Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking on Ben Bulben?

• 09-05-2008 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

What is the easiest way to climb Ben Bulben, and is there a problem with local landowners?

I have been persuaded to go up to Sligo next week to climb the mountain but I have lost faith in the "organiser" who I now realise has not done his homework eg checking the route.

Any Sligo people able to advise, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I would advise you go up the main way,there is a carpark and then a pathway up the mountain,its probably the safest and most frequently used.
    I wouldn't advise going too off track as just a couple of days ago the body of a Polish man was found on the mountain after he had fallen and its expected that he died instantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I would advise you go up the main way,there is a carpark and then a pathway up the mountain,its probably the safest and most frequently used.
    I wouldn't advise going too off track as just a couple of days ago the body of a Polish man was found on the mountain after he had fallen and its expected that he died instantly.
    Oh no did he die? Thats awful sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Does the main way go on yer man "the bull"s land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Many thanks for this advice.

I may suggest these two climb Knocknarea as an alternative - neither of them are Spring Chickens :D - and use your route for another, fitter party.

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Oops my bad I'm after getting Benbulben mixed up with Knocknarea and I didn't realise it until now.
    Can't believe I made the mistake and I've lived in Sligo for nearly 15 years!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Oops my bad I'm after getting Benbulben mixed up with Knocknarea and I didn't realise it until now.
    Can't believe I made the mistake and I've lived in Sligo for nearly 15 years!:o

Worse things happen at sea! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

So, I'm digging up this thread again, which IS the best (safest!!!) route to take? Tried climbing it as a teenager (took the dangerous climb, nearly fell off - won't be doing that again)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

After speaking with Michael Quirke (wood carver, great general knowledge on Sligo, and Irish myth/legend), he doesn't recommend climbing to the top of Ben Bulben - it's mainly bog up there and quite dangerous if you don't know the route.....his advice was don't go unless you have someone who knows the way! :(

I remember climbing part of the mountain with cub scouts, but I don't think we went to the top, or through the Bull's land......:rolleyes:

ems_12 wrote: »
    or through the Bull's land......:rolleyes:

Think I'd rather fall of the North Face than do that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Drive along the Bundoran road .... take the turn off to Ballintrillick, keep going untill you get to a crossroads, turn left .. follow that road round the base of the mountain .. passing a water treatment place .. then you will get to another junction, turn left .. along a small road .. which has a river running along side it .. follow the river until you come to a stone "bridge" - (Luke's Bridge) .. cross the bridge - carefully .. it always scares me! .. drive along the bog road a good bit .. Park the car along the side .. then Walk to gully between Benbulbin and Benwisken ... once at the top of the gully turn right and walk along the top of the mountain .. get to the triangulation point .. then turn left .. keep walking and it will bring you to the .. corner of the mountain .. there is a little triangle of grass here and the view is just amazing! Its a great picnic spot!

The most difficult part is walking up the Gully between the two mountains (and Driving across Lukes Bridge!) you won't be walking over McSharrys land .. you will if you turn left instead of right at the top of the Gully.

Sean

• Advertisement

Thanks Sean, now to hope for decent weather to make the hike ;)

Sorry .. just re-read this and said left instead of right ... correct version below!

Drive along the Bundoran road .... take the turn off on the right to Ballintrillick, keep going until you get to a crossroads, turn right .. follow that road round the base of the mountain .. passing a water treatment place .. then you will get to another junction, turn right .. along a small road .. which has a river running along side it .. follow the river until you come to a stone "bridge" - (Luke's Bridge) .. cross the bridge - carefully .. it always scares me! .. drive along the bog road a good bit - the further u drive along here the less you have to walk!.. Park the car along the side .. then Walk to gully between Benbulbin and Benwisken - on the right hand corner ... once at the top of the gully turn right and walk along the top of the mountain .. get to the triangulation point .. then turn left .. keep walking and it will bring you to the .. corner of the mountain .. there is a little triangle of grass here and the view is just amazing! Its a great picnic spot!

The most difficult part is walking up the Gully between the two mountains (and Driving across Lukes Bridge!) you won't be walking over McSharrys land .. you will if you turn left instead of right at the top of the Gully.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Anyone know if access to Benbulben from Barnaribbon (on the south side) has been blocked and what the reason for doing so is?

I was up that way today and the route I used in previous years (last time was 2006) had a gate that was locked, heightened and had a sign saying "private property" (i.e. it wasn't passable). Coming down from Kings mountain via the shepherd's path we came across an unlocked gate but it also had a "private property; no trespassing sign" (would have put me off going up that way).

