Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I just realised that you could see the cuts on my leg through my tights today :mad::( Only when I bent my knee but I'm really freaked out that people might have seen. New tights too. To the bin they go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Aoifums wrote: »
    I just realised that you could see the cuts on my leg through my tights today :mad::( Only when I bent my knee but I'm really freaked out that people might have seen. New tights too. To the bin they go!

Return them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Do you find that you'd cover up your arms and legs because of the cuts?

jammstarr wrote: »

Doesn't everyone who does it cover up their scars?

cloud493 wrote: »

Not meaning to sound smart or anything but I didn't know, that's why I asked.

I've done it a few times but never very deep so my few scars are very faint and not very noticeable.

• Advertisement

Return them?

You can't return them once they've been opened. Or at all.

Yep. But it's freezing so no one notices. At least I leave my forearms alone so they're grand. And everyone knows I wear dresses all the time so tights aren't suspicious right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Before the past two weeks I would have said no. Although most of my scars are on my legs which are generally covered, I've a couple on my arm, mostly burns (again, speaking in a 'two weeks ago' way, after last week there'll be more to come). Whatever people think it's their problem, not mine. The people closest to me are the only ones whose opinions actually matter to me so I'm not bothered really. In saying that, my arms'll now be covered for a few months til they heal a bit. Fresh cuts or burns would totally be out of the question though, definitely covered.

Everyone knows I wear dresses all the time so tights aren't suspicious right now.

Could you get away with some light leggings instead? Not the see through ones like tights. I'm a lad so apologies if my fashion terms or tastes are way off :o

Could you get away with some light leggings instead? Not the see through ones like tights. I'm a lad so apologies if my fashion terms or tastes are way off :o

Thanks but the tights are staying. Leggings add an extra inch that I really can't afford :(

Everyone knows I wear dresses all the time so tights aren't suspicious right now.

Another gender assumption.. Thought you were a girl :p

• Advertisement

I genuinely LOL'd :D

Glad I wasnt the only one. Sorry jammstarr!

Glad I wasnt the only one. Sorry jammstarr!

It's all good :)

Have to get stitches and staples out tomorrow. The staples are driving me mad, I don't know whether is because of them that I've a shooting pain up to my hand or if I brushed off a nerve. Seriously hoping it's the former.

Have to get stitches and staples out tomorrow. The staples are driving me mad, I don't know whether is because of them that I've a shooting pain up to my hand or if I brushed off a nerve. Seriously hoping it's the former.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Did you start going to the day hospital yet?

Not yet, four people ahead of me. One of the staff is on maternity leave so it's muddling things up a bit. I'm okay at the minute though.

I'm okay at the minute though.

Glad to hear it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Does anyone else pick at their skin rather than cut? I look like I have permanent acne. Quite embarrassing

neemish wrote: »
    Does anyone else pick at their skin rather than cut? I look like I have permanent acne. Quite embarrassing

My scalp, constantly. Palmers cocoa butter with the extra vitamin e, the one with the yellow label is the best for clearing marks up incase you're looking for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Got my mood back up by taking the weekend off college work, which was fine as I don't have any immediate deadlines. Just have to work hard all week. :)

Gonna try do my counselling homework now. Don't know where to start. 10 things you like about yourself, and a few HAVE to be physical. And write a page about the costs of eating disorders, including mental costs. We spoke in the session how I still think the mental benefits outweigh the health costs :-/ I want to try and be honest here but its tough!

• Advertisement

Gonna try do my counselling homework now. Don't know where to start. 10 things you like about yourself, and a few HAVE to be physical.

I couldn't tell you 2 things I like about my body let alone 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Doesnt have to be 10 physical things but a few! I can think if one... maybe I'll sleep on it again >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Shapely earlobes perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Crap few days continues. Feel empty/dead inside. Could not care less if I lived or died and this doesn't bother me. Better than very low and ruminating though.

I did use to try just... bashing me, off things, if that makes sense. Like punching things. Or jumping off thing I knew where too high for me to safely to land. But it was noticable,s o i had to switch to a razor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

nesf wrote: »
    Crap few days continues. Feel empty/dead inside. Could not care less if I lived or died and this doesn't bother me. Better than very low and ruminating though.

You know this is pretty much exactly how I feel at the moment. The anti depressant has noticeably stopped me getting extremely low these days but I feel very flat and apathetic about everything including life. Frustrating but I suppose it's good in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

anonimous wrote: »
    hey everyone,

i know this probably seems off topic but i only found this thread this morning, and well i've been reading it almost all day. anyway to the point of this post, how did you get help?

i'm 18, living at home and doing the leaving cert. i know i need to tell them... i just don't know how. any suggestions? i realise i'm over-thinking this, as i do everything but telling them absolutely terrifies me, they don't take/react to anything out of the "norm" well.

i'm so tired of my own self-sabotage. i want to do well for once goddamnit! sorry for the slight vent/ramble/whatever.

any advice would be very much appreciated!

once you've admitted it to yourself its much easier.. Telling them will make it easy for you to succeed.. Or if you don't feel comfortable, you could tell a teacher you trust and they will talk to your parents for you.

It's hard, im in a very similar situation to you. I've only just admitted I need help, on my way to my first counselling appt, because I know I'll just ruin college for myself if I don't, and then all the hard work I'ved done will be for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Plumpynuter

Wow, this is the first time anyone I've seen anyone else talk about this. I complained endlessly about my jaw being uncomfortable and I did notice a definite change (sunken eyes puffy face) after being on meds for about 2 years. I'm off them now as well and definitely feel better but the changes to my face have remained for the most part...

Plumpy, how long off meds were you before you noticed things going back to normal? Was it a quick contrast?

4 weeks off there was an improvement. About 3 months off the meds I noticed a big difference and within 6 months most off I was more or less back to normal. Except for my teeth that I had grinded down from clenching.

I read that if meds are causing you issues with digestion and constipation this can affect your nutrition levels. I felt constantly dehydrated on the meds no matter how much water I drank. This happened to me on different types over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

4 weeks off there was an improvement. About 3 months off the meds I noticed a big difference and within 6 months most off I was more or less back to normal. Except for my teeth that I had grinded down from clenching.

I read that if meds are causing you issues with digestion and constipation this can affect your nutrition levels. I felt constantly dehydrated on the meds no matter how much water I drank. This happened to me on different types over the years.

Interesting. I suppose I've been off them nearly six months and things haven't returned to normal aesthetically, but that could be in my head... I was constantly dehydrated as well, i'd get up in the morning and literally could not open my mouth because the top was stuck to the bottom! And no matter how much water I drank it didn't seem to make a difference.

For me, the physical problems were chronic so it just wasn't worth staying on them. Thanks for the info.

On another note, does anyone else find that if you really want to beat something like this, it requires work all day every day... like active mental work. For me to keep it up it feels like I have to consciously use as much of my brain as I would studying... if I stop for a period of time I regress

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

To be positive - I like my fingers and my thighs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement