Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliced my finger with a mandolin slicer -Help !

• 12-07-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

Lobbed a slice off my thumb 3 hours ago, I eventually managed to stop the bleeding by throwing flour on it (found the tip online). The flour really worked but what do I do now ? If I try and wash the HUGE cut it will start to bleed again. Help please !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Do the same for the other one to balance things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Go to hospital if it's that bad, you might need stitches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Have you got the bit you cut off? Or is it in a salad?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,179 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sliced a finger really badly.

Time to call an ambulance.....but I'll just post a thread on boards first

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Doctor Doctor I sliced off a piece of my thumb?

Doctor: Good thing you came to see me instead of consulting the internet, God knows what kind of crazy thing you would be doing if you had. Let me stitch that up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

If it's clean then don't wash it yet. The blood loss will have likely washed out most of the crap.
    Oh and go to a hospital and get it seen to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭TheBody

You better insert your thumb in your rectum to keep it protected until you get to a hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Superglue is your friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Stick it up yer bum OP.

Ooh are they the ones they were selling today in aldi? Are they good? Did you buy the potato ricer aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

If you tried playing the mandolin instead of using it to cut vegetables you wouldn't be in this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Can you play the mandolin OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

what you shhould have done is put the loose flap of skin back over the wound and then wrapped it tightly and hold the thumb above shoulder level and got to a doctor. now you are going to lose the finger to flesh eating bacteria that live in the flour or die.

sorry op. hope its a nice funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

hmmm....if there's actually a slice missing then it can't be stitched.

(I know this because I once ruined a lovely Caesar salad).

You will however need something to stop the bleeding. (I got something that looked like little white plastic cubes that somehow dissolved under the bandage and stopped the bleeding).

Alternatively : Superglue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

It doesn't need stitching, I am not going to spend hours and hours at A & E just for them to tell me the same thing. It has stopped bleeding, I just want to know if I should try and clean the cut before I get the paper stitches and bandages.

notnumber wrote: »
    Superglue is your friend!

epibond would be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

vinegar...it helps bond the skin together..the more vinegar the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Ooh are they the ones they were selling today in aldi? Are they good? Did you buy the potato ricer aswell?
    Still giggling at this..:D

jos28 wrote: »
    It doesn't need stitching, I am not going to spend hours and hours at A & E just for them to tell me the same thing. It has stopped bleeding, I just want to know if I should try and clean the cut before I get the paper stitches and bandages.

ofcourse you should bloody clean it. disinfect it and get some uhu at it and cover it up well.

• Sprinkle salt liberally on the wound, leave it to settle for 5 minutes and then splash 7up or fizzy water on it. It will heal right before your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I hope the slice of your thumb aint in the grub for dinner..

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Ooh are they the ones they were selling today in aldi? Are they good?

It would appear so.

OP go to hospital please, seriously. If only to undo the damage you just did to yourself by asking for medical advice on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Any sensation loss around the affected area? Should probably go to hospital to have it checked out. From personal experience, the smallest infection can lead to serious consequences. (I've seen a paper cut in the web space beside the baby finger lead to an amputation of the finger.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

bryaner wrote: »
    I hope the slice of your thumb aint in the grub for dinner..

Nah, that went in the bin, I was surprisingly not hungry after it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Just walk around with it dripping blood everywhere so's everyone sees you have a nasty cut. Smear blood all over your face and arms, down your trousers and across your shirt. Then walk out where a Health and Safety inspector can't help but notice you in your exagerated bloody state. That's what most of the muppets who work for me do when they nick themselves. Then some poor sod will have to drive you to the A&E, spend half the day there with you and spend the other half filing out pointless accident report forms. That or put on a plaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No stitch it and bandage it while it's covered in flour. very hygienic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Seeing as you've sliced it and battered it you may as well deep fry it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Clean the wound with fresh lemon juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Clean the wound with fresh lemon juice.

Lemon juice, vinegar and salt and rub it in well with a used brillo pad. Sort that cut right out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Lobbed a slice off my thumb 3 hours ago, I eventually managed to stop the bleeding by throwing flour on it (found the tip online). The flour really worked but what do I do now ? If I try and wash the HUGE cut it will start to bleed again. Help please !!

A&E.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement