Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing for 12 yr old girls

• 30-01-2007 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me of any shops, around Dublin, that sell decent clothes for the near pre-teen.

Any shops I have brought my daughter in seem to perpetually want to keep her in pink and crappy looking clothes.

A bit of variety would be nice, etc - especially coming up to her confirmation - she is looking for a dress, and so far that type of outfit seems non - existant for her age group.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Faith123

My niece is 13 and loves to shop in New Look, in Liffey Valley.
    She talks about it all the time!
    but I'm not sure if they sell dresses?!?!

good luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

maybe debenhams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Femmy wrote:
    maybe debenhams?

tried debs in Henry Street/Jervis shopping centre - very poor selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'd second New Look. It's also not too expensive compared to other places. Some items are expensive but they should have clothes to suit most budgets :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    I'd second New Look. It's also not too expensive compared to other places. Some items are expensive but they should have clothes to suit most budgets :)

Guess I am going to Liffey Valley this weekend :) (the joys of being a "wallet")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

You could also try the Next or New Look catalogues online or call into the shops. Even if they don't have stuff in stock they will order it in for you. If you were really stuck you could get one made & make her outfit totally unique & be fun for you daughter picking materials & designs etc.

You're lucky your daughter wants to wear a dress, my daughter would only wear jeans for her confirmation.

Best of luck for the day, if you're like me you'll be crying at church! GOd only know what I'll be like when she gets married!

You could also try the Next or New Look catalogues online or call into the shops. Even if they don't have stuff in stock they will order it in for you. If you were really stuck you could get one made & make her outfit totally unique & be fun for you daughter picking materials & designs etc.

You're lucky your daughter wants to wear a dress, my daughter would only wear jeans for her confirmation.

Best of luck for the day, if you're like me you'll be crying at church! GOd only know what I'll be like when she gets married!

Ah I dont mind - there are only four major events as a dad I want to pay for :)

Communion, Confirmation, Debs, Wedding

or as I call it

Completely Crippling Debt Warning (to everyone else)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Remember that it's psychologically necessary for all 12-year-old girls to look like clones of their friends. It's cruel to resist this.

luckat wrote:
    Remember that it's psychologically necessary for all 12-year-old girls to look like clones of their friends. It's cruel to resist this.

Luckily then my daughter doesnt really care what her friends think of her clothes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

When I was her age I loved Miss Selfridge but it's really bad these days. It caters for those with straighter figures so that could maybe be suitable for her age. Then again their stuff is nasty these days compared to 8 years ago imo.

There's a place in Donnybrook called Petit or something like that. They seem to have loads of dresses in various colours and shapes. I've only driven by on a bus so I'm not sure what the stuff is like in general but when I saw the ones on the mannequins I wished I was 12 again.

If you're looking to splash out a bit more you could try the upstairs of BT2s. Some of the Ralph Lauren kids stuff is cute but a little pricy imo for someone who will inevitaly grow out of it quickly.

What sort of stuff does she usually wear?

• Advertisement

To be honest she wears whatever tickles her fancy - which ranges from combats and a hoodie to dresses to whatever

Time for more window shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Dunnes in Cornelscourt has some good stuff for kids that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

To be honest I think a lot of the stuff for 12 year olds in high street shops can be a bit too sluttish. Next have good quality kids clothes. Marks & Spencer have nice stuff too but can be hit and miss at times.

For a Confirmation outfit maybe Monsoon? Pricey but good for something special.

dame wrote:
    To be honest I think a lot of the stuff for 12 year olds in high street shops can be a bit too sluttish. Next have good quality kids clothes. Marks & Spencer have nice stuff too but can be hit and miss at times.

For a Confirmation outfit maybe Monsoon? Pricey but good for something special.

And where would Monsoon be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

New Look and Quiz @ Sasha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ph3n0m wrote:
    And where would Monsoon be?

Monsoon is a chain of shops. You'll find one in Dundurm and another on Grafton Street. A little bit more expensive than Topshop, Miss S, etc but nice for special occassion clothes.

Is your daughter 'adult sized'? Ie does she fit into clothes in the adult range in shops? I know I did at 12. If she is, obviously there's more shops y ou can try.

Looking back, I know my mum found it very difficult to buy me clothes at that age. The kids stuff is too kiddy and the adult stuff is too old (like maybe the neckline is too low).

Arnotts had some nice kids stuff, maybe they still do, not so sure as haven't looked in ages.

Pythia wrote:
    Is your daughter 'adult sized'? Ie does she fit into clothes in the adult range in shops? I know I did at 12. If she is, obviously there's more shops y ou can try.

She's tall but very slim - so she flits between them - but its tough to shop in one specific place

Incidentally - Quiz @ Sasha - where is that?

Sasha is another chain of shops. You'll probably find one in most major shopping centres.

If you know or meet any of her friends mothers they could give you good advice on suitable clothing as they're all trying to clothe girls of the same age and same stage with similar likes & dislikes.

dame wrote:
    If you know or meet any of her friends mothers they could give you good advice on suitable clothing as they're all trying to clothe girls of the same age and same stage with similar likes & dislikes.

true, but this way is much more fun - the looks I get when I go clothes shopping with my daughter are pretty funny (the long hair and the beard really throw people off)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ryano1122

I have had this problem looking for an Outfit for my 12 year old for her Confirmation. I got it in Chislers in Navan. Very pretty and very much for her age. A lot of her Pals got dresses in Monsoon which would be a little more glitzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

I would think that Monsoon is way to 'old' for a 12 year old, I would second New Look or even the old reliable Pennys.....I think the Blanchardtown centre has a great mix of shops and you should be able to find something there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Five year old thread. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement