Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3g unlock released, anyone have success with it on irish networks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

yellowsn0w was only released yesterday so i wouldn't think anyone would have tried it on an irish network. ****It is the only hack that will unlock your iPhone 3G****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It was released about an hour ago and it doesn't work on o2 ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

jwcurtin wrote: »
    yellowsn0w was only released yesterday so i wouldn't think anyone would have tried it on an irish network. ****It is the only hack that will unlock your iPhone 3G****

Of course they have, a lot of people have been waiting for this and its only installing one program to get it working.

@lee_baby_simms, have you tried all the tips on the site, i heard it was working on o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 theleague

hi.. i have an o2 pay as u go 3g updated to firmware 2.2 with the newest baseband have tested this one 100% of my foriegn simcard "Smart-philippines" and now using meteor as my roaming account

the only hazzle is it takes around 2mins to get signal from network for every reboot..

coadyj wrote: »
    @lee_baby_simms, have you tried all the tips on the site, i heard it was working on o2

Tried everything. Its seems that the unlock only works on sims that have pin lock disabled.

Is there anyway to disable sim pin on o2 ireland?

• Advertisement

and yes to add.. i need to disable my pin to my foriegn sim card..

to disable ur pin code on ur sim u need to use that sim into another phone that accepts ur simcard and turn it off from there..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tried everything. Its seems that the unlock only works on sims that have pin lock disabled.

Most phones will let you disable the pin for it. Just stick it into another phone and mess about in the settings part.

Most phones will let you disable the pin for it. Just stick it into another phone and mess about in the settings part.

Just did that. Still no joy.

no joy, like u cant disable the pin code or no joy, like it wont work at your iphone to get a signal?

if u can pm me and ill tell u what i did to make my iphone 3g work..

yeah, pop it into another phone and just go to setting and look for sim password.

• Advertisement

theleague wrote: »
    no joy, like u cant disable the pin code or no joy, like it wont work at your iphone to get a signal?

if u can pm me and ill tell u what i did to make my iphone 3g work..

No post detailed steps, would benifit everyone reading

also anyone have any luck with an irish vodafone, that what im waiting for. I read two people on the dev team blog said that it worked for them

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Got this working on Meteor no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'd advise anybody doing this to wait for the next version as this is a beta version.
    Just to see what Apple do to counteract the unlock.

There were a lot of 'Bricked' iphones after the first unlock and i don't know about you but id prefer another test monkey to end up with a €560 paperweight rather than myself.

And on top of that we haven't got the luxury of an Apple store to go crying to if it all goes tits up. Doubt O2 will have any sympathy.

I'd advise anybody doing this to wait for the next version as this is a beta version.
    Just to see what Apple do to counteract the unlock.

There were a lot of 'Bricked' iphones after the first unlock and i don't know about you but id prefer another test monkey to end up with a €560 paperweight rather than myself.

And on top of that we haven't got the luxury of an Apple store to go crying to if it all goes tits up. Doubt O2 will have any sympathy.

Dont mind this post, as long as you are not using a sim proxie having 2.28.00 BB and 2.2 FW will not matter, its the latest update of the iphone firmware.

Everything that the unlock does is stored in RAM and is deleted when the phone is rebooted, what causes it to restart is a setting on the iphone memory partition and not on the baseband chip. In the previous iphone they manipulated code on the baseband because it was not signed, this iphone they use overflow injection attacks to run their code, the baseband firmware has not been changed in any way, so there is no chance of bricking.

Everything that cydia or pwnage tool or quickpwn does to the iphone can be completly removed and never detected by performing a simple restore with the official apple firmware. So please dont listen to people who are not in the know about this. Test it away, the last few months of this project have been dedicated to making it safe, the only problem is that it might not work. This should only concern you if you are on a non official carrier, like me

If I upgrade to 2.28.00 BB firmware I will lost the ability to use the iphone if it doesnt work with vodafone, which would suck, i got calls to be makin'

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭lotas

So, can anyone confirm that a NI O2 PAYG iPhone can be unlocked and used in the south? Given the price difference between UK and Ireland (8gb = 480, 16gb = 569 in ROI, 8gb is 360 and 410 for 16gb in NI) it might be worth a trip... anyone know if its easy to buy up there? and "issues"?

lotas wrote: »
    So, can anyone confirm that a NI O2 PAYG iPhone can be unlocked and used in the south? Given the price difference between UK and Ireland (8gb = 480, 16gb = 569 in ROI, 8gb is 360 and 410 for 16gb in NI) it might be worth a trip... anyone know if its easy to buy up there? and "issues"?

Pretty much, I think if you were going to use o2 you could do that anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

On the iPhone there is.

Go to Settings-->Phone-->SIM PIN. From there you can turn the SIM PIN off (you'll need to enter the current pin once to do this, though).

On the iPhone there is.

Go to Settings-->Phone-->SIM PIN. From there you can turn the SIM PIN off (you'll need to enter the current pin once to do this, though).

you cant do it on a non activated sim

I agree with some of what your saying but the rest is just jibberish.
    It clearly states on the iphone dev team website that this is a BETA version and that the kinks are still being worked out. And it also says that any user used the tool at their own risk.

It's taken the Dev team 6 months to crack the unlock and as soon as Apple do an update to eliminate the vunerability theres no telling what can happen to iphones. You can't see into the future and neither can i so theres no way for any of us to tell what will happen after an Apple update.

The point is that people have waited months and months for this. Another few days for an apple update wouldn't hurt for the peace of mind that the phone wont be f**cked at the end of the day.

You guys can decide for yourself. Just make sure you know what your doing before you do it.
    Is this really the voice of reason:
    Test it away, the last few months of this project have been dedicated to making it safe, the only problem is that it might not work.

If I upgrade to 2.28.00 BB firmware I will lost the ability to use the iphone if it doesnt work with vodafone, which would suck, i got calls to be makin'

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

I got my iphone 3g in derry in the north i used the unlock and unlocked it and i am now using it on three ireland and have put my o2 payg sim in and it worked grand. both sims are not pin locked.

• Advertisement

I agree with some of what your saying but the rest is just jibberish.
    It clearly states on the iphone dev team website that this is a BETA version and that the kinks are still being worked out. And it also says that any user used the tool at their own risk.

It's taken the Dev team 6 months to crack the unlock and as soon as Apple do an update to eliminate the vunerability theres no telling what can happen to iphones. You can't see into the future and neither can i so theres no way for any of us to tell what will happen after an Apple update.

The point is that people have waited months and months for this. Another few days for an apple update wouldn't hurt for the peace of mind that the phone wont be f**cked at the end of the day.

You guys can decide for yourself. Just make sure you know what your doing before you do it.
    Is this really the voice of reason:

Here listen mate, don't comment on what you don't know about, Its clear you know nothing about reverse engineering so stop trying to be the wise one when you know crap

Ill break it down for you in the most basic language I can think of

The original iPhone didn't have a signature check on the baseband chip. The baseband chip is the chip that controls the phones functions like making a call, text messaging etc. A signature check is when you use a very powerful mathematical algorithm to verify weather something is genuine or not, Might i suggest you try looking up "RSA encryption and signing" in wikipedia. Because the original iphone had no way of confirming that the correct baseband firmware it was replaced by a compromised version of the baseband firmware which was told to ignore the carrier lock. The reason that bricking occurred was because the new firmware sent the chip into deadlock, (stuck in a while loop, for example)

The unlock of the iPhone 3g is done by way of a buffer overflow attacks, this if you knew anything about pointers is a very common problem where a variable is expecting a word or information of certin lenght but instead people overflow the variable to overwrite the buffer which allows them to run unauthorized code, this however is done in RAM, The code of the baseband is never change, just manipulated to do the unlock. As it is done in RAM whenever you reboot the iPhone it drops all the settings, just like when you reboot you computer it forgets that you are running a program, but just like in window you have programs that start when the computer starts "start up" folder for example, you have something that calls yellowsn0w at the start again. There is no change in the baseband at all, therefore a simple official restore will fix everything.

To everyone else, please don't mind this person, all this information can be confirmed by going to blog.iphone-dev.org and finding a post by musclenerd and viewing all his previous posts. I have been following the progress of this everyday since June and have kept up to date on the whole process. Dublinstiofán is obviously only an armature where as I program for a living and spend most of my free time doing reverse engineering.

And apple can update all the want, as long as you use pwnage tool and chose not to update the baseband this solution will be with us for life

and when it says all the kinks are being worked out they do not mean that there is potential to brick someone iphone they mean to get all solutions unlocked.

Sighface wrote: »
    I got my iphone 3g in derry in the north i used the unlock and unlocked it and i am now using it on three ireland and have put my o2 payg sim in and it worked grand. both sims are not pin locked.

Do you think you could try a vodafone sim card?

I think I have one around somewhere, ill try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Sighface wrote: »

you wouldn't be kind enough to provide some more info.

i have at&t 3g iphone that i used successfully with meteor on fw 2.1 with a gevey sim.

i have completely wiped my iphone, updated to fw 2.2, bb 2.28.00, jailbroke with quickpwn 2.2 and activated. added yellowsn0w and placed a 3 ireland and meteor sim in tray with no luck!

hope you can help

Cody i can comment on anything i like and to be honest i don't care what you say. My OPINION holds firm. I never claimed to be an expert at any of it.
    Me thinks you have some anger management issues need resolving, I'm not personally attacking you which you seem to think i am. TBH i couldn't care less about any of it. Your king of the Thread congratulations. And your right i'm not a software engineer wouldn't waste my time on that one. I'm a different type of engineer, a better one.

Good luck with your unlocks everybody :D

Ok, tried PAYG Vodafone SIM. Seems to work fine.
    scottyboy wrote: »

i have at&t 3g iphone that i used successfully with meteor on fw 2.1 with a gevey sim.

i have completely wiped my iphone, updated to fw 2.2, bb 2.28.00, jailbroke with quickpwn 2.2 and activated. added yellowsn0w and placed a 3 ireland and meteor sim in tray with no luck!

hope you can help

I assume you disabled your security pin?

Install yellowsn0w with the sim already in the tray, don't add it after. Also try turning off 3G temporarily if the above doesn't solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

Two reasons I'm waiting for a few days or weeks to install this:

1) I want a version that works out the bugs with SIM cards (like the O2 one) that have SIM toolkit application menus.
    2) There's talk (from MuscleNerd of the dev team) that they might provide a tool to allow an upgrade of the 2.1 baseband for those who followed the original instructions and used Pwnage to leave that baseband in place. This might allow us to install yellowsn0w without having to lose all our SMS, app settings, etc. (which is what will happen if we just Restore to 2.2, then Quickpwn).

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

hope you can help

ok it might have took my phone two reboots and removing and replacing the sim try a few times, but now i can change between a 3 ireland sim o2 uk and o2 irl , all of which will work

Maybe try the following update us on how it works
    1. Download and install BossPrefs and Yellowsn0w via Cydia
    2. Disable all Functions with BossPrefs (don´t worry if you can´t disable EDGE)
    3. Reboot ypur Phone with BossPrefs (not in the normally way - important !)
    4. Wait 1.30 min when you see the Lockscreen
    5. Take out your Sim and insert it. (for a second was information about invalid sim)
    6. Wait a moment ans..

thanks for the replies

i have disabled my pin request on another phone but may change them to 0000 to be 100% safe!

am restoring my iphone again to 2.2 and will try all suggestions. give me 30 mins to perform "magic"

;)

• Advertisement

scottyboy wrote: »
    thanks for the replies

i have disabled my pin request on another phone but may change them to 0000 to be 100% safe!

am restoring my iphone again to 2.2 and will try all suggestions. give me 30 mins to perform "magic"

;)

1. Install BossPrefs and Yellowsn0w from Cydia

2. Disable everything in BossPrefs

3. Reboot your iPhone using BossPrefs

4. Wait 1.30 min when you see lockscreen

5. Take your sim out and insert it

6. Wait a moment

7. In settings turn on Fly Mode

8. Turn off Fly Mode

9. Your iPhone 3G should be working now!

Nothing!!

followed instructions precisely and still get no signal for 3 Irl, Vodafone and Meteor. Left Meteor SIM in phone during iTunes restore and QuickPwn.

My only thought during the process is: did you update Cydia when first opening as requested by Cydia?

thanks!

Advertisement