Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trucks on motorway

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I watched a LWB van overtake on the hard shoulder to pass 2 trucks.

Wow, that's just beyond insane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

OSI wrote: »
    Only going to become more common when the likes of the Nissan Leaf and Renault Flatulence ZE start becoming more common on the road and their drivers have to do 80KM/H just to make it as far as Cork from Dublin.

Renault Flatulence ZE silent but deadly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CiniO wrote: »
    Buses are not prohibited from using right hand lane since their limit on motorways changed from 80km/h to 100km/h which was AFAIR in April 2009.

But no matter what, RSA keeps publishing information that they are prohibited from using right hand lane on motorways. It's worded in their ROTR from 2010, and it's in their leaflet about motorway driving from 2012.

Yet another case of the ROTR not reflecting the actual law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I watched a LWB van overtake on the hard shoulder to pass 2 trucks.[/QUOTE]

This happens a lot on the M1 especially from the Boyne Bridge northbound, if there are two trucks taking up the two lanes, vans, cars, motorbikes overtake in the hard shoulder, and travelling at 100/120KPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Well, Today I saw the Truck drivers side of things, I was behind some ****ing self righteous gob****e who merged onto the motorway at......40KMPH and proceeded to take a longer run to get to 120 than a fully loaded 747. All while a truck was in the slow lane, I would have been boxed in and out of slip road, but the truck driver let me out and away from the retard. ( thanks you Truck driver!) How am I likely to be paying more insurance than this geriatric female clown??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As a sales rep I drive a lot and see trucks obeying and disobeying rules day in and day out but I have to tell myself "It is not my job to police the roads" and other people need to remember this as well.

Trucks do overtake often doing 1 km/h faster than the other truck but this can be due to anything. Heavier load and approaching a hill when starting the manouever. It doesn't bother me because I know that once he does move back in(or she for the haters out there) then I will just go back to my original speed and still get to my destination in a quick time compared to the early 2000's. ;)

Bus's. That 100kmh is a new one on me because I was wondering how their speed limiter were breaching the 80km/h limit but again see point 1, not my job to police the roads.

I assumed that trucks were allowed to overtake in the right lane of a Motorway if it were a 2 lane motorway and only banned from the 3rd(outer lane) of a Motorway such as the M50. I have never seen a C+ license using the 3rd lane of the M50 except on the M1 Interchange as mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Bus's. That 100kmh is a new one on me because I was wondering how their speed limiter were breaching the 80km/h limit but again see point 1, not my job to police the roads.
    Since speed limiters were introduced for buses, the limit set was 100km/h.
    However motorway speed limit for buses indeed was 80km/h until 2009 when it changed to 100km/h.

I assumed that trucks were allowed to overtake in the right lane of a Motorway if it were a 2 lane motorway and only banned from the 3rd(outer lane)[/QUOTE]

They are banned from using most right lane no matter if motorway has 2, 3, or 10 lanes.

Was on the N4 today. I Overtook 2 trucks doing 120kmh. Had a volvo about 300 meters behind me catching me fast. 2nd truck pulled straight out in front of him. It took about 3 kms before the trucks cleared each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Was on the N4 today. I Overtook 2 trucks doing 120kmh. Had a volvo about 300 meters behind me catching me fast. 2nd truck pulled straight out in front of him. It took about 3 kms before the trucks cleared each other.

Trucks doing 120km/h? Your speedometer is well off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

BX 19 wrote: »
    I understood 120km/h was his speed not the speed the trucks were doing.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I understood 120km/h was his speed not the speed the trucks were doing.

Yeah my speed. I reckon the volvo was above 140km. When he caught up to me again he disappeared quickly.

So often people write about those flying trucks, but I must say that I've never seen a truck doing more than 90km/h.
    Maybe I'm just unlucky that I never meet the faster ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yeah my speed. I reckon the volvo was above 140km. When he caught up to me again he disappeared quickly.
    i dont think it would be geared high enough to do 140kmph
    the one i drive does between 1600-1800 at 90kmph and would need to do 2700rpm to get to 140, the redline starts at 2200

guil wrote: »
    the one i drive does between 1600-1800 at 90kmph and would need to do 2700rpm to get to 140, the redline starts at 2200

The volvo was a car. . The 2nd truck pulled straight into the OT lane straight in front of the volvo car. Both The trucks were doing about 90kmh for the next 3 or 4 kms side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭bigroad

Well the one i drive shows 1000rpm at 80kmh so at 2000rpm it will do 160kmh thats not at the red line.A good hill would be handy to get that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

A 143 would not be far off it in its hay day...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bigroad wrote: »
    Well the one i drive shows 1000rpm at 80kmh so at 2000rpm it will do 160kmh thats not at the red line.A good hill would be handy to get that far.

rpm and speed don't quite correlate like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

-Corkie- wrote: »
    A 143 would not be far off it in its hay day...:P
    With every fuse pulled out of the thing!

rpm and speed don't quite correlate like that...

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    No?

So how do they correlate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The volvo was a car. . The 2nd truck pulled straight into the OT lane straight in front of the volvo car. Both The trucks were doing about 90kmh for the next 3 or 4 kms side by side.

For some reason it was clear to me, but let the big boys figure it out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CiniO wrote: »
    So often people write about those flying trucks, but I must say that I've never seen a truck doing more than 90km/h.
    Maybe I'm just unlucky that I never meet the faster ones.

Without a limiter maybe?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/trucking-hell-3

I know it's possible to remove limiter, or maybe even not install one at all.
    I know there probably are some trucks like that on the roads.
    I just said that I have never seen any of those in my life (or at least in the last 5 years since I got interested in it).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnson901

Truck drivers move into the outside lane to overtake slow fools like you holding up the road, into the slow lane please!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

johnson901 wrote: »
    Truck drivers move into the outside lane to overtake slow fools like you holding up the road, into the slow lane please!!
    Where is this make believe place of which you speak?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Trucks are now allowed into the overtaking lane on a Motorway also they are allowed to travel at 90kph..

http://www.irha.ie/enews/outsidelane.pdf

http://www.irha.ie/enews/increasedspeed.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Trucks are now allowed into the overtaking lane on a Motorway also they are allowed to travel at 90kph..

The new legislations prohibits them from using the overtaking lane unless there's an obstruction or the left hand lane is close.

except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic

Not sure if you can try to claim that a car moving at 80km/h is an obstruction, but seeing as how it's unlikely to ever be tested in court, it's (the legislation) a bit irrelevant tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This legislation is identical to the old legislation but with the new limit - the exact same rules apply, and HGVs are *still* not allowed in the outermost lane except when the inner lane(s) are obstructed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭blackwhite

MYOB wrote: »
    This legislation is identical to the old legislation but with the new limit - the exact same rules apply, and HGVs are *still* not allowed in the outermost lane except when the inner lane(s) are obstructed

Just thinking, this change means that buses are now caught by the legislation again and under the law are no longer allowed enter the outermost lane in ordinary circumstances.
    But as I said, it really doesn't make any difference because it's not like it'll ever be enforced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And I still won't mind of trucks have to overtake a doddery old lady in her Micra doing 75 km/h in the left lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

And I still won't mind of trucks have to overtake a doddery old lady in her Micra doing 75 km/h in the left lane.

I have no problem with it either, just stop doing it when i'm only 200m behind you in the outside lane doing 60km/hr more than that:rolleyes:

Advertisement