Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Barbarians Gloucester, 29 May NO TV, NO STREAMS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

JustinDee wrote: »
    I'm a competitive soul. Always have been. My own experience in both codes of rugby shapes my view (seen as optimism here). Nothing else. I just don't share everything here on the internet.
    Remember, as I said before, every opinion I post here is mine. No-one else's.

It’s an opinion that has clearly been coloured by the groupthink that is obviously rife within the IRFU organisation. At times you can actually be an example for the posters who claim “the blazers” are out of touch with the general Irish supporter, who buy the tickets to pay their salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It’s an opinion that has clearly been coloured by the groupthink that is obviously rife within the IRFU organisation
    Utterly unqualified and way off the mark. Actually pretty silly to say given the massive and diverse array of folk you're lumping into one.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    At times you can actually be an example for the posters who claim “the blazers” are out of touch with the general Irish supporter, who buy the tickets to pay their salary.
    Subjective and obviously posted by someone who doesn't know me.

Argue over this if you want. I'm not going to waste a second more on this bilge.
    That's the polite sound off anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I'm a competitive soul. Always have been. My own experience in both codes of rugby shapes my view (seen as optimism here). Nothing else. I just don't share everything here on the internet.

That's a fair point. But what I think you don't understand about the mentality of most of us on here is that we're all competitive souls; we want our national team to be competitive, to challenge for titles on a regular basis and we believe we have the players to do it. What riles us up is seeing that opportunity to compete being squandered by what we regard as poor coaching, tactics and team selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Again Justin I wasn't having a go at you, in fact i was defending where I felt your opinion, which is absolutely your own opinion, might be coming from. Just putting that out there btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Utterly unqualified and way off the mark. Actually pretty silly to say given the massive and diverse array of folk you're lumping into one.

Subjective and obviously posted by someone who doesn't know me.

Argue over this if you want. I'm not going to waste a second more on this bilge.
    That's the polite sound off anyway.

Bilge? If it is fair to question a fan of a province for their bias I can’t see any issue in questioning the bias of someone who consistently defends the company he works for and his colleagues, despite them many times being in the wrong. In your posts I have seen in the last 24 hours you have defended the Barbarians match being played in Gloucester, the lack of TV coverage, the size of the Irish squad, the fact that Gilroy didn’t make the squad, Marshall getting only 3 minutes and that’s without even looking at your post history. From that small sample I don’t think it is unfair to question whether you are affected by groupthink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

My own experience in both codes of rugby shapes my view (seen as optimism here).

I apologise for accusing you of optimism Justin, I won't do it again.

Your views shaped by both codes is wrong and has been for 3+ seasons now. The wait and see approach has failed. Kidney has failed. His selection policies have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I dont mind having someone here who provides an alternative view, it wouldn't really be interesting if everyone agreed on everything, and having someone to balance things up stops things going a bit over the top on certain issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You should get drunk before ya post Justin, your way too measured and conservative in your points for some random fan on the internet.

We need passion man !! unbridled rage !! "God damn it I made the IRFU !!" type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone hear about rumors that Dr. Phil and ROG got in a punch up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

While it would have been nice to get the win I'm not too disappointed as that was a strong BaaBaa team. This was more of an A game for Ireland than anything so results wouldn't always be the main thing here.

Of course not having seen it it can be hard to gauge but we now have Cave, Zebo, Gilroy, Tuohy, POM, Henry, Sherry, Wilkinson, and Fitzpatrick all getting game time in an Irish jersey and showing what they can do. As well as ROG and Murray getting in some extra match fitness.

I would have liked Marshall to have gotten alot longer than 3 mins as it does like he is very much the third choice scrum half and won't be playing again until October unless injuries force it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    I think everyone would love to see that. Great rivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

.ak wrote: »
    Aye I heard rog got the stuffing knocked out of him after a few awry comments to contepomi after the game.

Friend of mine does some work for the IRFU and he mentioned it to me in passing, apparently Filipe got some serious slaps on ROG. Surprised it wasn't picked up on.

Was it after the match in the tunnel or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We have video evidence that the game actually happened, albeit it's a shaky camera effort from a supporter and it's Mike Tindall scoring a try as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG5qrAyjLV4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

bilston wrote: »
    We have video evidence that the game actually happened, albeit it's a shaky camera effort from a supporter and it's Mike Tindall scoring a try as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG5qrAyjLV4

That won't do much for Earl's defence case!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

CatFromHue wrote: »

I thought earls was playing 15? Could be wrong though. That shows 13s tackle no?

Actually Cave was pretty poor there too, which is unusual for him. But more the point, Earl's positioning was awkward and behind the gainline...

budhabob wrote: »
    I thought earls was playing 15? Could be wrong though. That shows 13s tackle no?

They both tackle him. Earls and Cave. Earls looks to be the first tackler, Cave tries to hold him up. Poor technique from both players tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think it's almost identical to that O'Malley non-tackle on Donald against Bath. It looks like terrible defence, and it was a mistake, but the first person going low (in this case Earls, v Bath I think it was Jennings) is expected to make the tackle and Cave goes high to try hold up the ball. O'Malley did the same thing, but v Bath Jennings pulled out and it looks even worse, this time Earls did actually make the tackle but it wasn't a great one.

It's a tough one really and probably splitting hairs, poor defence by both I would say, which is unusual and both have been excellent this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

:confused:

It was Cave, Tindall set him well and just rolled over him. Managed to catch him trying to make up his mind between tackling the man - tackling the ball - preventing the pass.

Jesus, didn't even see Earls after 5 times of watching that!

• Advertisement

emmet02 wrote: »

It was Cave, Tindall set him well and just rolled over him. Managed to catch him trying to make up his mind between tackling the man - tackling the ball - preventing the pass.

Earls was first tackler, or first attempted tackler anyway.

emmet02 wrote: »

The back line was Wallace, Earls, and Cave with Earls making the first tackle/contact on Tindall. Cave didn't do himself any favours there either though.

In Caves defence there he was on Tindells outside shoulder to cut off the offload (I think). Earls shot out straight and failed to bring Tindell down.

Then again Gilroy was outside him facing nobody so maybe Cave didnt need to drift so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think Earls and Cave may hope more footage from yesterdays game appears quickly otherwise we'll have nothing else to talk about about that try until the team for the 1st test is announced next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0530/1224316915928.html

Kidney remains upbeat despite disjointed performance

" the scrum travails were worrying in the light of the hamstring injury Mike Ross is currently nursing.

Declan Fitzpatrick appeared in less discomfort in this area but in mitigation Irish loosehead Brett Wilkinson was up against the formidable John Afoa; Wilkinson was in trouble. In the first scrum, Ireland were shunted backwards, in the second penalised, the third conceded a free kick.

Fitzpatrick was replaced by Connacht’s Ronan Loughney on 56 minutes but what was arguably more instructive was the Ulster player’s return on 67 minutes. Loughney moved to loosehead and Ireland forced a penalty. Wilkinson did contribute admirably around the pitch, demonstrating his fitness but scrum time would be a concern."

"The main cause was the lack of speed to the tackled player and a deficiency in numbers. Henry limped off forcing Andrew Trimble to come on and play in the backrow, while number eight O’Mahony was also replaced, having soldiered for most of the game with a shoulder/neck problem."

"On a night when Irish players struggled to rise above the mediocre, Craig Gilroy’s produced a stunning performance not just in scoring a brace of tries but in his role as creator. "

How can he be upbeat about any of this; Fitzpatrick + Loughney combo and Gilroy aside the rest of it sounds like a friggin mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Henry limped off and POM played with a shoulder/neck problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Henry limped off and POM played with a shoulder/neck problem?

Kidney doesn't seem overly concerned about their injuries, I reckon they were precautionary subs in what was a rather meaningless match in terms of the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Blackheath

I was at the game last night and I thought that Murray also had a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Blackheath wrote: »
    I was at the game last night and I thought that Murray also had a good game.

any more for us to feed on? We neeeeed more analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Blackheath

Keith Earls, a steady game, took his try well but got caught once in defence organised the two wings in defence
    Craig Gilroy, MOTM, involved in everything positive always looked a dangerous when he got the ball. This man has to travel to New Zealand
    Darren Cave A bit disappointed with him was at fault for 1 try, looked good going forward at times.
    Paddy Wallace A steady game was good in defence
    Simon Zebo Took his try well but average other than that, played 2nd fiddle to his opposite wing
    Ronan O'Gara Good game, kicking was very good and settled us down when it was needed.
    Conor Murray Had a good game looked very strong and alway probing made a few breaks
    Brett Wilkinson Under pressure from the start in the scrum actually looked a little unfit.The scrum settled in the 2nd half, especiallly when he departed
    Mike Sherry His throw looked good, the scrum was under pressure but he was mobile in the loose.
    Declan Fitzpatrick, tough start for him but settled and finished well but Loughney looked a better bet
    Dan Tuohy He looked phyically strong and fast. Done well in the line out, better than his replacement.
    Donnacha Ryan Had a steady game, looked strong, still POC natural partner
    John Muldoon Looked a little slow to the ball and was alway under pressure.
    Chris Henry Not Henry best game looked a little slow and unfit. He did start ok but faded as the 1st hald went on.
    Peter O'Mahony Played well, carried the ball well. Ireland lost a lot of forward power when he went off.

Advertisement