Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Mod warning post #36* Dog escaping boundary - Advice on securing him?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

ISDW wrote: »
    Until I moved back to Ireland 5 years ago, I hadn't met a single dog owner that didn't keep their dogs indoors. That was in the UK. I do now know some UK owners who's dog sleep outside in purpose built kennels, but the dogs spent part of every day in the house with their owners. Those people have large packs of working dogs, so it is not practical for all of the dogs to sleep indoors every night.

Unfortunately it seems to be an Irish thing to keep dogs outdoors, and to allow them to roam (I know you're trying to stop a dog from roaming, but it appears only because its in danger of worrying livestock, if that wasn't an issue, would you bother keeping the dog enclosed in a garden?) Tell English people that you have dogs and they never go into your house, see what they say.

+ 1

I also lived in the UK for many years. I mainly lived in an urban environment and never come across anyone who did not allow their dogs to live inside the house.

Some people in Ireland think that all animals should be kept ouside, something I cannot understand if the animal is a pet. All my animals are allowed to use the garden and the house. I do restrict them to one part of the house though, where I have wooden floors and covers on the furniture and this enables me to keep this area clean and fresh.

One day A local farmer called and was sitting in the area where my animals are allowed and commented that he would never allow animals in the house because they are filthy. This man had hands that were black with muck and his clothes were not much better :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ISDW wrote: »
    Until I moved back to Ireland 5 years ago, I hadn't met a single dog owner that didn't keep their dogs indoors. That was in the UK. I do now know some UK owners who's dog sleep outside in purpose built kennels, but the dogs spent part of every day in the house with their owners. Those people have large packs of working dogs, so it is not practical for all of the dogs to sleep indoors every night.

Unfortunately it seems to be an Irish thing to keep dogs outdoors, and to allow them to roam (I know you're trying to stop a dog from roaming, but it appears only because its in danger of worrying livestock, if that wasn't an issue, would you bother keeping the dog enclosed in a garden?) Tell English people that you have dogs and they never go into your house, see what they say.
    my bully sleeps on the bottom of my bed, my love life has gone to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

dusf wrote: »
    Reported for what.... you have completely over reacted to what we said, failing to even read properly and completely what we said, and then resorting to insulting us as lazy and implying with do not care about our dogs.

Report away, just save the rhetoric for some street corner please.

Many many people allow large dogs in their house. Litterally thousands and those that look after their homes and dogs dont have smelly or dirty homes. To insinuate otherwise is insulting and displays ignorance.

I have kept Great Danes, Boxers, Labs, and various mutts in my house, all were house trained, exercised regularly and spent most of their time with the family. They had their coats brushed, were ashed regularly, treated for flees and ticks and had all their vaccinations.

The only issue was with marks they put on cheap wood floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Honestly I do not mean to offend you, but most people probably would not tell you they get a scent of dogs of you or your home etc.

Hmmm and yet you have offended me.

You are welcome to come and get a whiff of my house anytime deary.

I find your sweeping statements about people who keep large dogs indoors being strange and smelly (amongst other things), ignorant, narrow-minded and uneducated to say the least.

I will keep my thoughts on what I think of people who leave their dogs outdoors cos they're too 'big and dirty and smelly' to have inside, and when they get out, consider getting them adopted or putting them to sleep rather than address the issue, to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Last warning - no more insulting and no advocating any form of violence.

Anyone else posting about how indoor dogs' houses smell or how outdoor dogs' owners don't care will get an automatic 24hr ban.

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Hmmm and yet you have offended me.

You are welcome to come and get a whiff of my house anytime deary.

I find your sweeping statements about people who keep large dogs indoors being strange and smelly (amongst other things), ignorant, narrow-minded and uneducated to say the least.

I will keep my thoughts on what I think of people who leave their dogs outdoors cos they're too 'big and dirty and smelly' to have inside, and when they get out, consider getting them adopted or putting them to sleep rather than address the issue, to myself.
    thats why so many stray dogs in ireland are put down or even sent to the UK for adopting,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Actually I would agree with you OP when you say large dogs shouldn't be in the house all the time. I love my labrador but if he were inside all day my house would reek! some people will probably suggest "wash him in the bath then!" , I am 5ft 4, weigh less than 8st so that is asking for the impossible :eek: Just because I don't let him sleep inside doesn't mean I love him any less than people who let theirs sleep inside, I think the fact I post pics of him loving life in the picture thread every other day proves that :D

OP If possible could a wooden fence be put up? i'm not sure how expensive it is though. Or I think the dog run a few posts up would be ideal although if you have two labradors fencing the place off might be more cost effective

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A dog is a dog is a dog...they all love to roll in questionable stuff- indoor or outdoor dogs...they all smell from time to time no matter what type of dog they are..and usually on a day when there's no hot water :rolleyes:

OP hope you get your fencing sorted, I know it's difficult with a larger area with the info on here and a bit of shopping around you're bound to find a type of fencing or enclosure that works and will keep the dogs happy and safe and you worry free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Spunk84 wrote: »
    for 20-40e you can buy steel builders fences like below. 4 panels and theres a dog run! Get it sorted man or you will be lumbered with a bill if the dog attacks or causes harm to farm animals.

View2-10382658.jpeg

That looks like a great solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Surely you can not say all people in the UK keep their dogs indoors! That's preposterous.

No, that's true. I'm English. No-one I know keeps their dogs outside. They run the risk of the dogs being taken from the garden. Dognapping is rife in London where I'm from. Nor do they let the dogs out to roam on the roads. Risk of the dog being picked up by the RSPCA or police and destroyed without reference to the owner.

If you keep the dog clean as well as your home, then it shoudn't smell. I've kept cats and dogs indoors (I had Dobermans in the UK and have a Shih Tzu now). My home doesn't smell, and nobody's complained my house is dirty.

Hope you can get the problem sorted OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

We used chainlink about 8ft high and nailed it to old ESB poles, they couldn't dig under or climb over.

On one boundary we planted trees and a natural ditch followed but put sheep and chicken wire buried in the ground before the ditch took hold.

We have four dogs, they never get out unless by human error, gate open etc.

And now for my confession...

I am weird, smelly, odd, crazy, mental, mad and looney as my little JRT and her bessie mates the GSD and the Rotties sleep inside and have access to the house all day.

I like to think I live in a very upmarket well designed kennell.:p

It keeps the nosey neighbours away, my friends tell me if it stinks, but it hasn't put them off visiting or eating in my kennell!

Teach them this

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Looks good, the thing is the ground is uneven and on many different levels.
    Please note that if you do put down a fence, you'll need to dig a bit to ensure the fence goes a foot underground, to ensure that the dog doesn't "wriggle" under the fence; tent pegs are only a temporary measure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Looks good, the thing is the ground is uneven and on many different levels. I will try to take some pictures over the weekend and put them up.

The simple fact of the matter is that any enclosure is going to take either money or effort.
    You would have to dig a trench for a fence/run in any case, so unless the ground is really bad everywhere (rare in most plots of land) a run is probably the easiest option.

But to be honest, regardless of the enclosure, I think training is the right thing to do here.

We have two big dogs, whom we keep inside most of the time, but let out regularly for runs, and we live in the country, so there are cows, sheep, donkeys and horses in the fields next to us almost all of the time. So, when they are out, we need to be able to trust them. It took some time, but they now both ignore the beasties - they will occasionally bark at them if they have appeared in the field overnight, or if one of them strays into our garden, but that I can live with.

And the simple act of spending time with the dog, engaging his doggy brain on learning something (because the breed you have loves to learn) will help keep him entertained enough to stay closer to home. It's win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I too spent many years in the UK & working with animals including dogs. I was mainly in the countryside & even there it would be very rare to find a dog sleeping outside - it would be frowned on. One of the first things that I noticed on my return was the sound of barking dogs - you rarely hear this in rural England.

Site fencing should be available cheaply as there's not much building work going on - but maybe it's all in use for the ghost estates ! The proper site fencing, that slots into concrete stands, is pretty good. But you do need to clamp or wire the sections together & there is quite a gap at the bottom.

Personally I find it amazing that people will go to so much trouble & expense when it is so easy to keep the dogs indoors. Right now my three are happily snoozing on a single bed that takes up about 1 sq metre of floor space.

Discodog wrote: »
    I too spent many years in the UK & working with animals including dogs. I was mainly in the countryside & even there it would be very rare to find a dog sleeping outside - it would be frowned on. One of the first things that I noticed on my return was the sound of barking dogs - you rarely hear this in rural England.

Site fencing should be available cheaply as there's not much building work going on - but maybe it's all in use for the ghost estates ! The proper site fencing, that slots into concrete stands, is pretty good. But you do need to clamp or wire the sections together & there is quite a gap at the bottom.

Personally I find it amazing that people will go to so much trouble & expense when it is so easy to keep the dogs indoors. Right now my three are happily snoozing on a single bed that takes up about 1 sq metre of floor space.
    i notice that the queen has five corgis that live in her private apartments,so if its good enough for her majesty ,its good enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

getz wrote: »
    i notice that the queen has five corgis that live in her private apartments,so if its good enough for her majesty ,its good enough for me

Which queen? None in Ireland thankfully.

Some dog owners are unreal. Enough fawning towards other countries. Each country is different.

Which queen? None in Ireland thankfully.

Some dog owners are unreal. Enough fawning towards other countries. Each country is different.
    i take it you believe belfast is in scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

getz wrote: »
    i take it you believe belfast is in scotland

Not at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

There is another world out there, besides Ireland.

Its not a question of fawning towards other countries, its people showing their experience of life.

Advertisement