Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maybefriends.com - anyone use it?!

• 13-04-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi ladies,
    So I'm single and sick of it!!
    Haven't even met a guy I've liked in months........ Most of my friends are coupled up and one is even getting married this year!!
    I would love to even go on a few dates, not obsessed with finding the one (I'm only 28) but need a little excitement in my life!
    I am going speed dating in the new next few weeks but as I sit here on a bank hol afternoon googling everything that pops into my head I have "stumbled" across maybefriends.com and decided to join for the craic!... The problem is I'm at the "blurb" part & have no idea what to write.............. Anyone got any advice?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I'm a member of AnotherFriend which I think is by the same company, I'm too mean to pay the membership fee though so cant arrange to meet anyone or swap any cotact details.
    Theres a good free site called Lonely.ie which doesnt have any membership fees and the meets that are arranged on AntherFriend are posted on Lonely also. Theres one in Limerick in two weeks time.
    I'm a member since Christmas and have been asked out a good few times, only agreed to one today. About time for me.
    As for the blurb I left mine basically blank adn nosed around others to see what they had to say - you can usually go back and edit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Thanks birdie. Yeh I put in 1 line & said I'd go back to that part!!
    Think you have to pay to actually do pretty much everything but don't know if Ill bother..........
    Will think about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 JackieT

hiya! I was working on the development of a dating site last year, many pay sites are a bit of a scam i think. You can try plentyoffish.com, it's run by a nice geeky canadian fella and seems really popular.

Personally I think it would be a good thing to stand out from the crowd, so if your passion in life is to dance polka or play some computer game 2h/day, do mention it in your profile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I know a few people that had luck on plentyoffish.com and connectingsingles.com, they're both free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

something different but similar might be that dinetomeetyou.ie or .com not sure which. i think they also have a piece related to readtomeetyou or something to that effect. never tried it happy out in my own little world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stylist

hi all,

does anyone know if anotherfriend (another friend) and maybefriends are really the same company??

regards, stylist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 syncrosystem

stylist wrote: »
    hi all,

does anyone know if anotherfriend (another friend) and maybefriends are really the same company??

AnotherFriend and Maybefriends are different companies. They are competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I know a couple that met through it. Maybefriends.ie

She is a stunner a real model type, and he is a fine bit of stuff too. They are both professionals.

We were only talking about it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Quality...why wouldn't there be woman who are stunning or men who are professional on a dating site...its p**** me off a but the predjess people have about dating sites...i met my partner on a dating site ...there are all sorts of people on dating.....reminds me of something a friend of mine said ....she meet a very good looking and very wealthy man on a dating site, anyway she said to me imagain a man like him being on a dating site ...i said to her your on a dating!! she laughs when she realised what she was saying ....my friend was seeing that guy for a long time it only ended when she wouldn't move to the ballygobackward village he live in and he wouldn't move to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

mariaalice wrote: »
    Quality...why wouldn't there be woman who are stunning or men who are professional on a dating site...its p**** me off a but the predjess people have about dating sites...i met my partner on a dating site ...there are all sorts of people on dating.....reminds me of something a friend of mine said ....she meet a very good looking and very wealthy man on a dating site, anyway she said to me imagain a man like him being on a dating site ...i said to her your on a dating!! she laughs when she realised what she was saying ....my friend was seeing that guy for a long time it only ended when she wouldn't move to the ballygobackward village he live in and he wouldn't move to Dublin

I wouldn't call it prejudiced in my case. I would call it my ignorance. I always assumed dating websites were for married men looking to hook up with vulnerable women.

But I have been proved wrong. My Bad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

AnotherFriend and Maybefriends are different companies. They are competitors

anotherfriend is bigger and more impersonal than maybefriends. anotherfriend used to have a very conspicuous link to an adult dating site which put me off.

Maybefriends is smaller and run by a very nice woman called Jill. There are people of all ages on it and the crowd is generally sound. I'm thinking of going back on it again for the crack.

There's another dating site called getout which caters purely for the 20-35 age group, well women 20-35 and fellas up to 40ish. It doesn't cater for anyone over that age so you shouldn't get oulfellas of 60 sending you mails! I'd recommend it for a 28 year old - it's got speed dating, walks and a a regular dating site, the focus is on having a bit of crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Yeah I've heard of that get out site. I think it can be more of a group thing too so if you're worried about starting on a one to one date thing you could go to one of their group meet ups and meet a gang of people instead of just one so even if you don't click with anyone you could still have a good day/night out with some nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭sporina

signed up on one last nite and got a few messages from lads who I have to say I would have no interest in meeting. So me being a softie I do not want to hurt them so how do I say so. Or should I just ignore them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

Emme wrote: »

There's another dating site called getout which caters purely for the 20-35 age group, well women 20-35 and fellas up to 40ish.

Why do they allow men up to 40, but not women??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

sporina wrote: »
    signed up on one last nite and got a few messages from lads who I have to say I would have no interest in meeting. So me being a softie I do not want to hurt them so how do I say so. Or should I just ignore them?
    Ignore them. I was like you at the start, was nice in a thanks but no thanks kind of way but believe me you'll end up getting hundreds of messages (at least), it's hard to reply to everyone. Plus some of them can get really annoyed when you politely decline them and get quite nasty so it's easier to just not reply if you're not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭sporina

Corb wrote: »
    Ignore them. I was like you at the start, was nice in a thanks but no thanks kind of way but believe me you'll end up getting hundreds of messages (at least), it's hard to reply to everyone. Plus some of them can get really annoyed when you politely decline them and get quite nasty so it's easier to just not reply if you're not interested.

think i'll just ignore them. changes the meaning or no news is good news...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭unichick

My sister used maybe friends and met a few decent guys out of it. However she met her husband at a singles night in the end. Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

i met my fiance on datinginireland.com
    it says you can join for free but i think you have to pay a small fee to be able to reply or send a message (its not expensive). I think paying for the service is good from the point of view that you know that the other people paying for it are as serious as you are about finding someone (thats not to say that there are no jerks out there but people are less likely to take something serious if they dont have to pay for it)

i was turned off at the start because i met a couple of men who for example one was a lot older than his photo (i was 22 at the time and was meeting someone who said he was 30 but actually was more 45 and looked like my dad) and another seemed to only want sex (he actually asked me outright "what would you say if i asked you back to my place for sex right now?" and i said "id tell you to **** off" and then he had to go to the toilet to ring his friend and ask them to give him the emergency call so he could leave the date immediately)

it was dis-heartening at the time because i just wanted to meet someone nice with whom i could enjoy company so i left it (i dont drink or go out to typical social events where one would usually meet someone- plus i dont have a large circle of friends especially at my age when most of my age are out drinking and partying)

but my mind kept coming back to the website. i really felt that i hadnt given it a good go and i think i intuitively knew that there was someone there for me (i know it sounds mad but despite my negative experience i couldnt get it out of my mind)

so i went back on it and this time i changed my profile. I wrote honestly about myself being quite honest and straight to the point, in a sense. for example in my last profile i said "i dont drink or enjoy pubs" yet i still had people emailing asking to meet for a drink. so this time i wrote "i dont do pubs or clubs so if this is your social scene then there is no point in contacting me" or something like that.
    I also specifically went through what i do want and dont want in a man. i sounded like a real "assertive bitch" but tbh im a very "straight to the point" kind of person so i wanted to make sure that i only attracted men who appreciated that way.

Surprisingly, i actually had alot more emails coming in but this time, instead of "giving everyone a chance", i went into their profile and if i didnt like what i read i just didnt reply (i.e smoker/party guy/over the top description such as "i totally live life to the max")

One day i had an email saying "easygoing eccentric has listed you as a favourite" so i went into his profile and i couldnt believe it but he had pretty much written the same as me- the same style, the same topic, the same hobbies/interests etc so i emailed him (the only person i ever emailed) and so the banter back and forth started... we met a week later and i couldnt believe my body's reaction when i met him (it was like a whirlwind inside my stomach)... we both just fell for each other right away. we met every 2nd day in the first week (even though we had originally arranged to meet the next week) and within 3 months we moved in together, a year later he proposed and here we are now, 3 years on still madly in love. i like to say that we're just best friends living together who also have great sex cos I feel our relationship is beyond the stereotypical romance. We both promised, very early on, never to play games- to just say it as it is. if im insecure-i just say it, if im jealous-i just say it, if he's wrecking my head- i just say it and he does the same to me...

if i can give any advice i would say:

1. Dont feel like you have to reply to everyone- if someone doesnt spark an interest in you then dont feel like you have reply. keep in mind that it is very likely that they have emailed about 10 other women and are probobly already smsing a few others or arranging dates etc
    2. Dont spend too long emailing/smsing. its very easy to fall for someone over the internet because they have their persona and you have yours. meet them after about a week or two (in a public place) and then decide whether you like them or not. Bear in mind that there are a few "predators" (male and female) out there just looking for sex.
    3. be honest. and be honest with yourself. dont make out a profile based on what you think people want to hear or even worse, what you think you are. there is no point in attracting someone who expects you to be a "happy-go-lucky kinda gal" when you are working in a stressful environment and take alot of time to calm down after work etc etc... sit down and ask yourself who you are, what you like, what you dont like etc
    4. photo: put an up to date photo of yourself- there is no point in picking the most gorgeous picture of yourself when you were at a wedding 10 years ago. its very dissapointing to meet someone who doesnt look like what you were told. in fact, its pleasantly surprising when the person looks so much better than the photo. when asked about your height/weight/hair colour- be honest. if you are curvy or cuddly bear in mind that there actually are men out there that like that. there are men out there who are not looking for barbie but they are looking for brains...
    5. list your hobbies- if you are active and sporty then it might be nice to meet for a walk. if you love the pub scene, then meet in your favourite pub. you are better off introducing him to your hobbies early on so that you and he knows if you will enjoy each others company in the long run. imagine if you love the cinema but he hates it, or you love walking but he's a couch potato...

i think thats all i have for now but if anyone would like to ask me any more questions or would like helping writing a profile then let me know... just PM me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Emme wrote: »
    anotherfriend is bigger and more impersonal than maybefriends. anotherfriend used to have a very conspicuous link to an adult dating site which put me off.

Maybefriends is smaller and run by a very nice woman called Jill

Nice my arse..she's money mad and has bumped the price of the membership up to something like 22.95 a month which is outrageous.
    The reason maybefriends is smaller is because people are defecting in droves to anotherfriend which you dont need to pay for to send or receive messages.
    She could give less of a shiite about her members and from what i hear the chat facility is nearly always broken..no doubt she'll bang the price up again soon...she even tried to charge something like 30 quid a head to a halloween ball..people quite rightly didnt pay it.
    I wouldnt touch maybefriends with a bargepole because of that woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 funandfit54

ladies if you are new to dating sites start with reading warnings about scammers
    and take the info Seriously
    i met my scammer on anotherfriend.ie and he was premium plus member. My scammer has left the site but is back now with 4 new different profiles. I informed af.ie but his profiles are still there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK good advice re internet safety and scammers, but this is a really old Zombie thread so closed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement