Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

• 13-07-2008 8:47pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Follwoing on from this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132322

I thought it was time to unstick the above thread and create a new thread to allow people to discuss use and configuration of bittorrent and other P2P programs on their Broadband connection it doesn't matter if its wireless, adsl or cable.

Remember to keep within the Broadband forum charter when it comes to discussing torrent sources (for example legal content only)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Nice idea. Torrents working fine on o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Not on UPC :( Getting download speed of 9kb on Limewire even after I opened the ports

• I assume it is legal content you are getting from limewire?
    using such an unsecure protocal for anything sensitive would be extremely ill advised.
    Google bittorrent and use it instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

rapidshare > bittorents :D

• nuxxx wrote: »
    rapidshare > bittorents :D

Yip, if you are a n00b and want to pay it sure is!But if you know how to use the bt protocal properly and have access to private sites then happy days!
    1.4 Mb/s every time on 12mb ntl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Torrents okay on Chorus for me. Maxing out 6MB connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 thebromeliad

david7536 wrote: »
    Yip, if you are a n00b and want to pay it sure is!But if you know how to use the bt protocal properly and have access to private sites then happy days!
    1.4 Mb/s every time on 12mb ntl

Still not as fast cos you're depending on other people's upload speeds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still not as fast cos you're depending on other people's upload speeds.

You'll find that on private sites many people have their own dedicated servers.

So instead of using their cable or dsl connection they'll be 10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1000Mbps Uplinks....very easy max out your line with bittorrent on a private site.

Cabaal wrote: »
    You'll find that on private sites many people have their own dedicated servers.

So instead of using their cable or dsl connection they'll be 10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1000Mbps Uplinks....very easy max out your line with bittorrent on a private site.
    I have access to torrentleech but I find rapidshare quicker. Buffering torrents does not compensate for not having the infrastructure of a major company like Rapidshare.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have access to torrentleech but I find rapidshare quicker. Buffering torrents does not compensate for not having the infrastructure of a major company like Rapidshare.

Its only a matter of time before Rapidshare is killed off, at the end of the day are they not physically hosting files and accepting money from people to provide these services.

Seems rather suspect and I don't think it'll be long before the MPAA come knocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its only a matter of time before Rapidshare is killed off, at the end of the day are they not physically hosting files and accepting money from people to provide these services.

Seems rather suspect and I don't think it'll be long before the MPAA come knocking
    RS.com will last for another 2 years at least. After that, I'll be going back to FTP's, and a few private torrent sites. The only problem with private torrent sites is getting into one that isn't looking for members. I've found those that look for members are usually stalek, and trying to get seeders in, but the site dies soon afterwards :(

Rapidshare is good for speed, and if you know how to use the search function, you'll find what you're looking for. Getting a film in 40 minutes from RS, whilst 3 people are bitching about their torrent speeds on IRC is always fun.

plazzTT wrote: »
    Torrents okay on Chorus for me. Maxing out 6MB connection.

Thats good best speed i can theoretically get is 236.8k :'(

Its only a matter of time before Rapidshare is killed off, at the end of the day are they not physically hosting files
    What do you mean? They are hosting files.

and accepting money from people to provide these services.

Rapidshare does not break any rules. Content providers such as Rapidshare must be provided with a take-down notice if copywrited content is uploaded by users. This is enshrined in national and international copyright law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

utorrent on BT LLU 8meg is fine in Dun Laoghaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Anyone one else on BT inable to access piratebay? I've been getting "connection refused" for about 3 or 4 days now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

How do I configure uTorrent for 3?

• I have access to torrentleech but I find rapidshare quicker. Buffering torrents does not compensate for not having the infrastructure of a major company like Rapidshare.

Buffering torrents?Can you explain, im not sure ive ever come across the bittorrent protocol having to buffer...Dont see how you can say rs is quicker than tl (or similiar sites: Sct, Ftn, Scc)...I have used a gigabit server and often get 40-50 MB/s down from tl and more on ftn, is rs really that fast?!

