Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltachts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I heard of Colaiste Lurgan off a lot of people here too, so it's probably good. I THINK that's where my brother went....

I went to one in Donegal, didn't really enjoy it that much at all but I DID learn quite a lot of Irish. Luckily I went with a friend who was there before because everyone already had their own little groups that they've known from other years there.

You should pick one that does a 3 week course, you'll learn so much more. 2 weeks doesn't really give you enough time to pick up things, but that extra week does.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Stilla Mellis

Cad é an scéal is déanaí ón nGaeltacht? What's the latest from the Gaeltacht? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Mark200 wrote: »
    I heard of Colaiste Lurgan off a lot of people here too, so it's probably good. I THINK that's where my brother went....

I went to one in Donegal, didn't really enjoy it that much at all but I DID learn quite a lot of Irish. Luckily I went with a friend who was there before because everyone already had their own little groups that they've known from other years there.

You should pick one that does a 3 week course, you'll learn so much more. 2 weeks doesn't really give you enough time to pick up things, but that extra week does.

Yeah I went to Colaiste Lurgan last summer. It was strict enough, well organised but there was a great atmosphere in the place. The only problem I had was there were more JCers than LCers. There is a cursa D though which is specifically for LCers, but it's only 2 weeks. Like most gaeltachts they have themed ceilithe like county colours, transvestite :p, certain colours, beach...etc. Also the colaiste owns bikes so each class can go cycling one day.

Suimiúil. Go raibh maith agat. June is generally the course for 5th years going into LC.

Anyone got any experience of these Gaeltacht Cois Baile courses? I heard there was one in Lucan or Leixlip and one in Dundrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Bru Na Pairce.

One of major regrets of the LC is not going there.

2 weeks of hell, but fúck I'd have learned a helluva lot of Irish.

• Advertisement

Where's "Brú na Páirce"? It sounds like a live-in course? I heard my da talking about someplace in Meath called "Brú na Mí" and he seems to have had a great time.

Where's "Brú na Páirce"? It sounds like a live-in course? I heard my da talking about someplace in Meath called "Brú na Mí" and he seems to have had a great time.

Live in, in Kerry I think.

No info on the web afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

90% is gonna be what you make of it yourself anyway.

True but if people in the Gaeltacht insist on speaking English to you because you wouldn't understand the Irish you might as well stay at home.

I think the idea of total immersion is great: you're surrounded by people speaking Irish who pretend they don't know English and follow a well-prepared series of situations where you learn all the vocabulary and grammar and use it over and over again. A few days of that and you'd be fluent in no time. :)

I think some of the Gaeltacht colleges bring in so many English speaking students that it is hard to hear any Irish outside the classroom never mind finding someone to practise with.:mad:

Fad wrote: »
    Bru Na Pairce.

One of major regrets of the LC is not going there.

2 weeks of hell, but fúck I'd have learned a helluva lot of Irish.

Everybody I know who has been there has absolutely hated it. It's very intensive as you have classes in the morning and study in the evening for 2 weeks, except at the weekends. Bru does not foster a love for the language, like other Gaeltacht courses. If you want to learn a lot of Irish I would go to a strict Gaeltacht like Col. na bhfiann, Col. Chamuis or Col. Spleodar, which are known to be strict.

• Advertisement

djcervi wrote: »
    Everybody I know who has been there has absolutely hated it. It's very intensive as you have classes in the morning and study in the evening for 2 weeks, expect at the weekends. Bru does not foster a love for the language, like other Gaeltacht courses. If you want to learn a lot of Irish I would go to a strict Gaeltacht like Col. na bhfiann, Col. Chamuis or Col. Spleodar, which are known to be strict.

That's what I want from an Irish college, I already love the language, I'd prefer two weeks of hating it to the C I'm going to get in August.

I have heard of Coláiste na bhFiann and Coláiste Chamuis but Coláiste Spleodair is a new one on me. Spleodar means "cheerfulness, exuberance, boisterousnous, and vivacity" according to my dictionary.

Has anyone tried learning Irish online? Getting a grind online for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

For anyone who did go to Bru na Pairce, did anyone have Mr. O Murcha/Mrs. Fleming as teachers?

I went to the Gaeltacht three times, all down to Cólaiste Chorca Dhubhine.
    [spelling is already gone out the window]

Two years in Ceann Trá and one year up the road in Cill Mhic an Domhnaigh.
    Had great fun.
    Went on my own the first time in 2nd YR and while I HATED being there and the whole thing [I was an introvert] but I did learn a lot of Irish.

The last two times [4th Yr and 5th Yr] helped my Irish somewhat but was fantastic socially. Always bumping into people from IC now.
    Biggest advantage, despite the fact that my written Irish and my comprehension of grammar didn't really improve, I loved speaking it no matter how wrong it sounded and it gave me a lovely flow of Irish in my oral. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I was wondering when someone would mention Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne ... bloody Connemara and Donegal taking over the place!! :p

Good for you, Snazzy. Have you done your LC yet or what did you get in Irish?

