Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Realm of the Mad God

• 07-03-2012 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

This is free to play and on steam. It's 2d topdown shooter on servers of up to 85 players. After certain tasks are completed, all players are teleported to the mad god's lair, where there is a fight to the death.

There is permadeath, which includes loss of inventory. It is monetised through microtransations that allow you to store a greater number of items in your vault (which survive your character), and to increase the number of concurrent characters you can have. This is a very good model imo because it doesn't offer unfair advantages in gameplay, but it does provide enough extra convenience that enough people will probably make use of it for it to be viable.

Upon death you acquire fame, which is both a score and a currency. Various acheivements unlock aspects fo the game such as different character classes.

You can teleport to the location off another player at any time, or you can teleport out of the realm altogether, This means that a bit of caution can keep your character alive indefinitely pretty much, theoretically. Unfortunately it is possible to die as a result of a lag spike, especially when fighting the mad god.

Worth checking out when it's free anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Also playable via browser - http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/ and there's an app in the chrome market as well.

A good game although I've never been able to stay alive for very long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I played this in the browser, is there any difference to the steam game.

Also when you get certain characters to level 20 you unlock new characters.

Great little game you don't NEED to work together but it makes leveling go so much faster plus all the phat l3wt. A priest healing a nicely tanked warrior who is capable of catching shots is invaluable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The steam game is flash so it should be the exact same as the game in the browser.

I was enjoying it too, but glitches in all three of my boss encounters put me off: Two lag deaths (might be my end for that one), and one unopenable wine cellar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I just started playing this yesterday. It's good for a few hours of fun.

Advertisement