Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car History Check sites

• 05-07-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi, seems like an awful lot of choice and competetion in this sector, anyone got an opinion on which is the best value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I used Motorcheck when I bought my last car. Cant comment on how they are compared to the others but I was happy with the results I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Actually there are really only two main providers in this space. You may think there are more because of the affiliate scheme that Motorcheck offers third party websites. We power 90% of the car history reports that are purchased through online classified sites like cbg, carsireland, buyandsell, gumtree, etc.

Feel free to PM me the registration number you're interested in and I'll run the check for you. Consider it a test drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hi.

Sorry to resurrect this one, but just curious as to how essential it is to get one of these checks done? I'll be getting a mechanic along to take a look at a used car, but what can the history check throw up that's handy to know and that the mechanic wouldn't be able to find?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Old Skool Cars

Hi.

Sorry to resurrect this one, but just curious as to how essential it is to get one of these checks done? I'll be getting a mechanic along to take a look at a used car, but what can the history check throw up that's handy to know and that the mechanic wouldn't be able to find?

outstanding finance - reported stolen - imported - mileage contradictions between the clocks and its history - previous accident or written off history from ireland or the uk - vehicle identification numbers should correspond with registration details on the report - how many uk owners if any should it be an import.....on most cases the reports can be just a "piece of mind" check but it just takes 1 vital contradiction to make them well worth their value and save you a fortune! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Couldn't have said it better myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

previous accident or written off history from ireland
    I wouldn't rely overmuch on this, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Aye considering how often people avoid the insurance and pay costs themselves without reporting an accident, I'd agree :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The question is though, will the level of information that is available for free to UK citizens ever be recieved by us? In the UK, you only have to visit this site to find out if a vehicle is still on the road or whether it has a 'written off' marker set against it: http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

Advertisement