Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

http://www.ipchicken.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Uh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

does anyone know why one's ip's differ from the actual readings some sites give off?

You may be configured to use a proxy, or a gateway between you and the Internet at large could be configured to redirect web requests through a proxy, or some sort of NAT could do it, or ... *shrug*

It shows the correct IP for me (the IP of my gateway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Cisco are you on UTV?

They use a transparent proxy for all web activity, so an ip like 195.x.x.8 may be the ip showing up.

As thats there transparent cache ip, I cant recall it off hand but those are the starting and ending numbers.

hth,

Paul

correctamundo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

proxy ip is 195.218.116.8

for future reference.

its only used for port 80 (http) traffic and nothing else, and there is no way around it that i am aware. I've asked to be taken off it, but was told it was impossible.

No matter :)

Paul

Considering that you have ssh access to external servers (I assume), you could set up your own proxy on the internal interface of one of those servers, and use an ssh tunnel to access it. Turning on compression should help to minimise any slowdown.

In your situation, that will tunnel *all* traffic through the proxy, not just web traffic.

Advertisement