Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time for Occupy Waterford to go

• 29-02-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Today is February 29th, the Occupy crew have had there scanty town blighting the clock tower for about 4 months now. It is time for them to go. It is unoccupied most of the time, serves no purpose whatsoever and has only marginal support from the community.

It is the beginning of the major tourist season in Waterford city. In a couple of weeks there will be the 1848 Tricolour Celebration, then the St. Patricks Day parade, then the summer will bring Sparoi and in September the Harvest Festival. All great events, run by dedicated people who truly care about the future of the city. We need the quay cleared of this ramshackle group of tents and hoarding.

I say to “the Occupiers” It is time for you to go. You have made your point and nobody cared about it. For the good of this city move on.

If the persons behind occupy wish to protest and create a political movement then do that, do not just sit in a tent and whinge about parking fines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It should be bulldozed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Occupy waterford - An example of what happens when people get bored of being bored on the dole

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

invalid wrote: »
    do not just sit in a tent

Are they even doing this anymore though?

I've driven passed and walked passed the tents a number of time around 9pm and 10pm at night and there's never been any signs of life, no lights, no people, no noise...nothing other then the remains of a shanty town that nobody has any interest in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There rarely there, iv seen them once in the past two weeks and iv been in the area throughout the afternoon and late evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Cabaal wrote: »
    Are they even doing this anymore though?

I've driven passed and walked passed the tents a number of time around 9pm and 10pm at night and there's never been any signs of life, no lights, no people, no noise...nothing other then the remains of a shanty town that nobody has any interest in.

If they are abandoned at night what's stopping someone going in and chucking the whole lot into a lorry and problem solved! :D Ahem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It'd be great if there was a festival on around now. Handy access to a few cheap tents! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

i really get the feeling that they really want to be "evicted" so they can have there go at "the Man". They seem to be the same type of group as sort of fools who think that protesting means having a riot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

i really get the feeling that they really want to be "evicted" so they can have there go at "the Man". They seem to be the same type of group as sort of fools who think that protesting means having a riot.

Sure there never there. It wouldn't take long to clear the site. By the time they get told / notice it would be pretty much all done.

I don't understand why the council are taking so long and even allowing it. If I put up a sign on the clock tower (as they done) or erected a tent for the craic they wouldn't be long about asking me to take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

When did they have a riot?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

An occupy movement without any occupation? How apt.

Handy though, an abandoned tent for anyone going to the euro finals, festival, etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyone up for doing some litter picking up on the quays some night, I'm sure Tidy Towns is coming up soon so we need to make a good job of it.

Some muppets have left a pile of pallets and camping crap around the bus stop so we're going to need big bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I say to “the Occupiers” It is time for you to go. You have made your point and nobody cared about it. For the good of this city move on.

Or, if they are locals, "Go wayyyyyyyy boi" should be enough

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

How about we occupy "Occupy Waterford" in protest.........

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Only people i see using it are junkies now. Shooting up indoors out of most peoples way is the only good point of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i,m thinking why not just get a gallon of petrol and firebomb the camp, be easier to sweep up ashes than to lob all that crap of there,s into a skip!!!!

Any occupiers lurking reading this ???
    We invite you to come forth and comment as to why you feel the need to litter property of the 99%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I think if the mess was cleared up during the late hours of the night there would be no hassle e.g. hippys chaining themselves to trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭tobey

i slept in one the tent one night pissed with a few me mates, the junkie problem is serious tho as i seen the resident junkies (every body knows the same three guys always seen in red square, one of them with lovely dubarriess with his trackies) in there a ridicilious ammount. always around half ten/elevan in the night on my way home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I don't understand why the council are taking so long and even allowing it. If I put up a sign on the clock tower (as they done) or erected a tent for the craic they wouldn't be long about asking me to take it down.

and fine you for the pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

wmpdd3 wrote: »

and fine you for the pleasure
    theres a reason why its still there though deserted it distracts from the lunacy taking place round the gpo, they are putting a roundabout there that wouldnt be out of place on the orr...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I say to you you have made your point, nobody cares about Waterford and it's not a city!

Dermighty wrote: »
    I say to you you have made your point, nobody cares about Waterford and it's not a city!

Get back under your bridge

Dermighty wrote: »

I'm telling Sully on you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Nypd wrote: »
    Get back under your bridge

I dont ever wanna feeeeeeeeeel like I did that day......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Where did this tool come out of? Go back to the Cork forum.

Anybody wanna just go kick it down tomorrow at lunch? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Where did this tool come out of? Go back to the Cork forum.

Anybody wanna just go kick it down tomorrow at lunch? :pac:
    am workin til bout half 2, how bout then???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

What makes me laugh is that the corpo have stringent rules on shop signs around the town, but it seems it depends on who is putting up the sign if they complain or not. For example, when world of wonder setup on the ring road years ago, they were made to take down their sign, as the corpo would not give them permission, so in the interim they put upo a banner. I think they said the colour (purple) was too gaudy. This was on the ring road in a retail area. Yet, a printing company set up on the Mall, with a big "yellow" sign, which looked completely out of sync with the rest of the buildings on the mall, yet, this was deemed by our distinguished sausage fingered friends as acceptable.
    So, a big banner on the clock tower is probably acceptable as well.

Back to the main point, surely if its true that druggies are using the tents to shoot up, then the Garda have an opportunity to dismantle and get rid of the tents and rubbish.
    And whats with these part time anarchists, home to their beds at night, what kind of occupation is that. Remove the tents and say adios to the scruffy clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

IIRC, there was an Occupy waterford guy on WLR a few weeks back. He more or less said that their 'occupation' was over.

Once there were four occupy leaders. Their names were: Somebody, Everybody, Anybody, and Nobody. When the occupation came to an end, they all assumed everybody would dismantled the camp.However Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.
    Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did. When Nobody did it, Everybody got angry because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought that Somebody would do it, but Nobody realized that Nobody would do it. So consequently Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done in the first place.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    IIRC, there was an Occupy waterford guy on WLR a few weeks back. He more or less said that their 'occupation' was over.

Once there were four occupy leaders. Their names were: Somebody, Everybody, Anybody, and Nobody. When the occupation came to an end, they all assumed everybody would dismantled the camp.However Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.
    Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did. When Nobody did it, Everybody got angry because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought that Somebody would do it, but Nobody realized that Nobody would do it. So consequently Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done in the first place.

^^^ /mind blown. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Could they not get whatshisface to do it?

Advertisement