Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap/free cable tv

• 05-06-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey I dont know much about cable tv... but I was just wondering if there's a way of getting free or cheap cable if theres a ntl/upc point in the house and you already have a upc box. Obviously something legal! Is there any sort of "free-to-air" version of UPC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No such thing exists

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Ah darn! How woul d Igo about getting cable tv. In rented accommodation I had before we had 20ish channels. the irish ones, plus E4, channel 4, comedy central, sky news etc. Any idea how to get that? What company its with?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In rented accommodation I had before we had 20ish channels. the irish ones, plus E4, channel 4, comedy central, sky news etc. Any idea how to get that? What company its with?

The old analogue cable package, approx 17 channels. UPC may be the provider if you live in their cable area. Where are you located?

No longer marketed by UPC and when it was it cost as much the basic digital package which contained more channels. When you subscribe to the basic digital package the analogue may also be there.

http://www.upc.ie/television/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have found with UPC their "digital value" non recording box, actually works out slightly cheaper than using no box. You cannot order "digital value" through their website, but you should be able to over the phone. It would be around 27 Euro a month.

Either way you will need a cable that goes from the wall box into the TV or set top box.

UPC are freephone 1908, if unsure ring them and give your exact address.

If you do decide the basic 17 channels are OK, be aware that nearly every one is now available for free, the Irish ones through an aerial and the UK ones through a dish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you get interweb from UPC then in most areas you'll get basic TV too. (not sure about Cork)

Otherwise there is Saorview / FreeSat / Netflix / iPlayer etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If you get interweb from UPC then in most areas you'll get basic TV too. (not sure about Cork)

Cork is digital only so you would need a STB and viewing card

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lertsnim wrote: »
    Cork is digital only so you would need a STB and viewing card
    4 terrestrial channels are carried on analogue cable
    Apogee wrote: »
    Terrestrial channels still being broadcasted on analogue over UPC cable in Cork.

RTE 1 - 176MHz
    TG4 - 192 MHz
    TV3 - 200 MHz
    RTE 2 - 216 MHz

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Otherwise there is Saorview / FreeSat / Netflix / iPlayer etc.

Hey i have the 100mb broadband from upc but opted out of a tv package - could i get the regular channels anyway?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bonkers wrote: »
    Hey i have the 100mb broadband from upc but opted out of a tv package - could i get the regular channels anyway?
    Just plug the TV in and do a scan

if you are in Dublin you should get the channels listed above

i'm in dublin and i think i tried this when i got the internet setup in march.. do i search cable or digital signal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's an analogue (terrestrial analogue scan) signal. UPC never turned off the analogue when it was turned off elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

i'm in dublin and i think i tried this when i got the internet setup in march.. do i search cable or digital signal?

Aerial (not cable) and analogue (not digital).

Although the signal is coming in via a cable, you need to search for VHF & UHF channels as if they were coming from an aerial on the roof.

need to get one of those connections to the upc box... whats the name of the connector that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

need to get one of those connections to the upc box... whats the name of the connector that

F-Connector

F-Connector2.jpg

ok first of all

thanks so much guys.. great info.. can't believe i had left it there for 4 months

I have scanned and got about 7 channels and 6 encrpyted sky movies etc

The channels i have are pretty bad coverage wise.. quite bad reception
    mtv sky news, e4 etc..

I have connected and reconnected but no joy.. any thoughts

Advertisement