Is Ireland unique in sending young people from the cities to live in the most remote areas and learn an ancestral language? What a project! What a responsibility to pass it on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is Ireland unique in sending young people from the cities to live in the most remote areas and learn an ancestral language? What a project! What a responsibility to pass it on.
    Well, it happens a bit in Scotland too, certainly. Very different there, though, as Gàidhlig is not compulsory in schools, so people do it because they want to ... in fact, the fights there break out because people want to and the school may not have the teachers available! :eek:

But certainly if you visit Sabhal Mòr Ostaig in the south of an t-Eilean Sgitheanach (Skye) during the summer you will meet not only youngsters but often whole families there to learn Gàidhlig / music / dance ... not alone will the college itself be full of them, but they camp out in the grounds! :)

(May happen elsewhere in Scotland as well, I'm only aware of SMO)

I visited Sabhail Mór Ostaig many years ago. Most impressed. Out in the Hebrides where they speak the Gaidhlig still I was sad to hear that although a "bilingual programme" was permitted in the schools the particular school I visited couldn't avail of it because the teacher was from London and didn't have the Gaidhlig.

Out for a walk near Castlebay in Barra and caught by a deluge I took refuge in a community hall. There I heard people speak what I thought was Ulster Irish. It was as plain as that. I complimented a mother for speaking the Gaidhlig to her children. She told me in Gaidhligh that she had nothing else.

We in Ireland should make more of an effort to learn the Gaidhlig. We'd benefit by getting a Protestant Unionist view of things in our own language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nima101

if your going to a gaeltacht dont go to colaiste columba in ceathra rua.Activities are very poorly planned and i didnt learn much irish there.im now going in to 5th year and i am heading to colaiste lugan on sunday.I went to colaiste lurgan 2 years ago and had the best time ever.I learned plenty of irish and the made lots of friends too.Colaiste lurgan is very well organised and it is quite strict.Definetly would reccomend colaiste lurgan to anyone who wants to have fun and learn plenty of irish.Lurgan is also the largest irish college in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

Where's colaiste na oileain?

nima101 wrote: »
    Lurgan is also the largest irish college in Ireland.
    I thought Spleodar was? Lurgan is only in Indreabhan. I'd definitely recommend Lurgan to anyone. It's a great course with a friendly atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Twilighter wrote: »
    Where's colaiste na oileain?

Connemara.

Don't go there.

Google "Coláiste na nOileán" (that's how it's spelled) and I'm sure you'll find lots about it. I wonder is it near "Tír an Fhia" (the land of the deer!) or Leitir Móir or Leitir Mealláin? They used to be islands before the causeways were built. Where ever it is there is beautiful Irish spoken in that area. It is another world, a large area of islands and inlets extending to many miles between the mountains and the sea. Good for the body. Good for the mind. Good for the soul. Good for the Gaeilge. Go and learn it quick before it vanishes and gives way to "Strewth, Roy. You've got an Oirish accent!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Google "Coláiste na nOileán" (that's how it's spelled) and I'm sure you'll find lots about it. I wonder is it near "Tír an Fhia" (the land of the deer!) or Leitir Móir or Leitir Mealláin? They used to be islands before the causeways were built. Where ever it is there is beautiful Irish spoken in that area. It is another world, a large area of islands and inlets extending to many miles between the mountains and the sea. Good for the body. Good for the mind. Good for the soul. Good for the Gaeilge. Go and learn it quick before it vanishes and gives way to "Strewth, Roy. You've got an Oirish accent!"

Wow, how poetic are you?!

It's actually on Garumna, and it's about half way between Leitir Móir and Leitir Meallain. It's just opposite the football pitch there. (pitch as featured on in the name of the fada ^^)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

aine-maire wrote: »
    Connemara.

Don't go there.

Oh, I though it was another name for Colaise Arainn Mhor, Donegal..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Real irish?Donegal, enough said

Poetic? Fileata? Go raibh maith agat, a Áine-Máire. Is maith liom an ceantar sin.

Yeah Colaiste arainn mhor is a crap gaeltacht. I didn't think there was a great atmosphere in the place at all. <snip>. The focus is a holiday 2bh. Choose Spleodar or Lurgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seacláid-te

Hey, gach duine!! Ta 11 cursaí gaeltachta deanta agam i gcolaistí eagsula ar fud na tire ar nos an rinn, Lurgan, Columba, Chiaráin agus Spleodar!
    Gan dabht ar bith , Bhí SPLEODAR an ceann is fearr! Ni labhraionn tu ach Gaeilge amhain agus bionn craic den scoth ann!
    Bionn Colaiste na n-oilean ag labhairt Bearla an tam ar fad agus taim ag caint faoin bhfoireann!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Go to a spleodar camp,if you have any interest in irish, go and your confidence will be increased ten-fold. I wouldn't recommend any gaeltacht in Carraroe they aren't strict at all!!! Its serious craic ach in the end you go to learn irish. Spleodar all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I went to colaiste cholumba in carraroe in 2005.It was a good laugh but it was a dive.I remember paying a certain amount to go on a trip.The trip was supposed to be to Galway city and to a swimming pool.We went to a crappy shopping centre and then the swimming pool was closed.I did learn a good bit of Irish though but at what cost?The thing that was good about the place was we were all in it together.It was one of those things where we made the most out of it but no thanks to the college itself.

Advertisement