a little less boring and outline what the coaches offer (Wifi, extra legroom, leather seating, etc) with graphics.
    - Make it clear wireless is offered - this isn't mentioned anywhere on the site!!
    - Aircoach have lovely new 2009 coaches, but do not feature a single picture of them on their site?! In fact there is no picture of any coach apart from on the front page.
    - Travel Shop Belfast - does this exist any more, the service does not?
    - Replace the current heavily outdated logo with the Travel in Luxury one and make it slightly bigger.
    - You can then move the list of routes in the image under the logo to the top right hand corner beside the logo and also use this top right area as an advertising space for offers/services as well as the list of routes*
    - Use the freed up space under logo to use pictures of coaches the aircoach desk etc to break the text up*

* = Already done before, see an old page style here:
    http://www.bookassist.com/affiliate/aircoach/ba_ireland.html

None of that requires investment, none of it requires a total redesign, but it makes a damn good bit of difference for no cost outlay. Of course ideally it would go further, but they're a good start if you are going to use the current design as a basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ronnie Binge

Good for Aircoach, I find their service to the airport to be excellent and their parent company, First, have reasonably deep pockets to make it a success.

Personally however, if I was travelling to Cork I would use the train in almost any circumstance, unless I needed to use the late night service. I find long distance coach travel to be claustrophobic. Having a work space and access to coffee and sandwiches is for me an infinitely better way to travel.

However, choice is good and BÉ's offering on the coach route is poor and unattractive.

They've updated the site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

They've updated the site now.
    pure scandal though hidden on the terms of the new service.
    pensioners or other vunerable people with free travel passes (but plenty enough cash to be...) jetting off to the sun cant use the express bus to Dublin airport to do so.
    After loosing their free passport last year and all ......
    Terrible. :rolleyes:

mock pity aside.
    The late services leaving Dublin airport are a great addition.
    For those of us on the continent (or beyond) relying on evening flights to Dublin in order to get to Cork, they are literally a godsend as the only alternative is to fly to Cork via Heathrow/ Amsterdam or hire a car one way from Dublin to cork after the last bus had left at 7pm.
    Or take days off work and get one of the few direct connections that may exist to Cork.

That Cork Timetable page is absolutely shocking.

It is the most unfriendly page to the eye I think I have ever seen. You have the paragraphs of text at the top that tries to be all things to everyone but just makes the thing look too complicated. Then as for the tables down below, they are not much nicer.

Really all they need to do is to stick the information about the Express service on one page, the information about the stopping service on the other page (like citylink), with a note at the top of each saying <click here> for details on the other one. Either that or put them on the same page but in different sections but right now it's not user friendly in the slightest.

They also should get rid of all of those rogue < signs that appear randomly and make the link to the PDF actually work. At least they've got rid of the initial banner though that was there, which truly was shocking, the current one is better for sure even if the spelling of Ballinteer is wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What is the latest service before midnight that departs Cork for Dublin city centre? It still seems to be the train at 2030?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

So the express service appears to be same price as the slower one.

€22 Adult return Cork to Dublin city. Add €6 if going to/from Dublin airport.

n97 mini wrote: »
    What is the latest service before midnight that departs Cork for Dublin city centre? It still seems to be the train at 2030?

Still the 7pm (commuter) service is the last bus. First one is 1.00am next morning (express) However they do state on Facebook and also on Twitter that this is the first phase of the new route and they appear to be still advertising for extra drivers, so maybe they will add later services a short while down the line.
    So the express service appears to be same price as the slower one.

€22 Adult return Cork to Dublin city. Add €6 if going to/from Dublin airport.

It would seem that way - It will be interesting to see if returns bought on bus can use the return journey on a differing type of service, be that express or commuter from the initial one. Hopefully they will.

When they update the online booking for the new service it should give us a good idea from the options it allows you to select.

Relax - there is nothing wrong with the website, you can read it easily I don't see what the problem is, christ it's not the end of the world. What they want to do with it at the end of the day is up to them, if you feel so strongly about it why don't you email them with it rather than posting it here, perhaps we could even get back on topic?

The mis-spelling and the broken link are purely just an oversight, don't you ever make mistakes yourself? Come on, lighten up and lets discuss the topic at hand rather than trying to nit pick as much as possible it's great to have a new service, and I'm sure that running a bus company is more about operational quality rather than how good your website is, because after all the first thing someone thinks of when using a company is not how good their website is, it's all about the service.

The rest of you - if you have questions why not pick up the dog and bone and actually call the guys at Aircoach or email them or something like that, you know they're not going to post replies to your nit picking comments here, so why criticize!

You will all be happy to know the issues now appear to be fixed so you grammar nazi's can sleep easily tonight.

The PDF also now works:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/media/Cork%20Flyer%20120402.pdf

It is easier to read than the website, which should hopefully help the people who are unable to make out the table on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 double jeopardy

There is no room for any other operator on this route now.Aircoach has actualy planned all this very well.They are head to head on bus eireanns times which will guarantee them all dublin/cork bound "Bus Eireann" passengers and they have the multi stop at the other hour.Irish rail run on the half hour so whoever the other operator is supposed to be i wouldnt fancy their chances.The passenger flow isnt there for half hour services and First will put resources on this if needs be, that no operator here or in the UK could even imagine.
    I was of the impression that this new transport authority was goin to be the bee's Knees.Why would they flood this route with licences again where its sufficiently serviced with bus eireann and aircoach already?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

double jeopardy what a load of bull.

If Galway can sustaining three operators operating four routes in addition to rail, then there is plenty of room in Cork for similar:

Galway:
    Gobus hourly direct
    CityLink hourly direct
    CityLink bi-hourly stopping
    Bus Eireann bi-hourly stopping

Cork currently has:
    Aircoach bi-hourly direct
    Aircoach bi-hourly stopping
    Bus Eireann bi-hourly stopping

So you see there is plenty of space for a third operator. If GoBus even put on a hourly direct service, there would still actually be less services then to Galway! So plenty of room for another operator to our second largest city.

GoBus shouldn't have much trouble competing, with their onboard toilets and superior website and advertising, they shouldn't have much trouble against Aircoach, BE and IR. Given that they successfully compete in Galway against CityLink, who are frankly far more aggressive and savvy then Aircoach, I don't think they will be too worried.

As for why the NTA would "flood" this route. I would ask you, why shouldn't they?

Let the companies compete, it will force them to provide better services and keep prices low. We have seen that in Galway where due to GoBus/CityLink, BE have been forced to introduce newer, much nicer buses and free wifi and Irish Rail actually reduced their train ticket prices and introduced free wifi.

Great news for the consumer. I can't understand why anyone would be against this unless they have a vested interested in one of the older operators.

This is all well within the NTA policy documents which recommend the licensing of two hourly (i.e. every 30 minutes) direct services on intercity routes and two bi-hourly (i.e. every hour) stopping service on intercity routes.

In fact per this policy, if GoBus enter with an hourly service and assuming Aircoach only got a license for a bi-hourly service, we could actually see a fourth service provider offering a bi-hourly direct service *

* I actually doubt this, I assume Aircoach have a license for an hourly direct service, but are running only bi-hourly at the moment and will expand to hourly in time.

Glad that they have fixed the errors up, looks better now for sure.

First are going through a tough time in the UK right now and are having to sell of numerous parts of their bus empire to meet their financial targets, they certainly do not have such deep pockets as they did before which has seen their share price going flying in the wrong direction. So I wouldn't expect mass investment, especially when Aircoach was apparently loss making in their last accounts.

Saying that I'm sure Aircoach themselves have some reserves and a little investment from First is likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Trying to book the westmoreland street to cork and can't book the 6pm express service. Sigh. It just shows the normal routes. (i.e. 5pm, 7pm etc)

Is there are seperate link for the express?

Some answers for you all (based on confirmed information from Aircoach)

Toilets:
    If a passenger requires a toilet break, the driver will be happy to stop in Urlingford or elsewhere if necessary, for example a petrol station.

Online Booking:
    The online booking system is being updated and fares for the express service should be able to be booked online very soon. Until then you should buy your ticket from the driver as normal - the price is the same as buying online.

Timetable News:
    Phase 2 of the New Cork Express service will see a further big increase in the number of Express services. This will be launching in the quite near future. No dates confirmed as yet, but likely to relate to recruitment as they still are advertising for extra staff.

• Advertisement

Some answers for you all (based on confirmed information from Aircoach)

Thanks for the info.
    Toilets:
    If a passenger requires a toilet break, the driver will be happy to stop in Urlingford or elsewhere if necessary, for example a petrol station.

Really not attractive to most people, will mean the bus will be late.

If GoBus launch with toilets, I predict it will be far more popular. I know all my Corkonian friends living in Dublin say the same, they want onboard toilets.
    Online Booking:
    The online booking system is being updated and fares for the express service should be able to be booked online very soon. Until then you should buy your ticket from the driver as normal - the price is the same as buying online.

Timetable News:
    Phase 2 of the New Cork Express service will see a further big increase in the number of Express services. This will be launching in the quite near future. No dates confirmed as yet, but likely to relate to recruitment as they still are advertising for extra staff.

Great news that the service will expand further. From the two pieces of info above, I guess they rushed to launch this service before GoBus launches their service. To get some publicity.

Obviously the main aim was to beat Gobus.ie to the launch with this service, hence why the online booking and all the services are not ready. They were able to react quite quickly after getting the licenses as I would say some of the Dublin based duties will be worked by staff freed up from service cuts on other routes at the start of March.

However the Cork based duties that they want to bring it would be harder to staff so I would say so I would imagine a lot of the second phase would involve mostly new duties by Cork based staff which they are recruiting for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

What's the ownership behind Gobus and Citylink? Do they have the cash to match an expansion drive by First/Aircoach given the tight lending environment in Ireland at present?

dowlingm wrote: »
    What's the ownership behind Gobus and Citylink? Do they have the cash to match an expansion drive by First/Aircoach given the tight lending environment in Ireland at present?

Citylink are owned by a large multi-national group, ComfortDelGiro who outsource the operation of their services to Galway based Calinan coaches. GoBus are headed up by Jim Burke who ironically previously founded Citylink in Ireland before they were sold up. Even more ironically, the current Aircoach boss is a previous managing director of Citylink. GoBus service is run in partnership with Bernard Kavanagh, who they lease a number of coaches from.

First's share price has gone through the floor in recent weeks and they need to raise £100m by selling parts of their business off. They've already sold off part of the operations in London, full operations in North Devon and Kings Lynn in the UK along with selling off their German company as well as pulling out of a joint rail contract in Scandinavia. They've also pulled out of Bury St Edmunds and only yesterday announced they are cutting 250 jobs in East Scotland and closing many routes. I wouldn't be sure that Aircoach's future and current ownership is that secure based on that so they may not be as powerful as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I wonder is there an intent of any operator (gobus/citylink/aircoach) to start a Limerick express- Dublin Coach are doing pretty well from their new express service...particularly from UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

devnull wrote: »

First are going through a tough time in the UK right now and are having to sell of numerous parts of their bus empire to meet their financial targets, they certainly do not have such deep pockets as they did before which has seen their share price going flying in the wrong direction. So I wouldn't expect mass investment, especially when Aircoach was apparently loss making in their last accounts.

Saying that I'm sure Aircoach themselves have some reserves and a little investment from First is likely.

FirstGroup are paying a heavy price for some very poor management acumen in it's recent past.

The Company's operations in the Uk have consistently figured in the press regarding poor performance and also questionable maintenance and operational attitudes.

Some high-level managerial resignations,retirements and attendant shuffling failed to produce a Management Team with a clearly defined purpose.

It would not surprise me if in the near future FirstGroup decided to disengage from the Irish Public Transport sector,thus leaving Aircoach open to accquisition (or RE-accquisition ;) )

Aircoach is currently under the stewardship of a Manager whose time is divided between Dublin and Bristol,with the Irish operation meriting the lesser part of the working week.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It would not surprise me if in the near future FirstGroup decided to disengage from the Irish Public Transport sector,thus leaving Aircoach open to accquisition (or RE-accquisition ;) )

Aircoach is currently under the stewardship of a Manager whose time is divided between Dublin and Bristol,with the Irish operation meriting the lesser part of the working week

Ahh Alek, do you have some inside information you wish to share :pac:

Although I do agree with your sentiments - it would be slightly amusing if everything did end up back with Dublin Coach again, it would be a full circle! I did read that the Aircoach MD was appointed to a second role, which struck me as kind of odd, considering he went from Aircoach only to having a dual role rather than the other way around.

That would give me the impression, to a degree that perhaps there could be some movement regarding ownership in the future, with First trying to keep some of their prized managers "in-house" post sale, by assigning them to other roles elsewhere in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

devnull wrote: »

Although I do agree with your sentiments - it would be slightly amusing if everything did end up back with Dublin Coach again, it would be a full circle! I did read that the Aircoach MD was appointed to a second role, which struck me as kind of odd, considering he went from Aircoach only to having a dual role rather than the other way around.

That would give me the impression, to a degree that perhaps there could be some movement regarding ownership in the future, with First trying to keep some of their prized managers "in-house" post sale, by assigning them to other roles elsewhere in the business.

It might be "odd" for sure,but it's not unheard of in the industry right now.

Perhaps the biggest n best example being Stagecoach plc's departure from the London scene some years ago,followed by their subsequent re-accquisition of the exact same business (for a song)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f870d5e6-d839-11df-a7b4-00144feabdc0.html

Sell for £264 Million.....re-accquire for £53 Million...Happy Daze I should think ?

Some historical coverage here ....including a pat on the back for the bank formerly known as Anglo-Irish Bank ...:D

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/firstgroup-deal-is-a-new-departure-for-busy-aircoach-195442.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I wonder is there an intent of any operator (gobus/citylink/aircoach) to start a Limerick express- Dublin Coach are doing pretty well from their new express service...particularly from UL.

Was wondering that myself. I know bus eir have an express from galway to limerick, but not lim to cork. Do any operators run express or late night services cork to limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Both Bus Eireann and Citylink operate express services between Limerick and Cork. Neither operate non-stop services however - there is no motorway between the two cities.

Advertisement