Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Natural Deodorant?

• 26-12-2011 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Is their such a thing? One without butane, propane or whatever they put in them nowadays and that actually works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Email these guys:
    http://www.earthsong.ie/
    I spent some time with them a while back and they have all manner of remedies for all manner of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

The problem with deodorant is they contain Aluminium of a sort, and this is the dangerous part, but it's the aluminium is what stops you sweating. I've tried many aluminium free products but none of them worked.

I can't see how there could be a natural deodorant, because it's natural to allow ourselves to sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Showering.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is the OP looking for a deodarant or an anti perspirant? You could try a roll on for either

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Also try Tom of Maine's stuff, I'm ferociously allergic to alcohol, parabens etc. and it works ok, its a deodorant so it works on killing/stopping the bacteria from smelling.

The other option then is a crystal salt, they work pretty good too in my experience. Don't drop it though! It'll smash into twenty million bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I can't see how there could be a natural deodorant, because it's natural to allow ourselves to sweat.

Doesn't a deodorant just prevent a bad smell? Whereas an anti-perspirant actually prevents sweating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Doesn't a deodorant just prevent a bad smell? Whereas an anti-perspirant actually prevents sweating.

so a deodorant doesn't stop you sweating, but just puts a nice smell on your sweat?? how would it do that? you can't cover up the smell of sweat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

so a deodorant doesn't stop you sweating, but just puts a nice smell on your sweat?? how would it do that? you can't cover up the smell of sweat

there's a reason they are called a shower in a bottle, no it just masks it, rank really :o

frequent showering and natural man smell ftw \o and a bit of aftershave when going out out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Magic :pac:

Like Saila says, it just masks the smell. My dear friend Google led me to this....
    Deodorants can be used under the arm or all over the body (as bodysprays) to control body odour. Deodorants use ingredients such as alcohol and antimicrobials to kill bacteria and include fragrance to mask bad smells.
    http://www.thefactsabout.co.uk/content.asp?menuid=25&submenuid=102&pageid=102&menuname=How+do+deodorants+work%3F&menu=sub
    Are deodorants and antiperspirants safe?

The safety of antiperspirants has been raised several times, either saying that the blockage of sweat ducts leads to a "build up of toxins" or that aluminium itself is dangerous to use in this type of product.

In the first case, we do not excrete toxins through our sweat ducts but, predominantly, through the liver and kidneys and into the urine or faeces. If toxins were eliminated in sweat, people living in cold climates could be at a distinct disadvantage. Underarm sweat is only a small proportion of the total sweat lost through the skin each day that we are not normally aware of.

Aluminium is the third most abundant element in the earth and it is found naturally in our food and drinking water as well as in some pharmaceutical products. The overwhelming mass of safety data available does not indicate any risk of harmful effects from using any cosmetic products that contain aluminium.

A number of leading cancer research organisations have stated there is no plausible biological mechanism by which antiperspirants could cause breast cancer. Indeed in the past, national cancer charities and other authorities (including Breakthrough Breast Cancer and Cancer Research UK) have seen false allegations as detracting from the search for the true causative factors or as diverting attention away from taking action on those factors known to be associated with a risk of breast cancer.

• A fun thing to remember is that sweat does not smell, its stagnant sweat where bacteria have eaten it and given off their own version of "poo" that smells. So one of the easy solutions to body odour is to KEEP sweating so it never gets a chance to smell.

But since staying active enough to never give the bacteria a chance is not an option for most of us I have to admit I have never been great at fighting it off either. But a few gay friends of mine keep recommending the same product. I can not remember what it is called right now but they all keep talking about "rock salt" when they mention it. So maybe someone here knows what this means or what product they mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

use this stuff, ex bought it for me one time but dont know where she got it and wont ask
    http://www.thecrystal.com/
    seems to work for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The benefits of having a bit of mild poison under the armpits far outweigh the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sharrow wrote: »

Those are horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MartyMcDoodle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

'salt of the earth' spray deodorant, you can buy it in Holland & Barrett. no aluminum, chlorohydrate, paragons or alcohol. doesn't leave white marks on your cloths like lynx does afterwards

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1824&prodid=1974&cid=87&sid=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Domitius Felix Invictus Aurelianus

Is their such a thing? One without butane, propane or whatever they put in them nowadays and that actually works?

Soda Bread

im not joking, its also better for you when brusing ur teeth as them toothpastes have the same crap in them as deodorants do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

lynx deodorant has no aluminium in it. its anti perspirant does.
    Saila wrote:
    there's a reason they are called a shower in a bottle, no it just masks it, rank really

If you shower in the morning a spray of deodorant will effectively mask the smell of normal sweating fine til that evening. Don't see how that's rank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 beachpebble

got a great Deodorant stick from France its made of Alum Crystals, all natural. I think Osma Laboratories make it.

Must wet it to use it but it works fantastic and lasts for ages.

Advertisement