Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

jay93 wrote: »
    In fairness the line belongs to Eircom which Eircom installed itself nothing Magnet can do if it's down to Eircom's crappy copper line that runs to your house.

To be honest fibre isn't going to suffer the same problems as an ADSL line would two totally differant tech and hardware involved there the fibre connection will always beat a ADSL line hands down.

Fibre and DSL share the same backbone network. Initially the OP said that the problem was not PSTN nor Internal leaving the only possible issue to be either the equipment at the DSLAM or the backbone/core network. Which is common in both (that's if the OP is on Line Sharing otherwise they only share thei core network). Showing my pings etc was only to demostrate how the problem is not with magnets core network.

As I have said lowering the speed was an indication that the problem was somewhere along the line and the fact that downgrading the line to 10 mb has apparently given the op a more reliable line doesnt mean that the problem isnt internal.

If the OP is happy and the line is stable then great but I'd suggest investigating a bit further. Routers break, even if you dont "touch" them. Sockets, breakl, extension sockets, extension cables break, and so does the POTS.

I would get back to magnet and ask them if the see any issues with the line and where they think the problem is. ADSL is a rate adaptive product, specially if you asre on ADSL2+ you should not need to downgrade to make a line stable unless there is some sort of burst noise or unless the DSLAM cannot fix your target noise margin, this is normally due to electrical interference as when the ATUs negotiate at showtime they would have set your profile to meet the minimum target noise margin but sometime after this takes place your line characteristics will change and your noise margin will go below whatever the tnm was set to

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm getting constant dropped connections on my line, was with eircom, moved to magnet in october, and my line drops at least 4-5 times a night, requiring a modem reboot, has only been like this since magnet took over the line, i play games online a bit and its seriously annoying having a game time out for no reason and having to wait a few mins to connect again, its like clockwork now, i get home from work, turn on the router, it'll stay connected for 10-15 mins, drop, restart, stay connected for 10-15 mins, drop, then it'll be fine again for a few hours, annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

krudler wrote: »
    I'm getting constant dropped connections on my line, was with eircom, moved to magnet in october, and my line drops at least 4-5 times a night, requiring a modem reboot, has only been like this since magnet took over the line, i play games online a bit and its seriously annoying having a game time out for no reason and having to wait a few mins to connect again, its like clockwork now, i get home from work, turn on the router, it'll stay connected for 10-15 mins, drop, restart, stay connected for 10-15 mins, drop, then it'll be fine again for a few hours, annoying!

Hey Krudler

It is unlikely for your problem to arise at the same time you moved to magnet unless two cases:

First that you were on an ADSL1 exchange and when you moved to magnet you were upgraded to ADSL2+. This type of modulation is more sensitive to interference (some particular type of situations, as it is not the case for all type of interferences). In fact, 9 out of 10 times the problem is with internal setup, router type, extension cables etc. Most of these problems can be solved by yourself by removing everything connected to the phone line and just leave the modem connected, this means no extensions, filters, sky, alarms, etc... and into the main socket too

Another case is less also common but it could be due to the router not being compatible but this will normally cause a constant disconnection not rare disconnection at peak hours/or specific hours of the day.

this of course is all based on the fact that oyur line is actually loosing sync, meaning that the DSL light goes off on the router, otherwise the problem could be elsewhere.

My suggestion is that you contact magnet and follow their troubleshooting steps..., and then take it from there!

Good luck, not enough that you have to put out with CODs lag issues but now this too!

the router is the only thing connected to the line, was an eircom line previously and when eircom had it i'd get maybe 1-2 dropped connections a week, nothing really noticeable, but every day and almost the to minute is getting annoying, since 7pm tonight its dropped 3 times, not so much a bother when you're browsing, it is when you drop in the middle of a download and have to waste bandwidth starting it again or a game stops and people think you just ragequit, will give magnet another shout n see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Don't see why everyone is complaining about the speed, I only signed up for 24Mb!
    1776633084.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Botulism wrote: »
    Don't see why everyone is complaining about the speed, I only signed up for 24Mb!
    1776633084.png

Shocking upload speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amgodogma

Hey everyone,

I have magnet broadband running with no problem. My problem is with my seagate golfex home network drive. I have it plugged into the router magnet provided but it only very rarely comes up as a shared device on my laptop in my home network.

Anyone with suggestions on a fix for this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

1782022498.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 darecki

Hi,

Whats the router quality like that magnet provide for the 24mb simply broadband??

Would I be better off buying a decent one myself? €5 charge per month for using magnets router, don't mind paying that but they any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

amgodogma wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I have magnet broadband running with no problem. My problem is with my seagate golfex home network drive. I have it plugged into the router magnet provided but it only very rarely comes up as a shared device on my laptop in my home network.

