Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing automatic filling valve on central heating with manual

• 23-01-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi, from reading other posts it seems that automatic filling valves are a bad idea on central heating. Just wondering how big a job it is to have one removed and replaced with a manual filling loop? No-one has mentioned the valve as a potential problem when servicing the boiler, but is it recommended to get rid of it? Its gas central heating with a Vokera boiler.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Vokera boilers usually come with a manual filling valve connected temporarily to a loop.
    Why do you think there is an automatic filling device installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Marlay

heinbloed wrote: »
    Vokera boilers usually come with a manual filling valve connected temporarily to a loop.
    Why do you think there is an automatic filling device installed?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been told by previous plumbers that its topped up from the main water tank in the attic. Where would the manual filling valve be if there is one?

At the bottom of the boiler where the pipes enter and leave. It says "Vokera" on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

From installing 100s of Vokera's there is no filling loop with the boiler. Your system is semi sealed and a filling loop would find it hard to fill your system, they need a bit of pressure behind them (mains water) to open the built in non-return valve. You could try putting in a manual lever valve above the auto fill valve so you can isolate.

A word of caution! I have never seen auto fill valves fitted to a semi sealed system. Are you sure it is fed from the tank? What pressure is on the Gauge?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

jeez vokera must be leaving me short that filler loop with their name on it on all those boilers i installed!!! Heinbloed,where do u get this info from?

• Advertisement

Gdavis asks:
    jeez vokera must be leaving me short that filler loop with their name on it on all those boilers i installed!!! Heinbloed,where do u get this info from?

I get this information from reading the installer manual and controlling the content of the delivered box.

The part code for the
    "Filling loop flexible pipe" -in case you have order it - is 10023570
    For the manual "Filling cock" it is 10023568

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I do remember the Combi boiler vokeras had a fill loop on the pipes to the boiler it was like a 3 way valve to provide mains water to either instanteous hot water/ off / heating fill .

I am 100% about these coming with the combi a few years ago , dont remember them ever coming with standard boilers

I am 100% about these coming with the combi a few years ago , dont remember them ever coming with standard boilers

depends on the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

gary71 wrote: »
    depends on the manufacturer.
    i said vokera

i said vokera

my bad

• Advertisement

Marlay wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been told by previous plumbers that its topped up from the main water tank in the attic. Where would the manual filling valve be if there is one?

In your hotpress more than likely.

I do remember the Combi boiler vokeras had a fill loop on the pipes to the boiler it was like a 3 way valve to provide mains water to either instanteous hot water/ off / heating fill .

They come with the combi's al right, not with the standard boiler which is probably what the OP has.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    From installing 100s of Vokera's there is no filling loop with the boiler. Your system is semi sealed and a filling loop would find it hard to fill your system, they need a bit of pressure behind them (mains water) to open the built in non-return valve. You could try putting in a manual lever valve above the auto fill valve so you can isolate.

A word of caution! I have never seen auto fill valves fitted to a semi sealed system. Are you sure it is fed from the tank? What pressure is on the Gauge?

Pretty sure. Auto fill is probably the wrong term. In the hotpress the pipe for cold water into the cylinder has another pipe from it, just before where it enters the cylinder. This pipe has a valve with a red wheel and just below that what I'm assuming is a non-return valve.

The pressure is just under 1 bar when on, and around half that when off.

The pressure is just under 1 bar when on, and around half that when off.

This sounds ok. The pressure can increase in closed systems when the water gets hot and can't expand freely.

The " pipe for cold water into the cylinder " - is this the pipe for fresh water to be warmed up?

Is the " red wheel " kept closed?

Is there a expansion barrel installed? Maybe as part of the boiler, a red voluminous object?

This sounds ok. The pressure can increase in closed systems when the water gets hot and can't expand freely.

The " pipe for cold water into the cylinder " - is this the pipe for fresh water to be warmed up?

Yes, the pipe from the attic tank to the cylinder.

I've never touched it, should it be closed?
    Is there a expansion barrel installed? Maybe as part of the boiler, a red voluminous object?

Haven't seen anything like that around.

Thanks.

"Originally Posted by heinbloed viewpost.gif
    Is the " red wheel " kept closed?"

and the OP

"I've never touched it, should it be closed?"

No, not permanently. As long as the non-return valve is doing it's job it should be fine as it is.
    But to see if the system is leaking you could close the valve temporarily and watch the pressure. As long as the pressure stays within the usual readings (0.5-1.0 bar) there is no leak in your CH system and therefore no water added via the automatic refill.Nothing to be worried about.

After this test you should open this valve again to allow for normal operation.

In this case (when there is no leak) only very small amounts of fresh water will enter the CH system via the automatic filling. For example when 'bleeding' the radiators and when replacing the water lost via diffusion.

So there seems no problem with your heating system except that you're worried about the 'open' automatic filling valve? The domestic water is warm, the rooms are warm and the tap water not discoloured or smelly?

Ask the heating engineer/plumber when doing the anual check if there is enough corrossion inhibitant in the system. The concentration could become dilluted with leaks and consequent filling.

With a closed system there should be a pressure vat/barrel somewhere. However with well designed systems, esp. the larger ones it might no be necessesary. A larger system could have enough expansion capacity build-in, esp. when the temperatures (pressure) is not widely fluctuating.

Ask the maintenance person about it, if present this barrel should be checked as well.

Marlay wrote: »

I've never touched it, should it be closed?

No, in a ideal world there would be no valve between the tank for the cold feed and a boiler, if you feel the need to isolate the cold feed to test for pressure loss then it's best not to fire the boiler untill the test is complete, most system boilers have had their low water safety switches bypassed as the boilers were originally designed for a pressurised sealed system. Long story short you could melt the boiler:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pigeon 1982

id say the system is sealed as ALL vokera boilers are system boilers except the water heaters!aqua nova, shut of d prv and see if pressure drops from my experiance when i come across prvs on heating system i expect theres a leak some were that plumber cant find and stick 1 on and say problem fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭limos

Hi the screw attached on my filling loop on my central heating is all worn and I cannot top up the system, is this easy to replace myself I would be fairly competent at plumbing, just have never done this before

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

If you can close it and open it once more it should be a simple job to put another valve after the broken one. It all depends on the setup. A pic would help.

btw it its worn from use, you need to find out where the water is going before you destroy your heating system.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

dont be arse changing it, you can manually close the auto ones, the benefit of the auto ones, ends up being pretty much the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭John.G

The main reason for a auto top up system is exactly that..... no need to top up the system yearly etc, the big problem with this is that it masks any leaks that may develop in the system leading to corrosion and sludge build up unknowlingly occuring, much much better IMO to shut off the top up by simply shutting the black knob on the bottom of the PRV and checking the pressure occasionally, say every few months and topping up if required. You would generally set the pressure to 1.0bar via the adjusting screw on top of the PRV and let it at this setting and just shut the black knob after each top up.

re the semi sealed system, the top up water supply is from the small tank in the attic, these were originally open vent systems with a small feed and expansion tank in the attic, the system is then converted to a "semi" sealed system by blanking off the vent and installing a non return valve in the cold (make up) feed to the boiler and the installation of a expansion vessel, a isolating valve should be (ideally) installed in the mains make up to the F&E tank ballcock and kept closed, the tank level can then be chacked periodically, as above. I have a open vented system and keep this valve shut and have never had to top up the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

the reason they are bad is if you develop a leak, it wont stop when the pressure drops

in this case they want to replace with a manual when they already have an manual override

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭John.G

If only for interest, came across this some years ago which seemingly will shut off in the event of a large leak but of course will still mask small leakage resulting in corrosion etc.

https://flowflex.com/news/top-up-mate-launched-keep-your-customers-warm-this-winter

Advertisement