Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get a tattoo to cover scars?

• 17-04-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is it possible to cover scars with a tattoo? Just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Yes.

This one I saw recently, as an example of what can be done :

vnPow.jpg

Obviously depending on the scar there may be restrictions on what can be done but have a think about what you want and then have a chat with some artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Poodle Zombie

That's great thanks! I thought that the ink would bleed on the scar tissue. My scar is not as tight as the one in the picture but hopefully I can get it to look that good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I have been tattooed over some fairly wide scars on my arm, no bother at all, no bleeding. Discuss it with the artist first, as you'll need somebody competent in tattooing over scars, but you should be grand. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I have a scar about 8 inches long on my forearm from a knife attack years ago and was recently tattooed there. Didn't feel it and it can't even be seen now. I suppose it depends on the scar too. But in general, I reckon you'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

it wud also depend on the age of the scar.i wanted some scarring covered and was told by a tattooist that they were too 'fresh' to be tattooed over even tho at the time they were 2years old.he said something about scar tissue still changing for a few years afterwards.i didnt listen to him i really wanted them covered so i went to another place round the corner and got the job done no bother but u can still see them if u look hard enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Have one on my left bicep from bike accident long ago and got tattoo over part of it
    Actually couldnt feel the needle on it
    Tattooist will tell you anyway as heard some bleed out a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I made enquiries about this myself as ive scars in my forarm id like covered. You'll never hide a scar completely, there'll obviously be a difference in the texture of the tattoo over the scars, but any competent artist will do a bloody good job of disguising them. Also the older and more faded the scar the better the end result will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Yes you can cover scars and stretch marks with a tattoo. I had a huge scar hip bone to hip bone (I still have it but it feels like its gone the tattoo covers it so well! ) I'm so happy with the result Im actually planning my second tattoo to cover other stretch marks. If you are self conscious about your scar and like tattoos its the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aido764

what would be the best colour to get when covering a scar

aido764 wrote: »
    what would be the best colour to get when covering a scar

Well, the scar is never going to be completely invisible under the tattoo, whatever colour you use. The tattoo I have covering some scars on my arm is black, white, purple and blue and all cover the scars equally, except the white. It's a little more visible through the white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just chipping in. Recently got scar covered. You're better to use detailed work than a block of ink to cover a scar.
    If it has a nice bit of detail and line work it will hide the scar easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I had extensive scaring on one of my arms and got it covered with no issue, they were old enough scars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guydead67

Hey Googled Eyes, where did you get the tattoo done? Did you need it touched up after? Was the tattooist experienced with scars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

972137_627717113922971_783303002_n.jpg

recent piece done by robert litcan in Dark Raptor, scars can be covered over really well that in just passing you wouldn't notice but examining them you would.

That's a really cool piece, I love black and grey. Hides the scar really well too

guydead67 wrote: »
    Hey Googled Eyes, where did you get the tattoo done? Did you need it touched up after? Was the tattooist experienced with scars?

The guy who did it ( Cris Gherman ) doesn't live here anymore. I had explained when we first spoke about what I wanted, being scarred and we went from there.
    At first I had an idea for a stylised tattoo but on meeting Cris he thought realism would work better.
    It healed really quickly

Once the initial swelling was done, if you knew the scars were there you would see it but if you are just looking at the tattoo and didn't know it would be less obvious

That's fantastic work! Very jealous that you were tattooed by Cris! :p Are you happy with the results? :)

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    That's fantastic work! Very jealous that you were tattooed by Cris! :p Are you happy with the results? :)

Hey I'm more than happy.:D

My arm had been bugging me for a long while now, so I'm very happy to have it done. The only problem is now I want more tattoos and I've little or no money to fill that want.

That's a well good tattoo, tis a shame Cris is gone

Hey I'm more than happy.:D

My arm had been bugging me for a long while now, so I'm very happy to have it done. The only problem is now I want more tattoos and I've little or no money to fill that want.

I feel your pain, seriously. I only got one three weeks ago, and already I'm cracking up with want for another. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

guydead67 wrote: »
    That's a really cool piece, I love black and grey. Hides the scar really well too

I've been saying it quite a while now that Robert is one of the very best around when it comes to black and grey, his colour work is after coming along seriously far in the last year that I would easily put him up with any artist in Ireland.

Have my next payday this thursday and will be calling into him

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd always have ranked him fairly well, but certainly looks like he's come on quite a lot in the few years since I saw him at the Dublin convention.

Advertisement