Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

To Kill a Mockingbird

Closing of Novel
    • Resolution of plots
    · We finally meet Boo Radley
    · W learn that he should not be prejudiced and that the gossip and rumours that we have heard about him are untrue
    · The novel comes full circle as we learn how Jem broke his arm
    · Scout realises that Boo Radley and Tom Robinson are both innocent men and compares them to mockingbirds who do no harm “but sing their hearts out for us”
    · Scout sees that she herself, Jem and Dill were prejudiced towards Boo Radley in the same way that Maycomb were prejudiced towards Tom Robinson – she sees that they were both unfairly treated
    • Tension
    · conversation between Scout, Atticus and Heck Tate
    · Heck Tate feels that it would be unfair to put Boo Radley in the spotlight by saying that he killed Bob Ewell
    · Heck Tate says that Bob Ewell fell on his knife and killed himself
    · Scout agrees with the sheriff as she too feels that “it’d be sort of like shootin’ a mockingbird” and that “it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird”
    · Thus is a lesson that Scout has learned from her father and now it is finally being repaid to him
    · Scout teaches her father the lesson he once taught her
    3. Scout’s Development
    · Shows great maturity as she teaches Atticus his own lesson that accusing Boo Radley would “be sort of like shootin’ a mockingbird”
    · She shows great maturity when she allows Boo Radley to lead her to his house instead of her leading him = she protects his pride and standing in the community
    · She understands that she has to act within society’s expectations of her
    · We see that she is still a little girl, even after all that she has been through = we see her climbing onto Atticus’ lap and being read to sleep by him
    · She is able to put herself in Boo Radley’s shoes in order to understand the sheriff
    · She realises that she can act in her own way and remain true to herself while inside her house but she can project a ladylike appearance on the outside – just as Alexandra did when told about Tom Robinson’s death
    · She sees that white lies are acceptable in order to protect a certain person – at start Atticus tells her that they will keep reading if she stays in school, so she won’t embarrass Miss Caroline – white lie about Bob Ewell falling on his knife in order to protect Boo Radley.

An Tigh Nua - Seán Mac Fheorais
    Tá Séan Mac Fheorais sean anois agus tá sé ag feachaint siar ar a shaol. Nuair a phós sé i dtosach, bhí saol crua go leor aige féin agus ag a bhean chéile. Bhí a lán páistí acu agus bhí said an-sona mar chlann. Ach bhí a detach róbheag don méid sin daoine.
    Théastaigh ó Shéan saol níos fearr a thabhairt dá chlann agus chuir sé airgead i dtaisce ar feadh i bhfad. Nuair a bhí go leor airgid aige, thóg sé teach mór a raibh a lán seomraí ann.
    Ach obair in aisce a bhí ann, mar d’fhás a chlann suas agus tá said imithe. Anois tá sé féin agus a bhean ina n-aonar sa teah mór folamh agus tá said uaigneach.

Cuireann sé pictiúr truamhéalach os ár gconhair de sheanfhear uaigneach agus é ag féachaint siar ar na seanlaethanta nuair a bhí sé sona.
    Tá codarsnacht mhór sa dán idir an chéad véarsa agus an dara véarsa: Sa chéad vearsa feicimid lánúin óg agus a gclann mheidhreach ina gcónaí i detach beag plódaithe.Sa dara véarsa feicimid lánúin aosta uaigneach ina gcónaí i detach mór folamh.
    Tá pictiúr an-mhaith sa chéad véarsa den saol crua a bhí ag Séan agus a bhean nuair a bhí said ina lánúin óg. Conas a chuireann sé é seo in iúl? Bhuel, úsáideann sé caint fhileata chun pictiúir éifeachtach a tharraingt dúinn de shaol na lánúine.
    Ní úsáideann sé an focal saol sa dán ar chor ar bith! Tugann sé “an bóthar sléibhe” air. Meafar is ea é seo agus oibríonn sé go han-mhaith. Cén fáth, meas tú? Bhuel, rud casta crua is ea bóthar sléibhe, agus rud casta crua is ea an saol!
    Chomh maith leis seo ní úsáideann Séan an focal “siúl”. “Ag tuirsiú” a deir sé. (Déanann sé briathar as an bhfocal “tuirse”) Caint fhileata is ea í seo arís agus tá sé an-éifeachtach mar tugann sé blas dúinn den chineál saol a bhí ag Séan ina óige.
    Músclaíonn an dán seo brón agus trua sa léitheoir mar insíonn sé scéal an-truamhéalach. Ach cuireann an dán ag smaoineamh muid faoi shaol an duine freisin.
    Céard atá le foghlaim ón dán seo? Bheul, léiríonn sé dúinn gurb iad an ghrá agus an comhluadar na rud is tábhachtaí sa saol. Is cuma cé chomh mór agus do theach, agus is cuma cé chomh saibhir is atá tú, mura bhfuil grá agus comhluadar agat, ní bheidh tú sona.
    Is léir gur duine grámhar é an file. Is duine díograiseach é freisin mar nuair a bhí sé óg, d’oibrigh sé go dian dícheallach chun saol maith a fháil dá chlann.

Duilleoga ar an Life - Seamus Ó Néill
    Is dán álainn gleoite é seo. Chuir duilleoga ildaite an Fomhair gliondar chroí ar an bhfile nuair a chonaic sé iad ag imeachet le sruth ar abhainn na Life i gceartlár Bhaile Átha Cliath.

Ar lá mar seo d’fhéadfá a rá go mbeadh na sráideanna dubh dorcha duairc ach thug ildaiteachas na duilleoga beocht is beatha is bua arís don chathair is don nádúr. Cuireann sé gliondar chroí is áthas ar an bhfile bheith ag féachaint orthu.
    Sa dara véarsa feictear pictiúir soiléir gléineach anseo de sna duilleoga seo ar na crainn sa samhradh. Arís mothaítear seasamhacht an nadúr ag cothú na beatha anseo. Tá rím deas idir an focal deirneach i líne 2 agus an focal deirneach i líne 4. Tá uaim ann “cuibhreann is coillte”. Chuir na duilleoga seo an file ag smaoineamh. Spreag said é chun dán a chumadh.
    Ar lá le solas íseal mar atá ann inniu tugann na duilleoga seo ardú meanman dó agus iad cosúil le dóchas agus solas an tsamhraidh ag gluaiseacht trí shráideanna dorcha duairc Bhaile Átha Cliath. Is cumhachtach na seoda iad seo ag “iompar na h-áilleachta” trí shráideanna na cathrach. Is féidir beag beann a dhéanamh díobh agus cintíonn an file nach dtarlódh a léithéid anseo leis an dán tíosach speagúil seo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Wow Áine, you've been busy! :eek:

Wow Áine, you've been busy! :eek:

I've had them there for ages but for somereason never put them up but now it's time to get them up with only 3/4 weeks left (:() to get them learned.

All that's left to do is start to study them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Kyromancer

bluejaymraz, thanks for the notes on To Kill A Mockingbird. Do you have any sample answers for a thematic question? It would be much appreciated.

I'll see if I can post up a few sample People In History answers soon...

This is my own answer - I'd appreciate if someone could tell me what grade I'd get for this, and how it could be improved.

People In History - Christoper Columbus.
    Christopher Columbus was an explorer during the Age of Exploration. He was born in Genoa, Italy, and he had a passion for sailing.

Columbus believed the world was flat, and he wanted to sail west to Asia. He was sponsored by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain, after he was turned away by Portugal. He was given three ships - the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. They were caravels, which were clinker-built making them strong enough to sail across the world, and they had square and lateen sails for sailing with and against the wind, respectively. In August 1492, Columbus departed Palos, Spain, before stopping in the Canary Islands to stock up on food and supplies.

Life on board the ships was tough. The sailors got only one hot meal a day, cooked in a firebox. They usually eat ship's biscuit, meat, cheese, dried peas, and fish. The sailors often suffered from scurvy - a gum disease which caused the gums to bleed and rot, resulting from a lack of vitamin C. They used a compass for direction, a quadrant to figure out their latitude, and a log and line to measure their speed.

Columbus kept two logbooks on the voyage - one true logbook for himself, and another "fake" logbook for his crew. His crew were getting worried that they had gone too far and would not find any land, and would not be able to find their way home. Columbus said the birds they saw were a sign that land was close, but he had to promise to return home if they did not find land within a few days.