Is access to Benbulben a big issue at the moment? I don't personally want to piss people off by crossing their land but leaving no clues about who to contact regarding enquiries isn't particularly helpful (no contact details on any of the signs). i.e. If there are recognised routes to use, I would much prefer to use them (especially if older routes are no longer available).

Scarlet42: I did the north route you mentioned many years ago (probably mid-90s) and it's a tougher walk than on the south side. I personally like the south route because you get to stay in the sun and stay warmer than you typically do in the shade of the north face.

Hi Donal,

haven't heard of any access issues on Benbulbin at the moment .. but I do know there is a new walk setup from Barna Ribbon .. a new car Park has been created and a path leads to road which goes around the base of the mountain. You can get to this from the Bundoran road and follow the BarnaRibbon sign and its at the very top of that round in a Cul-de-sac. .. Its really well done.

Have never done the south route ..maybe this summer.

I went up benwisken a few weeks back .. went up the same route as above but turned left at the top of the gully .. fantastic walk .. views of Benbulbin are amazing ..as are those of the Horseshoe .. there is a fence that runs along the top, which I assume is Mr. McSharrys land .. so didn't cross it. .. got as far as I could and had a lovely lunch overlooking Classie Bawn. Took a more direct route back straight into the bog run in that Valley.

I cycled around Gleniff Valley on Sunday..it was stunning .. even in the rain!

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beatles

Scarlet42, thanks for your detailed guide to Ben Bulben there, I know this thread is years old but we were looking to climb this last week and your guide did the trick beautifully! It was very cloudy at the top at first, but then like magic the clouds blew away and we had the most gorgeous views over all of Sligo/Donegal. Well worth the slog to the top!
    Thanks again

Your Welcome!

Haven't made it up this year .. but there is a twin peaks charity walk up that and Knocknarea in a few weeks time.. so going to do that

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I went to Lukes Bridge today.

Oddly there was a fence blocking the road. It was a makeshift gate.

Also it appears that the sign at the bottom of the road was removed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

That fence is always across the road, it's just to keep the sheep in. Open it and drive on through. Which sign at the bottom of which road is gone? The one on the main road is only up in the last year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

There was a big sign on the main bundoran road. The turn off for lukes bridge from the road between ballintrillick and castlegarren had no sign, but there was a pole on the left hand side which I would say had a finger sign at one point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

It's a pity it's gone, there remains a lot of confusion as to what is the best way to climb Benbulben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's a pity it's gone, there remains a lot of confusion as to what is the best way to climb Benbulben

Indeed, is there an official sligo tourism website that might give advice with maps that anyone knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sponkus

Thinkin of gettin onto benbulben this summer. Any maps online how to get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I just climbed the mountain this week and followed "Scarlet 42" directions post 13 on this forum and they were perfect.

I actually parked at "Luke's Bridge" and walked up the bog road (Only a few hundred metres). There is plenty of room for parking at Luke's Bridge.
    After you walk across the concrete bridge with no sides keep to the right hand track. You eventually run out of track but just cross the bog to the gulley which is clearly in view straight in front of you. Not a particularly difficult ascent from there to the plateau.

The wire across the road is a bit disconcerting but landowners cannot block public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Sponkus wrote: »
    Thinkin of gettin onto benbulben this summer. Any maps online how to get there?

This is quite a good online resource with plenty of info and maps

http://mountainviews.ie/summit/402/?PHPSESSID=amu6kmsf10io3vlka2dnoqh4u3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

joe40 wrote: »
    I just climbed the mountain this week and followed "Scarlet 42" directions post 13 on this forum and they were perfect.

I actually parked at "Luke's Bridge" and walked up the bog road (Only a few hundred metres). There is plenty of room for parking at Luke's Bridge.
    After you walk across the concrete bridge with no sides keep to the right hand track. You eventually run out of track but just cross the bog to the gulley which is clearly in view straight in front of you. Not a particularly difficult ascent from there to the plateau.

The wire across the road is a bit disconcerting but landowners cannot block public roads.

My in laws actually know the guy blocking the road let's say he thinks he owns the mountain the road and the lot a very awkward individual.as Joe40 rightfully says he cannot block the road and the co.co don't seem to be taking any action

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

How long would it take to do this walk up and back roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

~3h as long as i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

loki7777 wrote: »
    ~3h as long as i remember

Gona give it a crack so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Took a drive up towards Luke's bridge a couple of weeks back to find a fence across the road not far from the treatment plant. Leaving a fair hike in and nowhere really to leave the car. Is that normal? Doesn't look like it was easy to move. No sign, just an old hi vis across it, don't see the point of signposting a place of interest if you can't get to it.

Advertisement