In the near future it will not be the Mpaa or similiar bodies that block user activity. It will be the isps that are charged with terminating offending accounts. The protocal that obfuscates data traffic most efficiently (and ip address cloaking will help aswell! (testing under way!) ) will be the one that lasts longest.

What do you mean? They are hosting files.

Ok,
    With bittorrent a tracker merely hosts a .torrent file that allows users to find the actual file that they want to download, it allows them to just connect to other users downloading/uploading or seeding the file in question.
    As such a bittorrent tracker does not physically host any file.

with Rapidshare from my review of it it physically hosts the file, so if thats a movie, tv show or bit of software thats copyright then Rapidshare are allowing this copyright material to be shared and stored on its servers.

While I'm sure they remove stuff once they have received a takedown notice this does not negate the fact that their are still likely hosting other files that are copyright and given enough time the likes of the MPAA n Co will go after t and they'll have an easier job killing it off then Napster, Supernova or anything of the rest.

If you'd like to backup your claims that them hosting copyright material is not illegal then please provide the relevant references in german and international law (RS appears to be a German company)

Ok,
    With bittorrent a tracker merely hosts a .torrent file that allows users to find the actual file that they want to download, it allows them to just connect to other users downloading/uploading or seeding the file in question.
    As such a bittorrent tracker does not physically host any file.

with Rapidshare from my review of it it physically hosts the file, so if thats a movie, tv show or bit of software thats copyright then Rapidshare are allowing this copyright material to be shared and stored on its servers.

While I'm sure they remove stuff once they have received a takedown notice this does not negate the fact that their are still likely hosting other files that are copyright and given enough time the likes of the MPAA n Co will go after t and they'll have an easier job killing it off then Napster, Supernova or anything of the rest.

If you'd like to backup your claims that them hosting copyright material is not illegal then please provide the relevant references in german and international law (RS appears to be a German company)

It's only really in the US that they'll do much about it. The MPAA are soulless, pure evil devils who should be locked up for badgering old grannies.

Anybody use Peer Guardian 2?
    I find it great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

barnicles wrote: »
    Anybody use Peer Guardian 2?
    I find it great
    No support for Vista x86 or x64. :(

Whats wrong? Can u not get it working?

It's only really in the US that they'll do much about it. The MPAA are soulless, pure evil devils who should be locked up for badgering old grannies.

true, but the US is very good at getting companys outside the US shutdown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

(RS appears to be a German company)

It is swiss: http://rapidshare.com/imprint.html

MFZ wrote: »

so it is, could have swore it said German on wikipedia, either way illegal content is still the issue

Follwoing on from this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132322

I thought it was time to unstick the above thread and create a new thread to allow people to discuss use and configuration of bittorrent and other P2P programs on their Broadband connection it doesn't matter if its wireless, adsl or cable.

Remember to keep within the Broadband forum charter when it comes to discussing torrent sources (for example legal content only)

An idea to merge the two?

An idea to merge the two?

There's alot of information in it thats conflicting and/or wrong and to be honest its an old enough thread, the thread is there if people want to read it.

Additionally the other thread was created to cover NTL/UPC and this thread has been created to cover all ISP's

As such merging it wouldn't make sense.

Whats wrong? Can u not get it working?

I get terrible speeds compared to direct download and some torrents with hundreds of seeds end up not picking up at all.

I need to do port forwarding, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Am on UTV internet and can max out my downlad speeds on torrents so I don't think do any traffic shaping*

*if you are on the unlimited usage cap they do say that heavy users (ie: p2p)might be put on 'heavy-user specific' servers during peak usage times (6 pm to 10 pm on weekdays I think), but I have never noticed any drop in speeds during peak time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭itisyeah

I have 3 broadband with quite good connection speeds, I'm based in Cork also but UTorrent shows a yellow Exclamation mark and advises I am firewalled even though I have the firewall down on the connection.

Let me know if you hear anything about configuring the speeds.
    If I change my speed settings the download speed momentarily jumps up to > 150 KB/s but then pummets back down again, I imagine 3 are throttling the limits.

Advertisement