Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IOL Email Password Reset

• 24-02-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi
    Hope someone can help.

I have been using an @iol.ie email account for a long, long time. However, I cannot remember my password as it was saved into Outlook and I haven't needed to enter it for years now. Can anyone tell me where to go to reset the password?

The links on the page webmail.iol.ie don't work. They just bring you to error pages with more broken links.

Cheers,
    Mack

p.s.
    I know I should move to gmail but it would be a pain to move everything especially if I can't login to iol and setup forwarding.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

What version of Outlook are you using?>

You can prob pull the password out of the config or reg,

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mack10

Seriously? That doesn't sound very secure.

I'm actually using Windows Mail but was on outlook express prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

What version of Outlook are you using?>

You can prob pull the password out of the config or reg,

Even though you can export your emails and contacts from outlook. One thing I dont believe you can do is export the account password. Unfortunatley I have no idea how you are able to recover the password because if you click on this link and select forgot password the page is not displayed.
    As IOL is now under BT you could try BT Ireland Tech support on1890923111. But then BT is now under Vodafone......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

xsiborg wrote: »

Worked fine for my Outlook 2007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 qwertyTRiG

mack10 wrote: »
    I know I should move to gmail but it would be a pain to move everything especially if I can't login to iol and setup forwarding.
    When you do move to Gmail, do what I did and continue to use IOL address: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055840316.

TRiG.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mack10

Thanks xsiborg that worked perfectly.

But it also begs the question....how come passwords can be hacked so easily? Surely they should encrypt the passwords in a responsible manner.

p.s.
    I retrieved my password and logged into iol webmail account but nowhere in there does it offer you the function of changing the password. Time to move out of the dark ages....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DrainBamaged

Ok so I'm in a similar situation except I may not be able to get access to the machine which had the outlook I used on it.

Anyone any clue who I could waste some time calling to try and recover the password? It was momentous to me that I could still even remember the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Just an update
    i ran this but my AV detected a threat

Turned off the AV and it worked, now i must scan my computer

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

mack10 wrote: »
    But it also begs the question....how come passwords can be hacked so easily? Surely they should encrypt the passwords in a responsible manner.

The way this is usually implemented means that the computer needs to be able to get at the password in order to log in to the account. So, even if it was encrypted on the disk the computer would need to have all the information required to decrypt the password, which means another application could just use the same information and decrypt the password itself. A master password is a common solution to this, where your computer will require a single password from you in order to decrypt the file where it stores all of your other passwords.
    Enright wrote: »
    Just an update

thanks

I wouldn't be overly worried about this. The AV is probably just noting an application trying to access "sensitive" files on your computer. NirSoft used to track this but it looks like they gave up due to the volume: http://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html

• Advertisement

Enright wrote: »
    Just an update

thanks
    Zab wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly worried about this. The AV is probably just noting an application trying to access "sensitive" files on your computer. NirSoft used to track this but it looks like they gave up due to the volume: http://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html

Yep. Don't worry about this. Anti-virus software detect a lot of the NirSoft utilities as malicious because they could be used to steal passwords or product keys, but the software doesn't contain any malicious code.

Advertisement