Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Longford Bypass (under construction)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭The Westerner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

would any one be able to take any photos?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

N4 running lanes are now pushed over to the side to allow for work to begin on the RAB at that end of this scheme.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any completion date on this?

yop wrote: »
    Any completion date on this?

it should be complete around october.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

It says it'll be finished in November on their contractors site..
    http://www.willsbros.com/Road_and_Bridge_Construction/122/project-page.html

It says it'll be finished in November on their contractors site..
    http://www.willsbros.com/Road_and_Bridge_Construction/122/project-page.html

When it was shown on rte news it said it would be complete around october 2012

anyone going to take any photos of the road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

anyone going to take any photos of the road?

I dunno. Often asked that myself....maybe cameras haven't reached Longford yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

will stick a few pics up tomorrow. will be down that way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

N4 is now running around the (quite small, I feel) RAB at the end of this scheme.

What is a quite small RAB? :confused:

roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

Hi all!

Have been following this thread a bit myself - but just so happened to be passing through Longford at the weekend - so I took a few snaps - they were while the car was moving [I was passegner ;) ] so they may not be that great - but if you know the area you should be able to decipher them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What is a quite small RAB?

Reichsautobahn perhaps? Is there one planned for Longford?

1943_Reichsautobahn_5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PJ.Harte

Here is a link to some photo's we took last week, Mostly Aerial Photographs..

https://vimeo.com/41287801

PJ

PJ.Harte wrote: »

PJ

Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

PJ.Harte wrote: »

PJ

Thanks pj, would you post some more if you get any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Looks a fine piece of road. Pity they are not making it 2+2 like the Castleisland bypass, assume it's still Single Carriageway?

No it only gonna be a Type 2 single carriageway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ascii wrote: »
    No it only gonna be a Type 2 single carriageway
    From the video, I'm really amazed at the width of the road, and generous engineering specs. Looks like a lot of levelling had to take place.
    The reservation seems very wide for a singler.

from talking to the engineers, it turns out that there is 3 metre verges along the whole road, therefor in the future if they ever want to make a dual carriageway out of it the bulk work is done, merely surfacing and re-lining. They structures were also built wide enough to along for the future works with 4 metre wide hard shoulders on each of the bridges

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ascii wrote: »
    from talking to the engineers, it turns out that there is 3 metre verges along the whole road, therefor in the future if they ever want to make a dual carriageway out of it the bulk work is done, merely surfacing and re-lining. They structures were also built wide enough to along for the future works with 4 metre wide hard shoulders on each of the bridges
    Sounds great that they future proof it, but I highly doubt you'd ever need dual here? They should really be rerouting the N5 elsewhere, as discussed before.

If they ever intended to dual it, they'd need to dual part of the current Longford BP and its access road to the future N4 DC from Mullingar to Roosky. Unlikely.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Sounds great that they future proof it, but I highly doubt you'd ever need dual here? They should really be rerouting the N5 elsewhere, as discussed before.

AADT is very low.... no chance of it ever becoming a dual carriageway

Given the circuitousness of the route I wonder what % N4 - N5 traffic will use it rather than go through town?

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Given the circuitousness of the route I wonder what % N4 - N5 traffic will use it rather than go through town?

Its quite likely to be a LOT quicker for N5->N4 traffic but don't think it'll have the same effect the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I'm sure a few masochists will continue going through the town, but as a local I would imagine anyone who values their time in the slightest will use it.

Along the current N5 route through the town you have:
    1. The end of the Ballinalee Road (the last portion of which was redesignated from R194 to N5 when the original bypass was built) is on a T-junction where traffic coming into the town must yield to vast amounts of local traffic coming up and down the old Dublin Road.
    2. Traffic in the town can often be a nightmare itself.
    3. Traffic lights at the Longford arms and a narrow route down Richmond Street.
    Circuitous or not, the only logical reason for not using the bypass when finished is if you want to stop in the town, e.g. to grab a take away from Luigis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

MYOB wrote: »
    Its quite likely to be a LOT quicker for N5->N4 traffic but don't think it'll have the same effect the other way.

They could dual it in one direction then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 erratic

BTW the Lisbrack road has reopened

Advertisement