Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

NewsTalk have laid off 34 people in past few months, 35 if the reports on Ger Gilroys future are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if you can pay Newstalk to advertise for you during the news headlines?

I'd say you could get them to do anything with plenty of a bit of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GodOfRadio

Anyone else listen to Kim Kommando over in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

deadhead13 wrote: »
    NewsTalk have laid off 34 people in past few months, 35 if the reports on Ger Gilroys future are true.

Has any official announcement been made on this yet?

Koloman wrote: »
    Has any official announcement been made on this yet?

About Ger Gilroy? No not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

sunday tribune had a thing on this gilroy thing today. they say an e mail was sent internally telling people not to speculate as it was hurtful to mr g.

if you think it was hurtful dont forget to text the breakfast show, texts cost 30 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Here is the article in the Tribune -

Newstalk confirms Ger Gilroy is not being dropped
    Management of radio station Newstalk have confirmed that presenter Ger Gilroy is to stay with the station, despite speculation he is being dropped from co-hosting Newstalk's Breakfast Show in favour of former Fine Gael minister Ivan Yates.

Last week Newstalk sent a memo to staff which did not deny that Gilroy is to be axed but instead advised employees that the leaking of information was neither helpful nor fair to Gilroy, who is said to have first learnt of the job shuffle from media reports.

The memo praised Gilroy, who is due to marry next month, as a "very talented broadcaster" and said he would remain with the station. It ended with an admission that the situation could have been handled better.

"Of course you don't want people reading about a conversation I had with somebody else, or Ger's parents reading about that," said Newstalk CEO Frank Cronin this weekend. "Speculation about his future just before he's getting married, of course you wouldn't want that. While we have had discussions with Ivan Yates, nothing has been concluded, so any such comment was premature."

I wonder will Mr Yates be stepping in when Ger takes a few weeks off for his wedding and honeymoon? Or will they leave Claire with Conor Brophy - I would prefer to have Conor rather than Ivan Yates. And I would even more prefer to have Ger & Conor in the morning rather than Claire at all.

Keeping Ger on makes sense, he is one of their better presenters. It will be interesting to see what he ends up doing. A shake up of the schedule would do no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Hopefully they'll axe Eamonn Keane from the lunchtime show and put Ger in instead. Of course, that'll never happen - bear with me on this :rolleyes:

Firetrap wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll axe Eamonn Keane from the lunchtime show and put Ger in instead. Of course, that'll never happen - bear with me on this :rolleyes:

It would be "BREAKING NEWS" if that happened!biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Firetrap wrote: »

If Keane got sacked would we have to listen while he explains what a P45 is?

Because that would be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

"My apologies to the news team, I just felt that story about me being axed was too important to cut away from".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Anyone listen to the fella standing in for Eamonn Keane on Lunchtime? I think he's very good, he completely grilled Mary Wallace, twas very funny! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Its John Keogh that fills for him. He's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dars

anyone hear that Claire Byrne was approached by RTE about presenting Primetime???? ive heard it about 3 times already but dont know if its just speculation with all of the musical chairs thats happening in the media this week. its probably just rumour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Just after 630am this morning....
    Text in and let us know what the weather is like where you are

Thats 30cent please. You have to hope that nobody falls for little cons like that.

Dars wrote: »
    anyone hear that Claire Byrne was approached by RTE about presenting Primetime???? ive heard it about 3 times already but dont know if its just speculation with all of the musical chairs thats happening in the media this week. its probably just rumour!

Surely you've got to be joking! She was a guest on Vincent Browne a few weeks ago and she demonstrated how completely out of her depth she was. She was torn apart by the other guests and showed her lack of knowledge on the big issues.

Claire is fine at reading from a script, but thats about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Just after 630am this morning....

Thats 30cent please. You have to hope that nobody falls for little cons like that.

So did they read out the texts?

"John in Leitrim has texted in to tell us it's dry today."

How can you take the show seriously? Management haven't a leg to stand on if firing people for poor JNLR results with that kind of sh*te going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

It seems completely ridiculous to me that a national news station that doubles as a talk radio station( or should that be the other way around) finishes live broadcasting at 10pm!
    I never really liked the guy they had in the slot before but it's really amateur to broadcast a repeat of a lunchtime news show in what is still radio primetime(almost).
    And it also means an extra two hours of Eamonn Keane, which is an extra 100% and also 200% more of him per day than anyone needs in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

More Music wrote: »
    So did they read out the texts?

"John in Leitrim has texted in to tell us it's dry today."

God only knows...Newstalk are handy for the news/traffic at 630 but then i'm usually back to whichever station is playing the best tune:D

The whole thing is it makes "the breakfast show bargains emails" that were been pushed heavily by the duo until recently all the more ironic...perhaps somebody could have suggested a standard rate text to Matt Cooper as a bit of a bargain:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

Ivan Yates, bloody hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Koloman wrote: »
    Surely you've got to be joking! She was a guest on Vincent Browne a few weeks ago and she demonstrated how completely out of her depth she was. She was torn apart by the other guests and showed her lack of knowledge on the big issues.
    Saw that, she was embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

cashback wrote: »
    It seems completely ridiculous to me that a national news station that doubles as a talk radio station( or should that be the other way around) finishes live broadcasting at 10pm!
    I never really liked the guy they had in the slot before but it's really amateur to broadcast a repeat of a lunchtime news show in what is still radio primetime(almost).

I agree totally, but bad and all as it was - it was "listenable" compared to what we are offered now.

Anybody know what has become Declan Carty the presenter of late night live ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Caught the full episode of the emergency for the first time today - IMO it is not as bad as previous posters implied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why do Newstalk not care about basic standards?

Yet again they managed to miss the kick off at one of their Premsier League games. So busy was (insert name here) reading out dumb-ass texts the Blackburn - Wigan game was 2 mins old before they went over to join the BBC commentary team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I got a fright this morning...No Ger!
    But fear not, he should be back tomorrow, he was off on his stag weekend!
    It was odd, as Claire told Tom Dunne that there was no sign of Ger and she didn't know where he was, which made me wonder, but then she added in that he was away for the weekend at his stag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

mike65 wrote: »
    Why do Newstalk not care about basic standards?

Yet again they managed to miss the kick off at one of their Premsier League games. So busy was (insert name here) reading out dumb-ass texts the Blackburn - Wigan game was 2 mins old before they went over to join the BBC commentary team.

Speaking about texts, Brendan O'Brien kept interrupting an interview with the South African Ambassador on Sat morning to read out texts relating to a story in the previous hour.

He asked her a question, then before she could answer, started reading out texts....sorry bumbling his way through texts for 3 minutes, then asked her for an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I tried to listen to him on Saturday but just had to bail out after about 10 mins its rare that a man can quicken my heartrate, raise my blood pressure and shorten my breath but he does it every time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

The Hooky Monster lost the run of himself this evening, cut across a guest with the declaration that we had swine flu here

goes to reporter saying "Ireland has its first case of the flu"

Reporter: Eh No George, we've been told theyre carrying out tests, thats all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement