Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lagging/insulating pipes and expansion tank in attic

• 23-09-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi guys want to get this done before winter really sets in again.

Is it an easy DIY job or should I get a professional?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its a very easy job. You dont lag the bottom of the tank ie under it and use pipe lagging in 1/2" and 3/4" on the pipes...

Anyone really could do this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

As Joey says its an easy job, if the tank is raised you need to insulate the base but most don't bother though I think it should be done and if its sitting on the joists make sure that the loft insulation come up the side of the tank. You can buy ready made insulation for water tanks and a lid is always a good idea as are bye law water kits with screened overflow and vents. Avoid using normal 9mm thick pipe insulation in lofts, look for 25mm thick insulation, cut neatly and tape the joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

thanks guys.I'll give it a go. pipes froze on us last year...really want to try prevent this from happening again. Hopefully winter wont be as bad this year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Sadly it might be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ashblag wrote: »
    thanks guys.I'll give it a go. pipes froze on us last year...really want to try prevent this from happening again. Hopefully winter wont be as bad this year:D

I am a firm believer in the technique my father used for years. He had a 100w lightbuld connected in the attic.

His pipes were never lagged and his pipes never frooze...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

ashblag wrote: »

There are "Frost Watcher" heaters availble nowadays. Most electrical wholesalers carry them.

Simple to instal just need a power source/ socket or Fused spur in attic.
    If you don't have power available an electrician could do it fairly easily.
    I find them more convinient and cheaper than fitting the Infa-red heat lamp which also involves more wiring, ceramic bulb holder, fixings, switch and frost thermostat.

Advertisement