Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Magazine Thread

• 22-03-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭

Does anyone buy this. I use too get it every month years back. The last one got was the wrestle maina one. I find theres loads of ads in it than there use too be.

There is one like too read just can't think of it. Its in eason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I find it depressing that in most newsagents the WWE magazine used to be stacked with other sports magazines, but now it's stacked on the bottom shelf with kids magazines next to the Beano.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Really? I usually find the 4 wrestling mags in the sports section, and only the WWE Kids Magazine in the kids section. At least in most of the Easons I go to.

Used to buy WWE mag when I was younger. Then bought it a few times in my later years cause of the Diva pictures (<_<). Then they stopped doing even them. I find my problem is that there are better magazines out there in every possible way (news, interviews, reviews, etc) and that aren't obviously biased....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Raw Magazine used to be decent when Vince Russo was involved with it (Yes I just praised something Russo related!). They had decent non-kayfabe interviews and features. Best one I remember is one with Edge about his life and career.

Only wrestling magazine I'd get now is Powerslam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

The recently revamped FSM is the best out there.

I get both FSM and Powerslam, since I find the articles are strong in the first and the news is better in the second. Plus differeing opinions is always interesting.

I shall be cancelling my subscription to FSM in the summer when it runs out though; It takes way too long to get to my house by post for some reason. Have seen it in shops two weeks before it arrives at my house, thus making the subscription pointless...

• Advertisement

So you are cancelling FSM as it takes too long to get to you but you buy Powerslam for the news instead for paying for an online site? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Really? I usually find the 4 wrestling mags in the sports section, and only the WWE Kids Magazine in the kids section. At least in most of the Easons I go to.

Used to buy WWE mag when I was younger. Then bought it a few times in my later years cause of the Diva pictures (<_<). Then they stopped doing even them. I find my problem is that there are better magazines out there in every possible way (news, interviews, reviews, etc) and that aren't obviously biased....

Ah yeah your dead right, Eason still stock it in the Sports section!

In Tesco it's bottom shelf with the kids rags. Tesco have a cool looking new WWE 3D mag with 3D posters in stock now.

Have to say that the FSM that came out this week is best and most original magazine Ive read in years.

I've taken a serious knock in my liking of FSM due to their shocking subscription service. I still buy it, but I find I rate Powerslam more nowadays...

I've taken a serious knock in my liking of FSM due to their shocking subscription service. I still buy it, but I find I rate Powerslam more nowadays...

Ill take an article on Tozawa in the US over yet another Edge retro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I found whenever I bought Fighting Spirit it was just a bit full of itself & the Lance Storm articles were pure boring.I only bought 3 & never read the last one before dumping it out in the recycling. Way rather Power Slam their review of Mania was right on the head but I could do without the 6 page 3 part Edge love-ins.I was particularly dissapointed with the Savage article this month,thank god they are doing a 2nd part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I used to really enjoy a mag called World of Wrestling which later changed to Power of Wrestling. Bill Apter was the editor if I remember correctly. I haven't seen it anywhere in years now though, I presume its no longer published.

GTR63 wrote: »
    I found whenever I bought Fighting Spirit it was just a bit full of itself & the Lance Storm articles were pure boring.I only bought 3 & never read the last one before dumping it out in the recycling. Way rather Power Slam their review of Mania was right on the head but I could do without the 6 page 3 part Edge love-ins.I was particularly dissapointed with the Savage article this month,thank god they are doing a 2nd part.

When was the last time you read FSM out of interest? Personally I dont pay attention to Lance, Nick Adlis, Apters stuff at the end of the mag.

drayme wrote: »
    When was the last time you read FSM out of interest? Personally I dont pay attention to Lance, Nick Adlis, Apters stuff at the end of the mag.

they reviewed Couture vs Big Nog & talked about ROH losing Danielson & McGuinness. It was around Autumn 09 I think. It was a bit out of date when it had a interview with McGuinness talking about him signing with wwe.

GTR63 wrote: »
    they reviewed Couture vs Big Nog & talked about ROH losing Danielson & McGuinness. It was around Autumn 09 I think. It was a bit out of date when it had a interview with McGuinness talking about him signing with wwe.

So I guess that was well before the new editor - Brian Elliot then. You should really, really go out of your way to sample the latest issue. I despised the old FSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Raw Magazine used to be decent when Vince Russo was involved with it (Yes I just praised something Russo related!). They had decent non-kayfabe interviews and features. Best one I remember is one with Edge about his life and career.

Only wrestling magazine I'd get now is Powerslam.

RAW Magazine was quality, forgot all about it. They were testing the waters with getting rid of the magazine & making it just an online thing. Think that would ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

I have to say the wwe magazine is the most worthless publication out there. Full of adverts, nonsense trivia and kayfabe articles that were written 2 months before the mag hit the shelves! I will never buy it again anyway, I used to buy it when I was a teenager but that's before I discovered Powerslam. I loved Powerslam for years and then FSM came out and I favoured FSM more then. Both are excellent publications in my opinion. I have very recently stopped buying both because I found I wasn't reading them as pleasurably as I used to - I ended up having a stack of about six issues altogether from both magazines waiting to be read at one stage and I just said it was time to stop buying them!
    The main reason for this is all my info,news,videos I get from the internet now. Yes, there are exclusive articles and opinions in the magazines but I find a quick flick through them in easons now suffices. Anyone in a similar boat?

esprimo wrote: »
    I have to say the wwe magazine is the most worthless publication out there. Full of adverts, nonsense trivia and kayfabe articles that were written 2 months before the mag hit the shelves! I will never buy it again anyway, I used to buy it when I was a teenager but that's before I discovered Powerslam. I loved Powerslam for years and then FSM came out and I favoured FSM more then. Both are excellent publications in my opinion. I have very recently stopped buying both because I found I wasn't reading them as pleasurably as I used to - I ended up having a stack of about six issues altogether from both magazines waiting to be read at one stage and I just said it was time to stop buying them!
    The main reason for this is all my info,news,videos I get from the internet now. Yes, there are exclusive articles and opinions in the magazines but I find a quick flick through them in easons now suffices. Anyone in a similar boat?

I buy Power Slam,have no problem reading it quick.I'd read it in a day over the weekend.I do skim over the news but always watch out if they might mention a wrestler is carrying injuries or that.I really enjoy the old ppv reviews cause i've never seen a lot of early 90's ppv. I enjoy the articles but the interviews are hit n miss. Not picking on him but Jericho i'd rather hear about wrestling than Fozzy. They do have good jokes written in a few articles too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Do you PowerSlam readers think they've gotten a bit snarkier as of late? Warning bells went off when they were really denigrating Sheamus, but talking up Drew McIntyre? Maybe it's due to the disparity of their successes but they talked about Sheamo like he was Mason Ryan!

Also; there was an article about Jericho; basically saying that he's never been great, a little nicer than coming out and saying he's a glorified jobber to the stars. It was infuriating. (Considering Jericho's always been booked to be inferior and only remained over due to his own talent; constantly battling the WWE machine.)

Also their recent Macho Man tribute wasn't as reverential, i felt it was more of a fact-telling mission, you know? Or am I reading too much into everything? :o

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Do you PowerSlam readers think they've gotten a bit snarkier as of late? Warning bells went off when they were really denigrating Sheamus, but talking up Drew McIntyre? Maybe it's due to the disparity of their successes but they talked about Sheamo like he was Mason Ryan!

Also; there was an article about Jericho; basically saying that he's never been great, a little nicer than coming out and saying he's a glorified jobber to the stars. It was infuriating. (Considering Jericho's always been booked to be inferior and only remained over due to his own talent; constantly battling the WWE machine.)

Also their recent Macho Man tribute wasn't as reverential, i felt it was more of a fact-telling mission, you know? Or am I reading too much into everything? :o

They did butcher Jericho in that article a bit but I don't think that Vince would allow a guy lose as much as Jericho does if he looks at him as being a full time main eventer.That doesn't mean he hasn't been one over the last decade. I think some of it was for not being honest in a few interviews like when he said Bischoff could be a asset to Tna yet wouldn't admit he's wrong when its clear Bischoff isn't. Jericho has no problem criticising tna in interviews with radio stations however. As for the Savage article I read on twitter that they got complains about the length of it & are writing more on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

I shall be cancelling my subscription to FSM in the summer when it runs out though; It takes way too long to get to my house by post for some reason. Have seen it in shops two weeks before it arrives at my house, thus making the subscription pointless...
    Please send me an e-mail to brian (at) fightingspiritmagazine(dot co dot uk) and we'll work out what's going wrong. The issue normally arrives in Ireland the day after it hits doorsteps in England.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

hey brian, welcome to pw boards! good of u to sort that out :) I had the same problem with other english mags (PowerSlam and GamesMaster) so I just bought them in shops instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

I cancelled for the same reason, and never bought or re-subscribed to the mag again. That's a fair few years ago!

The real kicker was the person who replied to an email with something along the line of there only seems to be trouble in getting the magazine to you. It got to the stage with the delays that when I did eventually get the mag after various emails and arguments, I didn’t want to bother reading it.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    hey brian, welcome to pw boards! good of u to sort that out :) I had the same problem with other english mags (PowerSlam and GamesMaster) so I just bought them in shops instead.
    Thanks!

I'm biased - I decide upon the subject matter! - but I think FSM is currently covering pro wrestling (and relevant MMA) in the type of informative, thoughtful, and well-written manner that fans have been clamouring for for some time. Therefore, I don't want little things like subscription problems getting in the way of letting people see the good work that we are doing. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lads I cant emphasize this enough leave your prejudices built up towards FSM over the years at the door. I cant speak about the Subscription situation as I buy in the shops. But ever since the Brian took over it as editor is a completely different magazine. Gone are the badly edited articles on ****ty paper, gone are the fantasy booking & Alex Shane's articles. Last month's magazine was outstanding.

EDIT:
    Thanks!

I'm biased - I decide upon the subject matter! - but I think FSM is currently covering pro wrestling (and relevant MMA) in the type of informative, thoughtful, and well-written manner that fans have been clamouring for for some time. Therefore, I don't want little things like subscription problems getting in the way of letting people see the good work that we are doing. :)

Yeah, I view FSM as a post traditional Wrestling magazine and newsletter Pro Wrestling magazine. As arsey as that sounds.

jeffk wrote: »
    I cancelled for the same reason, and never bought or re-subscribed to the mag again. That's a fair few years ago!

The real kicker was the person who replied to an email with something along the line of there only seems to be trouble in getting the magazine to you. It got to the stage with the delays that when I did eventually get the mag after various emails and arguments, I didn’t want to bother reading it.
    I'm sorry that your query wasn't dealt with effectively back when you last bought the magazine. Anyone who has read FSM since I took over (December) will tell you that I've given everything a massive shake-up, so I'd like to think similar instances could not occur again.

I can't do this for anyone who's ever had a problem, but since you're the first to mention disilliusionment with the former product (since I first posted, anyway!), if you PM me with your address I'll send you a free copy of the latest issue.

I'm sorry that your query wasn't dealt with effectively back when you last bought the magazine. Anyone who has read FSM since I took over (December) will tell you that I've given everything a massive shake-up, so I'd like to think similar instances could not occur again.

I can't do this for anyone who's ever had a problem, but since you're the first to mention disilliusionment with the former product (since I first posted, anyway!), if you PM me with your address I'll send you a free copy of the latest issue.

Thanks Brian, this change over is news to me.

I never had much of a problem with the mag itself; it was the delivery and customer service issues that turned me off. Ok maybe too much MMA did creep in, but then I suppose you need to try and spread your wings and attract new customers/readers.

Thank you, I will gladly take you up on your kind offer, as today I looked at my first FSM in ages and seen an interview with Fit Finaly which would be nice to read. Also a piece on a luchador who worked with Mistico caught my eye, but on your site you have a different mag (last months with Danielson on it?) so I cannot say for sure what the full piece was about.

I will be sure to put up my thoughts on the mag when I have received and read it, I can say one thing that it’s nice to see you stuck with the more professional and glossy paper. Powerslam when I last read it had some really thin recycled paper that made it hard to justify paying over €5 for it.

Thank you, I will gladly take you up on your kind offer, as today I looked at my first FSM in ages and seen an interview with Fit Finaly which would be nice to read. Also a piece on a luchador who worked with Mistico caught my eye, but on your site you have a different mag (last months with Danielson on it?) so I cannot say for sure what the full piece was about.
    The Danielson cover is the brand new issue. Let me know if you want to receive that, or the previous issue (Christian cover) with the Finlay and lucha libre articles.

EDIT: Actually, if the moderators don't mind, I'll add some details about the new issue shortly, and you can decide which one you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Powerslam when I last read it had some really thin recycled paper that made it hard to justify paying over €5 for it.

Not only that most of it is recycled from the Wrestling Observer so for me it became redundant years ago. Also it is intensely snide and negative.

In contrast FSM you have columnists who "grew up" reading the Observer who then went onto to form their own unique opinions like Alan Couhian, Rob Naylor, Phil Schneider, David Ditch etc.

• Advertisement

The Danielson cover is the brand new issue. Let me know if you want to receive that, or the previous issue (Christian cover) with the Finlay and lucha libre articles.

EDIT: Actually, if the moderators don't mind, I'll add some details about the new issue shortly, and you can decide which one you want.

Sorry I took the Christian cover as this months issue, because in my local shop (Eason’s) there where loads of them like they had only arrived. Plus it’s the second week in the month.

I’ll take last month’s issue so please and I think it would be a good idea (if you’re allowed) to set up a FSM thread and update it as the new issues become available!

Advertisement