Anyone with suggestions on a fix for this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

magnet routers suck when it comes to home lans (this is due to lack of any control regarding the router's dhcp / lan settings).... buy a proper router and plug all your computers and hard drives or printers etc into the new router... then plug the new router into the magnet one and set the new router to do all your dhcp and wifi.... this will keep all your computers within the same subnet thus making sharing files / printers easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Ordered Magnet's 'Simply Broadband' LLU ADSL2 product last Tuesday, the 14th of Feb. Typing this on it now on Monday the 20th of Feb. Fairly impressive turnaround time, around 3-4 working days. Used my own Netopia router from a previous Eircom connection and everything is working great, getting speeds of around 20MBs. It's not the UPC 50MBs I'd become accustomed too, but that wasn't an option at this address. This is definitely the next best thing if you can't get UPC and you just want a broadband product without tv or phone. It's 40 euro a month and there's no yearly contract. Happy so far anyway, just hope I don't run into some of the problems here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Anyone else on Magnet's DSL notice a serious drop in their connection quality over the last week or so? My modem's now connection at ~6Mb where it was initially connection at 18... It just plummeted in the last week :(

Rang em yesterday and they're going to send out a replacement cable to connect to the phone socket to see if that makes any difference, but I very much doubt that it will. It's most likely an eircom issue which they'll completely ignore :(

I'm in D8.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

just got connected to magnet last week and was kind of an anticlimax,
    2.2dl and .6up...

As well as the dissapointing speeds the provided Zyxel router is now giving me trouble also.

The connection drops ever 30minutes/1hour.
    My ps3 is connected via wired ethernet... and my iphone over wifi, the result is the same...

devices need to be rebooted to get a connection which is very frustrating.

Tech support says its because the router uses an external dynamic ip address... and the fact that i cannot view this through command prompt is there is a problem with MY computer???

my computer works perfectly fine with ever single other connection it comes across on a weekly basis.

needlessly to say I'll be cancelling my magnet broadband subscription in the next week if i don't get it working

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VWerner

Putting my experience with them here:

I want to share my terror story with Magnet Networks. After two months without connection of any kind and ball rolling between them and eircom I have cancelled my service with them. In two months I have been able to have broadband for just 6-7 hours, having a top speed of 3.6mb which was far from the 24mb which I signed up with them, and this was unstable with 8 connection losses in 4 hours, and some of the times the connection went down to 160kbps (just better than a dial up connection). I have repeatedly requested a manager during the last month, I have filled complains which have gone unanswered, and today a "team leader" (not a manager) finally called me to tell me basically all they will offer me is a refund as up to this point the above experience has cost me in excess of 1400 as I have not been able to move to the property due to this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

dregin wrote: »
    Anyone else on Magnet's DSL notice a serious drop in their connection quality over the last week or so? My modem's now connection at ~6Mb where it was initially connection at 18... It just plummeted in the last week :(

I'm in D8.

Started seeing problems earlier in the week:

Sunday night: Internet down
    Monday morning: Internet running very slowly, went to work.
    Monday night: Internet down
    Tuesday night: Internet kinda working. So slow, couldnt even begin a test on speedtest.
    Wednesday night: Internet running at 2mb

Called magnet, they did some stuff, running at 9mb. Put on some kind of profile, back to 2mb, removed back to 9ish.

I was getting 19 or so last week.

And im pretty close to the exchange......

Also in D8

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Shougeki wrote: »
    Started seeing problems earlier in the week:

Sunday night: Internet down
    Monday morning: Internet running very slowly, went to work.
    Monday night: Internet down
    Tuesday night: Internet kinda working. So slow, couldnt even begin a test on speedtest.
    Wednesday night: Internet running at 2mb

Called magnet, they did some stuff, running at 9mb. Put on some kind of profile, back to 2mb, removed back to 9ish.

I was getting 19 or so last week.

And im pretty close to the exchange......

Also in D8

YES, I have the exact same problem. I'm in D8 also (on the quays). I've called magnet, the only thing they are willing to do is lower the speed. I went from 10mbps good (no packet drops, stable internet) to 8mbps with packet drops, called them again 2 days ago and they changed it to a "gamer profile" at 8mbit. However I'm getting 5.5 down, 0.5 up, and I still have packet drops.

Basically, it's crap. Obviously something's happened somewhere in D8 with regards to phone lines. I'm ~2250m from my exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

When i called, my problem was less than 100 yards from the exchange, and eircom did get involved, as they had access to the ticketting system

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

the router is the only thing connected to the line, was an eircom line previously and when eircom had it i'd get maybe 1-2 dropped connections a week, nothing really noticeable, but every day and almost the to minute is getting annoying, since 7pm tonight its dropped 3 times, not so much a bother when you're browsing, it is when you drop in the middle of a download and have to waste bandwidth starting it again or a game stops and people think you just ragequit, will give magnet another shout n see

That's just the quality of the magnet system. It is not useable for gamers unless you live inside an eircom switching station.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Anyone living in Monkstown/Dun Laoghaire have this? I'm looking to change (currently on Smart) but I don't want to get something that's going to be worse. There is a lot of online gaming on our connection so it needs to have a good ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Does anyone know how to set up a netgear router on magnets just broadband

The settings are not the same as for there other packages

I got the eircom zyxtel router working but it's absolutely crap.needs rebooting every couple of hours after the wifi disappears

I put the same settings that worked on d eircom router into the netgear but the internet light remains red

The settings for just broadband are:

Vpi 8
    Vci 35
    Ppoe
    llc

I have the magnet user and Password and the DNS servers

But with all these settings in the netgear it still doesn't Work.am I missing another setting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Its ok now i ordered one of their own modems

to cancel an account do I just email the sales email on the contact us page? or if I pm rep can they do it? moved house and the new place already has a magnet setup under my new housemates name so I dont need my own one anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

to cancel an account do I just email the sales email on the contact us page? or if I pm rep can they do it? moved house and the new place already has a magnet setup under my new housemates name so I dont need my own one anymore

Fire off an email. If you haven't heard of them in a day or so, give them a call.

Or, if you want it taken care of ASAP, call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jpkidd

Hi I'm living in mallow, co cork I was talking to some1 about magnet, I was thinking of getting it, They have 24mb for €40 is it any good nd do get anything like 24mb or is it just a ploy to get u to sign up. I had three bb but it was crap nd there customer service was as bad. Eircom is to expensive and it is limited. Any feed back from ppl around cork/ mallow area or any one in general would be brill.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Wow - I was just about to change my BB provider to magnet today but after reading this thread I've decided to stick with my current provider and just upgrade my package. Better the devil you know and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Magnet: Gary

Hi All,

I have had a back seat for a while but I am now here if you have any burning issues to ask or get resolved - PM me or post here - I will be around most days, however as I also have a day job in Magnet response times could vary ;)

Thanks

Gary

Waraf - We have many happy customers and the views in this thread are the views of individuals with unique issues -please feel free to explore our packages and speak with one of sales people for more info.

A quick note on our broadband services:

ADSL2+ and ADSL are very sensitive technologies and require a number of conditions to be fine which in many cases are out of magnets control.

Magnet have access to 40 Eircom exchanges around the country which house our own equipment to provide up to 24MB broadband over a pre cabled land line - this is called Local Loop Unbundling or LLU - A number of factors that affect speeds and connection quality are as follows: Distance from exchange (LLU has a max rang of approx 4km) and existing copper line quality - we have no control over how long a line has been in the ground or running over head.

Fibre to the Home - We sell this to specific addresses in housing developments in Dublin, Laois and Meath - this offers up to 100MB Broadband TV and Phone.

We also sell Next Generation Broadband which is an Eircom Wholesale product we provide this over a phone line and offers speeds of up to 24MB this is available to all customers in a NGB exchange.

I can assure all of you that we take on board all issues and problems and do our up most to resolve and improve customers situations and our own internal processes and procedures if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Ive been with magnet for 4yrs at different addresses and various products.. I use the net mostly for gaming so consistency in my connection is of utmost importance and magnet have rarely let me down, i would always recommend there products,
    Most ppl use forums to point out concerns and problems, ppl who dont have problems rarely speak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Magnet is down in Castletroy, Limerick today. Just talking with support, I'm not alone. Support is looking into it, hoping to have it back tomorrow.

Router connected, but no Internet.

I've been with Magnet 3 years, first time had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I ordered internet from Magnet yesterday, and got a text saying my "services are now live..."

Does this mean I'm ready to go? I was expecting it would take several more days to be activated?
    I'm using my own Eircom Netopia router, and the .pdf configuration document has been emailed on. WHY may I ask, is the text in the settings section too small to read????? So I can't set up my modem for now. Any chance you could email the settings on? Or better yet a step by step guide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I ordered internet from Magnet yesterday, and got a text saying my "services are now live..."

Does this mean I'm ready to go? I was expecting it would take several more days to be activated?
    I'm using my own Eircom Netopia router, and the .pdf configuration document has been emailed on. WHY may I ask, is the text in the settings section too small to read????? So I can't set up my modem for now. Any chance you could email the settings on? Or better yet a step by step guide?

Savagecabbages,

Did you get it working using the Netopia modem and magnet instructions?

John.

Advertisement