In October 1492, Columbus landed at San Salvador, in the Bahama Islands. He later went on to explore Hispanolia and Cube. Columbus thought he had discovered Japan, but was surprised not to find any of the great cities that Marco Polo had described.

The Santa Maria ran aground, and the crew used the wood to build a fort - El Navidad. Columbus left forty men at the fort, and returned home to Spain.

He returned to Palos, and later to the court of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella in Barcelona. Columbus had found a new continent, and as a result Spain had become very wealthy, and Columbus was rewarded richly. The voyage also led to the spread of Spanish culture, and Christianity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KarZx

If anyone has any notes of romeo and juliet and Of mice and men would really help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Kyromancer, you'd probably get 16-18/20 for that. You should include a little detail about his reaction when he returned, other voyages, relations with the natives, search for wealth and dying a dissapointed man.

Otherwise, excellent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

one thing kyro.......columbus knew the earth was round he wanted to sail west around the world to asia....if he reckoned the world was flat he wouldnt have sailed west for the fear he would go over the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moi!

Does anyone have any notes on summer of my german soldier??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭mista_2k10

Anyone have any good geography notes or know of a good wesite that does??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

mista_2k10 wrote: »

not great but ok :D

http://www.skoool.ie/homeworkzone_jc.asp?id=2677

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

mista_2k10 wrote: »
    our teacher gave us some good geography notes is there any perticular section your looking for?

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Thanks but ive looked through those before but there a bit too long and complicated :o...

Anro wrote: »
    our teacher gave us some good geography notes is there any perticular section your looking for?
    Well.... pretty much everything but particularly the population section...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Lukeyy

Funeral Blues
    By W.H Auden
    Background:
    This poem was written by W.H Auden in the reaction to the death of a very close friend. The poem is extremely popular and famous. It is often used at funerals and was most famously used in the movie “Four Weddings and a Funeral”.
    One of the characters recited the poem at the funeral of his friend.

Theme:
    Theme of death, the poet describes his reaction to the death of his very close friend. The poet feels that his life is not worth living anymore because of his friends death.
    The stars are not wanted now, put out everyone. For nothing now can come to any good
    The poet wants everything in the world to stop. He orders in the opening stanza that;
    Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone”, “Prevent the dog from barking
    The poet is stunned and deeply shocked by his death. It’s clear that he was very close to his friend.
    He was my North, my South, my East and West
    He is very emotional when he says:
    I thought love would last forever, I was wrong
    Death is viewed very negatively in this poem and the poem suggests that there is no life for those who remain, after the person has died.
    Pack up the moon, and dismantle the sun
    I find the image of death very depressing in this poem, because the poet suggests that there is no hope.

Tone/Mood:
    In the first two stanzas, the poet orders that life should stop. He demands that the clocks, telephone, piano be stopped, so that the coffin and the mourners can come. The poet is very upset and angry in those stanzas.
    Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead scribbling on the sky, the message He Is Dead
    The third stanza of the poem conveys a different tone. The poet is emotionally upset and reveals how deeply he loved his friend.
    He was my North, my South, my East and West
    The tone also reveals the poets bitterness. He thought love would last forever but
    I was wrong
    The poet is in a hopeless and depressed mood in the final stanza. He paints a picture of the world where there are no stars, moon, sun, sea, or land - where there is NOTHING. His despair and deep depression is seen in the final line.
    for nothing now can come to any good
    Structure:
    The poet comprises 4 stanzas with four lines in each one. This combined with the regular end of line rhyme gives the poem a steady rhythm and even structure.

End of Line Rhyme:
    The end of line 1 & 2, line 3 & 4 rhyme in every stanza.
    Telephone/bone, Drum/come, Overheard/dead, Doves/gloves, West/rest, Song/wrong, One/sun, Wood/good.
    I like the rhyme scheme in this poem, and it makes the poem easy to read aloud.

Visual Imagery:
    The poet uses some very striking visual images.
    pack up the moon”, “dismantle the sun”, “policemen wear black cotton gloves

Aural Imagery:
    The imagery in this poem not only appeals to the eye but also to the ear. In stanza one there are many wonderful aural images.
    clocks”, “telephone”, “dog barking”, “ silence the piano”, “muffled drum

Metaphors:
    The poem is also remarkable for its use of striking metaphors. Stanza 3 is most notable, the poet uses series of metaphors to describe the depth of his love for his dead friend.
    He describes his friend as “my working week and my Sunday rest”. I think he is suggesting here that he spent all his time with his friend.
    He also describes him as “my North, my South, my East and West”. This is a very unusual metaphor, again highlighting how much his friend meant to him.
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song

Hope they help :)

1918 - 1933
    Adolf Hitler was born in Austria but moved to Germany to fight for them in WWI . When Germany signed the surrender in 1918, Hitler was in hospital and it angered him greatly. He, like many other Germans disagreed and called the politicians who signed it the November Criminals.
    Germany then was run by a new government called the Weimer Republic. It was very unpopular with the people. Meanwhile, Hitler became leader of the Nazi party. He disagreed with the way the governmentt were running the country so he planned a revolution. This was known as the Munich Putsch. He failed though and he was jailed for 5 months. While in jail, he wrote a book with all his beliefs called Mein Kampf. Some of his beliefs were:
    He hated Jews, and blamed them for all Germany’s problems
    He dispised communism also
    Germany needed lebensraum (living space)
    He believed a group of humans were superior, known as the Aryan race
    In 1929, the Wall St. Crash caused huge problems all over the world. In Germany, unemployment rose from 1,000,000 in 1929 to 6,000,000 in 1932. This put huge pressure on the government and led to lots of people hating them.
    All the time, Hitler’s Nazi party were growing and by 1933 were the biggest party in Germany. Eventually, in 1933, Hitler became Chancellor of Germany. This was the equvilant of being Prime Minister.
    He could now go about implementing his policies in Germany:
    Break up the Treaty of Versailles
    Cleanse the nation of inferior people like the Jewish
    Improve the economy
    Hitler also began to use propaganda to make people believe his ideas.

Not too much his early life really

When You Are Old
    By W.B Yeats
    Themes:
    1. Unrequited Love - Yeats was passionately in love with Maud Gonne, for her beauty and her inner qualities.
    one man loved the pilgrim soul in you
    But she rejected him many times. In this poem, Yeats imagines Maud as an old woman, reflecting back on her life and loves. He hopes that she will realise how much he loved her, he loved her the most - “Sorrow” of her “changing face
    Yeats points out that many men only loved her for her beauty - “false love”.

2. Old Age -Yeats highlights the theme of old age by imagining what Maud will look like
    old”, “grey”, “nodding by the fire
    He imagines that she will be a lonely old woman if she doesn’t accept his love NOW.
    Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled and paced upon the mountains overhead
    Tone/Mood:
    There is a very personal intimate tone in this poem. Yeats adresses Maud as ‘you’ - he is speaking directly to her.
    Loving tone in the poem where Yeats expresses his love for her - “loved the pilgrim soul
    Tone of sadness and loneliness as the old woman reflects on her beauty and youth that has passed.
    Soft look your eyes had once
    Final stanza, the tone is very sad, lonely as the woman realises that love has gone forever, it is now hidden in the mountains & stars. She can see it but never touch it.

Alliteration:
    The use of alliteration, adds to the pace and mood of the poem, making it memorable.
    sleep, soft (Stanza 1)
    glad, grace (Stanza 2)
    bending, beside, bars (Stanza 3)

End of Line Rhyme:
    1st & 4th line and 2nd and 3rd line rhyme in every stanza.

Imagery:
    Images of - Old Age - Old Maud
    - Beauty - Young Maud
    - Fire - Passion

Personification:
    Love is seen as a living person, a man who “hid his face

Across The Barricades
    The novel has an interesting opening. Sadie meets up with Kevin after 3 years. They go for coffee and catch up on the latest news. However, it is not simply a case of 2 old friends meeting up for a chat. Sadie and Kevin live in war torn Belfast and are from opposite ends of the religious divide. Prtestant and Catholic.
    Hints of the conflict are given in the first chapter, description of “burnt cars, buses and armoured vehicles”. Tension on the streets. Our curiosity is arisen because we the readers want to see, if it will get any worse, or if it will affect the lives of Sadie and Kevin.
    Also, in the opening chapter, Kevin and Sadie decide to renew their friendship, there is even a hint of romance. The reader is in SUSPENCE, it is a dangerous relationship, because of their different backgrounds.
    “They were embarking on something dangerous” The reader wants to go on, and find out what happens next, and how the relationship will work out.

Novel Ending:
    After all the trouble, conflicts, Kevin decides to leave Belfast.
    I’ve got to go away, I can’t stay here any longer, I’m sick of bombs
    The reader welcomes his decision, because we feel sorry for him, after all that has happened.
    The ending of the novel is emotional/upsetting in one way, as we see him ‘say farewell’ to all of his family. We wonder will we see them again.
    Brede meets him, and again it is sad to see her saying goodbye to him.
    Well, Kevin, I’ll miss you

The ending works well also, because the final strands of the plot are tied up. Kate Kelly turns up and tells Kevin that “she was sorry”. She admits that she “made a mistake about the box” (of ammunition). Kate reveals that it was Brian Rafferty; who forced her to lie about the box.
    I wouldn’t have told the lie otherwise
    Once more, we the readers, see how horrible Rafferty was and we are happy that Kevin is getting away from him at last.
    It was all of it behind him now, Kate and Brian Rafferty and the beatings up and the bombs

The reader is happily surprised again, on the final page of the novel, when Sadie turns up at the docks. It’s very exciting when she reveals that she is going with Kevin. He isa pleasantly surprised aswell.
    That’s the best news I had in months
    Although the novel contained much suffering, pain and conflict, it has a happy ending. Kevin and Sadie walk hand in hand, to the “while waiting ship”. We feel that they have the chance of a new, trouble-free life, in England.

• Advertisement

Base Details
    By Siegfreid Sassoon
    Theme:
    Anti-war poem. The poet is angry at the officers, (majors, generals, colonels) the higher reanks in the army who had privileged lives,
    guzzling and gulping in the best hotels
    While the young soldiers fought at the front line and lost their lives, in World War 1.
    Reading the roll of honour; poor young chap
    Thousands of young men lost their lives, while the officers,
    Toddle safely home and die - in bed
    Tone/Mood:
    Sassoon is bitter and angry at the officers. He mocks them, their appearance.
    fat”, “bald”, “short of breath”, “puffy petulant faces
    The tone is extremely ironic. He speaks in the tone of an army major, or pretending he wants to be one. This allows him to show us what the army majors are like.
    speed glum heroes up the line to death

Pun:
    ‘Base’ Details. There is a pun on the word, ‘Base’. Base can mean ‘army base’, ‘headquarters’ or base also refers to something that is inferior, unworthy, low standard. Sassoon is suggesting that the army majors are base, base in character, unworthy people.

Rhyme:
    Regular end of line rhyme pattern. Every second line rhymes - breath/death, base/face, dead/bed, chap/scrap.
    Rhyme adds to the meaning of the poem.

Alliteration:
    R
    eading/Roll/ - rolling sound - indicates all who died in the war.

Onomatopoeia:
    guzzling”, “gulping” indicates that the officers are only interested in drinking, only having a good time.

Imagery:
    Unattractive visual images
    of the majors.
    scarlet majors”, “puffy petulant face

This is info on cloths of heaven by w.b yeats followed by a compare and contrast between cloths of heaven and when u are old both by w.b yeats

The Cloths Of Heaven
    By W.B Yeats

Theme:
    In this short sweet lyric poem, the poet W.B Yeats expresses his deep love for Maud Gonne. Yeats fell madly in love with Maud Gonne, and he was in love with her, all his life. However, it was not a happy love story for Yeats.
    In this beautiful poem, Yeats points out that if he had all the riches (money) in the world
    Had I the heaven’s embroidered cloths
    He would give them to her, because he loves her so much.
    I would spread the cloths under your feet
    However, Yeats points out to his beloved that he is just a poor poet, who does not have any material wealth.
    But I being poor
    Because he is not rich, he offers to give her, his dreams instead.
    Have only my dreams
    In many ways, giving her his dreams,
    I have spread my dreams under your feet
    Is far more significant, more important than giving her material wealth, or gifts. In giving her his dreams, he is giving her a very IMPORTANT PART OF HIMSELF. Therefore, he is showing how much in love she is.
    I have spread my dreams under your feet
    I think it is more important that Yeats is prepared to give his most important wishes, hopes(dreams) to Maud Gonne.
    It is worth noting that W.B Yeats is also afraid that Maud Gonne may hurt him, or reject his offer.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
    He warns her to treat him, and his dreams with care, because he realises she has the power to hurt him.
    This is interesting because we know that Maud Gonne did not return Yeats’ love. She did not feel the same way about him.
    This is called UNREQUITED LOVE (one person doesn’t return the love). Perhaps Yeats was aware of this, when he wrote this love poem.
    In the last line of the poem, he is not very confident about this love.
    Tone/Mood:
    The poem is very emotional and Yeats expresses his love.
    At the opening of this short lyric, Yeats is in a wishful mood. He wishes (hopes) that he had the ‘heaven’s embroidered’ cloth.
    His tone changes to one of acceptance, when he realises that he is “only poor” and could never afford to give her anything expensive.
    But I being poor
    The poet is in a very loving/romantic mood when he offers to
    Spread my dreams under your feet
    His tone dramatically changes again in the final line, when he becomes afraid, insecure, and warns her, not to treat him badly.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
    He accepts that he is very much in love but that she can hurt him.
    Metaphor:
    The title of this poem, and indeed the image of “heaven’s embroidered cloths” is a metaphor for the wealth, material riches of this world, money, gifts.
    Extended Metaphor:
    The metaphor of the cloths is spread throughout the poem.
    Line 1 - “cloths
    Line 3 - “dark cloths
    Line 5 - “spread the cloths
    Line 7 - “spread my dreams
    Visual Imagery:
    The poem is rich in vibrant visual imagery. The poet creates a beautiful vivid picture of the “embroidered cloths
    He uses colour, light and shade to suggest its brilliance. He refers to;
    golden and silver light
    blue, dim, dark cloths
    night, light, half-light
    End Of Line Rhyme:
    The poet creates a very effective and striking end of line rhyme with repetition of the SAME WORDS at the end of the lines
    Line 1 & 3 - “cloths
    Line 2 & 4 - “lights
    Line 5 & 7 - “feet
    Line 6 & 8 - “dreams

Internal Rhyme:
    The poet uses internal rhyme and assonance (vowel rhyme) very strikingly in the line,
    Of night, light, and the half light

Run On Lines:
    Line 3 runs very effectively into line 4.

Alliteration:
    dim” “dark” (D sound)
    softly” “dreams” (S sound)

Assonance:
    There is a dominant use of a broad ‘o’ sound throughout the poem.
    cloths” “of” “poor” “only” “softly
    This slows down the rhythm of the poem.
    Also ‘I’ sounds - “night” “light” “I

He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven
    Compare and Contrast
    When You Are Old
    The Cloths Of Heaven:
    In this poem W.B Yeats is expressing his love for Maud Gonne.
    He wishes he had all the riches in the world.
    Had I the heavens embroidered cloths
    To share with her, so that he could show her how much he loved her. He basically wishes for a piece of heaven, something that no one else could ever give her, to make her realise he would do anything to make her love him He wanted to give her something unique and impossible.
    Had I the heavens embroidered cloths
    I would spread the cloths under your feet
    However, Yeats is only poor and doesn’t have much to offer.
    But I being poor
    What he is offering is his dreams, which may not be all the riches or “heaven’s embroidered cloths” but they are special to him and it is a very personal and hard thing to do, offering someone your dreams.
    I have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams

When You Are Old:
    In ‘The Cloths Of Heaven’ the theme is offering her all he has, and showing his love for her.
    In ‘When You Are Old’ the theme is different. Yeats seems a lot more bitter towards Maud. In my opinion, ‘The Cloths Of Heaven’ shows Yeats offering himself to Maud, in a hope that she will accept him. He warns her not to hurt him “Tread softly” in ‘When You Are Old’ Yeats has no more hope of Maud accepting him, he is not offering himself anymore now. He is now trying to make her realise that what she has done is a big mistake and he warns that she will regret rejecting him.
    Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
    And paced upon the mountains overhead
    And hid his face, amid a crowd of stars
    He is saying because she has rejected him, when she is old, by the time she regrets it, Love will have already passed and it will be unreachable.
    “And hid his face amid a crowd of stars”
    The stars are unreachable.

In ‘Cloths Of Heaven’ the main theme is Love, but in ‘When You Are Old’ the main theme is Unrequited Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Any chance of some spanish notes about the different tenses? it seems to be only french here.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AtomicDictator

Here are some helpful German notes which seem to be missing from the thread (:

Useful Verbs
    german10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AtomicDictator

Meine Schule
    Meine schule heist _____ ==>My school is called ______
    Es ist eine Gesamtschule ==>It is a comprehensive school
    Es ist eine gemischte Schule mit ungefahr (X) Schülern und (Y) Lehrerin ==> It is a mixed school with about (X number of) pupils and (Y number of) teachers.
    Die Schule beginnt um funf vor neun täglich ==> The school begins at around 5 to 9 daily
    Die erste Stunde beginnt um neun Uhr ==>The first period begins at 9 o’clock
    Eine Stunde dauert vierzig minuten ==> A class lasts 40 minutes
    Ich become immer schlecht/gute Noten ==> I get terrible/good grades (test scores)
    Mein Lieblingsfach ist ____ ==> My favourite subject is _____
    Ich finde die Uniform furchtbar ==> I find the uniform horrible
    Es ist unbequem und altmodisch ==> It is uncomfortable and old-fashioned
    Wir tragen ein Uniform ==> We wear a uniform
    Wir haben zwei Pauzen täglich ==> We have two breaks every day
    Die erste Pauze dauert 15 Minuten und die zweite Pauze dauert 30 Minuten ==> The first break lasts 15 minutes and the second break lasts 30 minutes.

Fächer (Subjects)
    Irisch ==> Irish
    Englisch ==> English
    Geschichte ==> History
    Erdkunde ==> Geography
    Mathematik ==> Maths
    Naturnwischenschaften ==> Science (All three sciences)
    Deutsch ==> German
    Technikal Graphik ==> Technical Graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

Okay here is some geography notes on population

Demography is the sudy of population.

1 Population density
    this is the number of people per square kilometer. It is an average figure.

2 Population distribution
    This is the way that population is spread out accross the land. It can be evenly or unevenly spread. e.g the population in Ireland is uneven, the west have few people and dublin has a very high population.

3 Population Patterns
    The are the order or shape the population makes. There are three basic patterns.
    (a) nucleated or clustered.
    This is where people live in one area e.g towns are a nucleated settlement.
    nucleated.jpg
    (b) Linear or ribboned
    This is where people live in a line along the side of a road or a river e.g. the river Rhine has lead a linear pattern of cities along its banks.
    linear.jpg

(c) Dispersed
    This is tipical of rural farming areas where people are spread over a wide area e.g. Rural Leitrim
    dispersed.jpg

How does the population grow?
    More babies born than people dieing causes the population to grow it is called natural change.

what effects the total population in an area?
    Migration
    This changes the distribution of world population. Mirgration causes an increase of population in countries where people go to. e.g Ireland. However Migration does not effect world population

What is birth rate?

This is when we count live births per thousand per year. So if there were 20 births per thousand people it would be 2% (20/1000 = 2/100 = 2%)

What is death rate?
    It is counting the number of deaths per thousand per year. e.g 10 deaths per thousand (10/1000 = 1/100 = 1%)

How do I get natural change?
    I subtract the deaths from the births. If there are more births we have a natural increase but if there are more deaths we have a natural decrease.

Population growth

Population Growth is not the same throughout the world. First world countries like Germany and France have negative growth were as third world countries like India and Brazil have a Population explosion.

Why are there large pupulation in the worlds poorest counties?
    Modern Medicine like vaccinations have helped lower the death rate
    Clean Water By sinking a well in a village which provides clean water can have a dramatic effect on the death rate. The biggest killer of babies in the third world today is dehydration from diarrhoea.

What are the stages of Population growth?
    This is the predictable changes that the population of a country will go through:
    1 High stationary stage
    Birth and death rates are high little change in population. Third world.
    2 Early expanding stage
    Birth rate remains high and the death rate falls rapidly. Developing world.Population explosion occurs here.
    3 Late expanding stage
    The death rate remains low. Birth rate falls rapidly, population growth begins to slow down.
    4 Low stationary stage
    The birth rate remains low, death rate is still very low, low population growth.
    5 Senile stage
    Birth rate falls below death rate. Population decrease. e.g. Germany
    g427.gif
    (sorry couldn't find graph with senile stage)

I have some more notes to do with why some areas have high or low population that i can get for you but that is most of my population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Any chance of notes on industrial revolution, for Q5 on history paper?

Those are great geography notes...... thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Just a few notes our teacher gave us for unseen poetry and prose. She said we can have answers actually prepared before we go in, even if we can't understand the poem. For example, if a question says "Do you like this poem? Why/why not?" You can have an answer prepared saying you like the poets style/use of personification/metaphors etc. :D

Irish Prose and Poetry notes:

IRISH
    ENGLISH
    Is é mo thuairim
    In my opinion
    Feictear dom
    It seems to me
    I dtús báire
    Firstly
    Tagaim
    I agree with
    Ceapaim
    I think
    Is cosúil go bhfuil an dán seo
    It seems that the poem is
    Ar an taobh eile
    On the other hand
    Ar chuma ar bith
    Anyway
    Ar ndóigh
    Of course
    Go háirthe
    Especially
    Go bhfios dom
    As far as I know
    Is bocht an scéal é
    It’s a sad story
    Is beag é mo mheas air
    I don’t think much of it
    Tá a fhios ag an saol
    Everybody knows
    Ar deireadh thiar
    Finally
    Dar leis an ___
    According to the ___
    Ní bhíonn in aon rud ach seal
    Nothing lasts forever
    Sa chéad/dara/triú alt
    In the first/second/third paragraph
    Léiríonn an t-údar dúinn
    The author shows us
    Creideann sé/sí
    He/she believes that
    Luann an scríbhneoir
    The writer mentions
    Déanann an t-údar cur síos ar
    The author describes
    Tá go leor fianaise sa sliocht
    There is plenty of evidence in the passage
    Mar gheall ar
    About
    Is féidir leat ionannú leis an pearsa
    You can identify with the character
    Tréithe na phearsanna
    Traits of the characters
    Amadán
    Fool
    Cancrán
    Cranky
    Slíbhín
    Sly person
    Meatachán
    Coward
    Teideal an dáin
    Title of the poem
    Téama an dáin
    Theme of the poem
    Sa chéad/dara/tríú véarsa
    In the 1st/2nd/3rd verse
    Stíl an fhile
    Style of the poet
    Casta
    Complicated
    Corraitheach
    Exciting
    Cumhactach
    Powerful
    Dearfach
    Positive
    Diúltach
    Negative
    Dramatúil
    Dramatic
    Éifeachtach
    Effective
    Dea-scríofa
    Well-written
    Gruama
    Gloomy
    Maoithneach
    Sentimental
    Nua-aimseartha
    Modern
    Readúil
    Realistic
    Seanfhaiseanta
    Old fashioned
    Lúcháir
    Joy
    Teannas
    Tension
    Naire
    Embarrassment
    Trua
    Pity
    Is breá liom an cur síos ar …
    I love the description of...
    Tá an file ag caint faoi
    The poet is talking about
    Luann an file
    The poet mentions
    Thaitin an dán seo go mór liom
    I really liked the poem
    Áibhéil
    Exaggeration
    meafar
    metaphor
    Pearsantú
    personification
    Blas an dáin
    tone of the poem
    :D

• Advertisement

DKZ wrote: »
    Kyromancer, you'd probably get 16-18/20 for that. You should include a little detail about his reaction when he returned, other voyages, relations with the natives, search for wealth and dying a dissapointed man.

Otherwise, excellent! :D

Cheers! That's good enough for me for my Summer Tests, but I'll see if I can improve it for next year.
    one thing kyro.......columbus knew the earth was round he wanted to sail west around the world to asia....if he reckoned the world was flat he wouldnt have sailed west for the fear he would go over the edge.

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. It was just a typo, thanks.

Advertisement