Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 deanfitzg

Ah its not too bad lads. I was there with rockagusroll, medical takes ages tho but the Navy guys were a good laugh in the waiting room. The run is fine too, im out of training with about 6 months and i was the third back on the run and the other guys were right behind me. The guy who brings ye for the run is a bit nuts tho! You have been warned :p
    Btw which one were you rockagusroll?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

deanfitzg wrote: »
    Ah its not too bad lads. I was there with rockagusroll, medical takes ages tho but the Navy guys were a good laugh in the waiting room. The run is fine too, im out of training with about 6 months and i was the third back on the run and the other guys were right behind me. The guy who brings ye for the run is a bit nuts tho! You have been warned :p
    Btw which one were you rockagusroll?

I was the first back on the run, wrecked so i was! Haha yea he seems a bit nuts alright and supposedly he's one of the pt's for recruits :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LMG

I was the first back on the run, wrecked so i was! Haha yea he seems a bit nuts alright and supposedly he's one of the pt's for recruits :eek:

I'm a bit worried about my run,have my test next week and only ran the distance today in exactly 11 minutes which is not flattering by any means,and does not leave much room for error. I think though I might be taking it too easy at the start and wasting time and then start to panic when I look at the distance I have to make up. How long after the push ups and sit ups do you start the run and do you all warm up before this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I presume its the same as the army. They do it right after the push ups and sit ups, but do a pretty good warm up before hand.

Are you running on flat ground or with hills? Don't forget to take that into consideration... By the way, 11 mins is still a pass!

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I presume its the same as the army. They do it right after the push ups and sit ups, but do a pretty good warm up before hand.

Are you running on flat ground or with hills? Don't forget to take that into consideration... By the way, 11 mins is still a pass!

Thanks for the reply. I did it on a treadmill today in the gym which is worrying because the treadmill seems easier than out on the road. will just have to do it on the road tomorrow and see how I do.
    Ya I know,at least i'm currently passing but ideally I would like to be doing it in about 10mins.
    How achievable would it be to cut my time by a minute in 7 days,would u think?

• Advertisement

Marathon runner once told me to not let the treadmill fool you into thinking your running... Get out on the road instead!

Find a stretch of road 2.4km long and mark the half way point... Then pace yourself, when you reach half way pick up the pace a bit more and try hold it! Give yourself a rest the day before you go down though, last thing you want to do is overtrain!

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Marathon runner once told me to not let the treadmill fool you into thinking your running... Get out on the road instead!

Find a stretch of road 2.4km long and mark the half way point... Then pace yourself, when you reach half way pick up the pace a bit more and try hold it! Give yourself a rest the day before you go down though, last thing you want to do is overtrain!

Ya that is good advice, was thinking something along those lines today. Thanks for your help,will do that tomorrow evening and i will see how i get on. Best of luck to you as well by the way, hopefully all goes well for us.cheers

You'll do a quick warmup around the parade square first then you go into the gym for the pushups followed by the sit-ups and then it's straight out for the run. It's flat enough so just worry about pacing yourself and you'll be grand, as said above, 11 mins is still a pass! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

Fuk getting nervous reading this. I have mine next week and havnt done any training yet. I kept putting it off because busy with work now all of asudden its just a few days away. Gonna dif go for a run tomorrow see how I get on. Hopefully i wont be two bad.

What is the exact distance in miles that we have to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

1.5 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

MRLAZY wrote: »
    Fuk getting nervous reading this. I have mine next week and havnt done any training yet. I kept putting it off because busy with work now all of asudden its just a few days away. Gonna dif go for a run tomorrow see how I get on. Hopefully i wont be two bad.

What is the exact distance in miles that we have to run?

No offence and best of luck, but you have a very appropriate username.
    P.P.P etc.

concussion wrote: »
    1.5 miles.

cheers.

No offence and best of luck, but you have a very appropriate username.
    P.P.P etc.

I know ya I was thinking the same thing when I was writting the post. LOL. I always leave everything thing to the last minute. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

I was in the navy for a few years and only left a year ago , great time and you'll meet some fantastic people.

Its a good job, sometimes id love to be back - its has its downfalls but what job doesnt?

Its a very handy job - alot easier than many civvy jobs,ony more reason to join!

good luck to all!

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    I was in the navy for a few years and only left a year ago , great time and you'll meet some fantastic people.

Its a good job, sometimes id love to be back - its has its downfalls but what job doesnt?

Its a very handy job - alot easier than many civvy jobs,ony more reason to join!

good luck to all!

Any chance you can fill us in on what happens after recruit training and day-to-day life, etc?

Anyone have a rough figure on the number of people be called for interview,fitness and medical. Are they taking on a full class of 40 recruits?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

I was the third back. God help us if hes trainin us, seems a little bit touched. That doc seemed a bit nuts too, gave out to me for takin panadol.:confused:

I hope for your sake he doesn't go on boards! Touched or not, it wouldn't take a genius to work out who you are 'deanfitzg'.

delta720 wrote: »
    I hope for your sake he doesn't go on boards! Touched or not, it wouldn't take a genius to work out who you are 'deanfitzg'.

True, a quick search of "Navy" will show this thread up, I'd watch it Dean Fitzgearld... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I was the third back. God help us if hes trainin us, seems a little bit touched. That doc seemed a bit nuts too, gave out to me for takin panadol.:confused:

Have you ever heard of the phrase "heat seeker"?

I done my run this morning 1.5miles in 11mins and 30 sec. Not bad for my first run. But still not good enough. I dif could of done better I could of push myself more. Ill go for another run tomorrow after work and hopefully there will be an improvement.

Another thing regarding the LA 89 certificate that they want from you if you were in the reserve or PDF. Iv just found What I thought was my la 89 cert. But it doesnt say la89 cert on it. It just says Certicate of discharge and in it is my serving number, name, address, the amount of days effective service, start date, finish date and reason for discharge......etc

Anyone know if this the La 89 Cert or if I can just bring this instead??

Cheers in advance.

• Advertisement

Have you ever heard of the phrase "heat seeker"?

Yup and now i cant delete it.....
    Blaine where did you come in the run?

Did anyone hear anything back yet? Iv been haunting my e-mail every day :P

Yup and now i cant delete it.....
    Blaine where did you come in the run?

Down on Wednesday, I'll let you know how I get on... I think there's lads down on days all the up till the 25th so prob won't hear anything till after then!

Haven't heard anything yet but i think by talking to the navy guys last week that it was only last week and this for the medicals. He said roughly a hundred were being called down and there is a class of 40 being taken on in April.

Haven't heard anything yet but i think by talking to the navy guys last week that it was only last week and this for the medicals. He said roughly a hundred were being called down and there is a class of 40 being taken on in April.

That's good info man, thanks for that!

That sounds good. 40 out of a hundred.
    What Cloths are suitable to wear for interview?? suit and tie or will jeans shirt and shoes do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

MRLAZY wrote: »
    That sounds good. 40 out of a hundred.
    What Cloths are suitable to wear for interview?? suit and tie or will jeans shirt and shoes do?

Relax dude, its a pretty chilled interview. If you turned up in a suit you'd just look posh mate. Don't even bother with a shirt - just get a t-shirt.

40 out of 100 people, first impressions count... I'll be sporting a nice pair of slacks and shirt, regardless of how relaxed the interview is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I'd wear a suit myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Panda General

Yea i think it would be best to wear a suit, it will look better than wearing jeans and shirt in my opinion.:D

Advertisement